I believe most of us paid a premium to own a legitimate Blackberry device. BB devices always had BBM, well, for a long time anyway.

Okay, remove our distinction and give BBM to Apple and Android and Windows devices. So there went one more benefit of owning a BB device - we had BBM.

Now they throw advertising into the BBM mix. Sure, fine, throw the ads at Apple and Android and Windows devices. At least provide some level of reward for folks who have stuck with BB through thick and rather thin and still pretty skinny.

Remove ads from BBM on Blackberry devices. It is the least BB can do for the loyalists.

I just had to vent!
    03-05-15 05:45 PM
    What makes you think BlackBerry cares about their fans?
    FF22 and nah.uhh like this.
    03-05-15 06:18 PM
    I agree I'm annoyed at being spammed on BBM. Getting worse and worse. They want you to pay them not to get spammed, so I expect them to flood BBM with garbage to try and "motivate" people to pay them to make it stop. Sad!

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-05-15 06:39 PM
    Does BBM use phone's data allowance? Are the ADS using data? If BBM does use data and the ads use data then I guess the lesson one can take is that is don't use BBM because it will subtract from your data allotment.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    03-05-15 06:49 PM
    Or maybe they just have an ad budget that has to be used strategically

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:00 PM
    The most annoying part is not the ads but the fact that you can't even uninstall the app

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 07:04 PM
    I get more Spam on BBM than on WhatsApp using Android. I've received 10 spams in WhatsApp in the past 2 years. On BBM I receive one Spam invite every 2 days. It's really annoying
    03-05-15 07:44 PM
    I get more Spam on BBM than on WhatsApp using Android. I've received 10 spams in WhatsApp in the past 2 years. On BBM I receive one Spam invite every 2 days. It's really annoying
    Is it really that bad? I admit that I stopped using BBM a while ago because no one I know uses it now, but that was before the ads came.

Spam every couple of days is pretty insane. Lots of folks complain about Google and ads, but I can honestly say that I've never ever seen a single ad in google hangouts. So sad how low BBM has sanked.
    03-05-15 08:01 PM
    BlackBerry isn't interested in making BBM a great messaging platform. Instead, they've apparently focused their development time into social media features, ad delivery, and a shop where they can push stickers 24/7. They seem to be under the impression that BBM is a must-have app with a dominant market share. I just don't get what they're thinking.

I think we all expect those kinds of things when installing 3rd party apps and games, but BBM is a core BlackBerry application that doesn't allow you to sign out, and can't be uninstalled. It's definitely a negative when looking at the BlackBerry OS as a whole.
    03-05-15 08:05 PM
    Calm down. It's not that bad. I know maybe us users shouldn't get the ads but whatever. Just live your lives to the fullest and don't let the little things bother you

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:11 PM
    Is it really that bad? I admit that I stopped using BBM a while ago because no one I know uses it now, but that was before the ads came.

Spam every couple of days is pretty insane. Lots of folks complain about Google and ads, but I can honestly say that I've never ever seen a single ad in google hangouts. So sad how low BBM has sanked.
    The Spam is working as I plan to pay for the Ad free BBM. I don't have the patience to clear the unwanted invites
    03-05-15 08:11 PM

I'm okay with Spam if I don't pay for the App. However, I thought the PIN system is private so my expectation was more privacy in the beginning.
    03-05-15 08:15 PM
    Calm down. It's not that bad. I know maybe us users shouldn't get the ads but whatever. Just live your lives to the fullest and don't let the little things bother you

Posted via CB10
    Yep.

Just click it away and thank God that BlackBerry is still alive and your device still works... :-)

(I hated online ads for most of my digital life, but sometimes you discover something you're really grateful for...)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    03-05-15 08:21 PM
    To each their own; advertising on BlackBerry devices is not tacky. Ads are prevalent in everyday life. BlackBerry must make money for us to continue to enjoy having new devices made.

Posted via CB10
    FrankUnderwood likes this.
    03-06-15 07:44 AM
    To each their own; advertising on BlackBerry devices is not tacky. Ads are prevalent in everyday life. BlackBerry must make money for us to continue to enjoy having new devices made.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Ads are everywhere. On TV, surfing the Internet, driving down the street. I have trained myself to pretty much ignore them.

Z30 STA100-5 running 10.3.1.2267
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-06-15 07:56 AM
    I agree. It's antithetical to the BlackBerry Phone experience. BBM is a core app, and I expect to receive it without spam my ads that I can't disable. I never have, and never will, add stickers to my BBM, so stop sending me invites!

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 07:59 AM
    Apple has advertising on their iProducts...

I can't speak for all Android products but the Samsung ones I've had to deal with also has ads...

Twitter has ads...

Facebook has ads...

That's how they make money. For BBM you can buy ad free...it will just cost you some money. So what is it worth to you?

How did I know about that? I saw an ad on my BBM.

You don't see BBM advertisements unless you visit the Store section so, don't go there and you won't see ads in a store.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-06-15 08:05 AM
    BlackBerry has to make money. It's certainly not from Apps, so why not advertising? Maybe they can increase the price of stickers...
    03-06-15 08:13 AM
    I think most people would rather just get in the habit of "Tuning out" the ads as they go by, over reverting back to the pre BB10 days when they had to pay an extra $5/mo for BB's services. And the data consumption is so minuscule, it's negligible and not worth monitoring.
    03-06-15 08:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    They aren't making a device I want for at least another year though. If they are abandoning all touch, and going to spam me on my all touch device to make money to focus on PKB devices, then it simply makes things more frustrating.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 08:55 AM
    I agree. It's antithetical to the BlackBerry Phone experience. BBM is a core app, and I expect to receive it without spam my ads that I can't disable. I never have, and never will, add stickers to my BBM, so stop sending me invites!

Posted via CB10
    As if that will work. Why don't you rant to you TV network to stop bombarding you with ads as well. Get over it!

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 08:57 AM
    Agreed OP, I disappointed too we BlackBerry user didn't have special thing..

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    03-06-15 09:06 AM
    I understand the need for BlackBerry to make money through advertising. However if it is going to be like this I don't want BBM...

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...berry-1004202/
    03-06-15 09:37 AM
    I also agree with OP.

1) They are already making money:
    Me and probably many others already purchased some stickers from BlackBerry.

2) They should offer the stuff the customers really want:
    Their target group is willing to pay for privacy and security.
    Typically this target group doesn't like ads, but would certainly pay for a BBM Protected in the consumer space.

3) Be consistent:
    Didn't they promise us in the beginning that ads would be totally unobstrusive (like getting 2-3 ads per month, but not more)?

I prefer BBM over other messengers because of the Video/Call features and "good enough"-security, but when you know they could do it so much better and they could make so much more money... sometimes I could go

Blackberry devices should not be subject to advertising in BBM - tacky, at the least.-009pp2_john_cleese_001.jpg
    03-06-15 09:39 AM
    Agreed ads should only be for non BlackBerry devices

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 02:23 PM