I want to maybe help clear up some things:

First, iPhone does NOT have true multitaksing. They have a "qucik app-switcher" similar to the one that BB has but once you navigate away from apps, they are CLOSED not cached like BB and Android. When you go back they will have to be restarted. Exceptions: Phone, iPod, and Safari (when it wants to) will still load pages, and maybe a couple others. Android and BB allow for apps to still be open in the background. Ex. Pandora will stop playing music on iPhone but not on BB and Android...Ex. WordMole will pick up at the same place and level where you left off, AngryBirds on iOS will not. What apple implemented is just a "recent programs" tab (double-click home).

Second, the simultaneous Voice/Data thing is carrier-technology dependent, not phone manufacturer dependent. GSM technologies allow for them to run simultaneously, simple as that (even on EDGE). CDMA tech does not. 4G LTE phones can do it because data is 4G and Voice is only 3G (for the time being). Also, it will only work if you have 4G coverage. The exception to this rule is in the post above mine.

Hope this helped
    G Wilson
    05-24-11 12:37 PM
    I want to maybe help clear up some things:

First, iPhone does NOT have true multitaksing. They have a "qucik app-switcher" similar to the one that BB has but once you navigate away from apps, they are CLOSED not cached like BB and Android. When you go back they will have to be restarted. Exceptions: Phone, iPod, and Safari (when it wants to) will still load pages, and maybe a couple others. Android and BB allow for apps to still be open in the background. Ex. Pandora will stop playing music on iPhone but not on BB and Android...Ex. WordMole will pick up at the same place and level where you left off, AngryBirds on iOS will not. What apple implemented is just a "recent programs" tab (double-click home).

Second, the simultaneous Voice/Data thing is carrier-technology dependent, not phone manufacturer dependent. GSM technologies allow for them to run simultaneously, simple as that (even on EDGE). CDMA tech does not. 4G LTE phones can do it because data is 4G and Voice is only 3G (for the time being). Also, it will only work if you have 4G coverage. The exception to this rule is in the post above mine.

Hope this helped
    G Wilson
    Some gsm handsets even allow it over gprs, the 9700 does it for example.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-11 12:40 PM
    Ex. Pandora will stop playing music on iPhone but not on BB and Android...Ex. WordMole will pick up at the same place and level where you left off, AngryBirds on iOS will not. What apple implemented is just a "recent programs" tab (double-click home).
    This is actually not accurate; in fact, Pandora was used to demo iOS 4's multitasking API "background audio.".

Pandora: Pandora Background Listening for iPhone OS 4

There are multitasking APIs falling into the following categories:

Background audio
    Voice over IP
    Background location
    Push notifications
    Local notification
    Task finishing
    Fast app switching

Cumulatively this is a little more than a "recent programs" tab.
    05-24-11 12:46 PM
    What sucks is majority of sales reps don't know what they are talking about.

Not all, people who are reps that frequent here or other cell phone forums know what they are talking about.
    05-25-11 05:27 AM
    Sometimes blackberry multitasks too much, if I'm listening to music and browsing at the same time and then I open a video in youtube they both play at the same time lol

05-25-11 05:33 AM
    I like how the BlackBerry multitasks. I think the only downside is when it pauses music if a notification comes in (especially when I'm streaming something).

The Thunderbolt does simultaneous data and voice over 3G. It was the first handset to take advantage of SVDO instead of just EVDO. Even if you are outside of LTE coverage, it can do both at the same time.

On Android, you have applications and services. Applications don't multitask, services do. So, an app like Pandora has a portion of the app that is a service. It connects to their server and streams the music. It has a portion that is also an application, which is the user interface. When you move an application to the background, the application portion stops, but the underlying service keeps running. Chat apps like LiveProfile have a service that listens for pushed messages, while the interface can be started or stopped. It's just an interesting way to handle multitasking.
    05-25-11 07:00 AM
    I like how the BlackBerry multitasks. I think the only downside is when it pauses music if a notification comes in (especially when I'm streaming something).

The Thunderbolt does simultaneous data and voice over 3G. It was the first handset to take advantage of SVDO instead of just EVDO. Even if you are outside of LTE coverage, it can do both at the same time.

On Android, you have applications and services. Applications don't multitask, services do. So, an app like Pandora has a portion of the app that is a service. It connects to their server and streams the music. It has a portion that is also an application, which is the user interface. When you move an application to the background, the application portion stops, but the underlying service keeps running. Chat apps like LiveProfile have a service that listens for pushed messages, while the interface can be started or stopped. It's just an interesting way to handle multitasking.
    I have an 9700 with OS6 and notifications don't pause audio or video, you hear them on top of the music or video sound and the notification sound comes trough the headset now.

05-25-11 07:44 AM
    its a cdma thing, the qualcomm chips cant do multiple audio streams
    05-25-11 07:49 AM
    Correct. My Style is CDMA and OS6 and it does briefly pause the music to send a tone for alerts.
    05-25-11 09:45 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD