I'm a long-time Windows Mobile user and one of the things I really like about the platform is that I can sync with two systems and not just one. I use this to keep my work and home contacts synchronized.

Work has suggested that I get a Blackberry. Does the Blackberry Desktop Software allow you to sync with more than one computer? I'd really hate to lose this functionality and the sales folks at the AT&T store knew virtually nothing about the sync software.

Thanks!
    -greg
    01-31-08 09:26 PM
    I'm a long-time Windows Mobile user and one of the things I really like about the platform is that I can sync with two systems and not just one. I use this to keep my work and home contacts synchronized.

Work has suggested that I get a Blackberry. Does the Blackberry Desktop Software allow you to sync with more than one computer? I'd really hate to lose this functionality and the sales folks at the AT&T store knew virtually nothing about the sync software.

Thanks!
    -greg
    Yup, Loaded at Home, Work and the Laptop.
    01-31-08 09:28 PM
    Gregs right. I sync with work and my laptop with no problem. I came from WM5 and with WM5 you are confined to syncing with only 2 computers. With the BB you can virtually sync with unlimited number of computers. I love my Berry It is much more stable than my WM5 device. The BB just works! Get a BB....especially if work is going to pay for it. You'll love it
    01-31-08 09:49 PM
    Thanks guys! That kills the last concern I had about switching.

Now all that's left is to decide between the Curve and the 8820. Wi- fi or spaceport keyboard... But that's for another thread!

-greg
    02-01-08 09:07 AM
    The Blackberry Desktop Software syncs with Outlook on multiple PC's very nicely, but there are a couple things to keep in mind.

First, since you're coming from Windows Mobile you need to keep in mind that the sync is not continuos. It will perform a sync once when you connect it, but you will have to kick off subsquent sync's manually. Any changes you make to Outlook data will not be passed through to the Blackberry until you kick off the next sync.

Second, if your Blackberry will be tied to BES then any PIM function that you have set to sync wirelessly cannot be sync'd via the Desktop Software on any PC. For example, if you sync the Address Book wirelessly you cannot sync it to a PC using. You can do one or the other, but not both.
    02-01-08 10:35 AM
    Interesting. I'll definitely be using BES but I thought that BES only synced those things stored on the Exchange server, not those in your personal .pst file (such as my personal contacts).

Hmm... so does that mean I tell it not to sync the address book? (I'm sure some of this is obvious once I start playing with it, but I'm data driven and like to know as much as possible going in.)

Thanks!
    -greg
    02-01-08 01:59 PM
    I suspect there is something in the security policy that can be pushed to Blackberries tied to BES that would prevent someone from doing that, but sans policy restrictions you can choose what PIM functions get sync'd wirelessly and which do not. If you want to sync your address book between multiple PC's then you can't sync it wirelessly and you will need to be able to install the Desktop Software on each PC you want to sync the addresss book to.

When you use the wireless sync through BES it sync's directly with your Exchange mailbox and not Outlook.

What I do with my Tilt, which is running Blackberry Connect and tied to BES, is set the calendar as the only PIM function to sync wirelessly. That way when I get calendar items via email I can accept them on my Tilt and they get applied to my calendar on Exchange. The rest I sync through ActiveSync on my office and home PC. You can do the same with a Blackberry and the Desktop Software if your security policy allows it.
    02-01-08 02:27 PM
    Interesting, radimus. I suppose if the policies are set that way at the office I can always use my old phone as a sync conduit between home and work from time to time.

-greg
    02-01-08 08:58 PM
    That's an option if you can do so. For most of the time that I had a Blackberry I had it sync wirelessly with Exchange and used a Dell X51v as the conduit to keep the same Outlook data sync'd between two PC's. Everything worked out fine. Changes sync'd to Outlook from the Blackberry got transferred to the Dell via ActiveSync and vice versa.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-08 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD