I have always wondered: Was all BlackBerrys designed with dark environments in mind?

The back lit keypad seems to be an indicator that it wishes to be shown off on a mountain top or other places without light. If that is so, would it not be more convenient to have a built in Flashlight application since we are in the dark so often?

If it was not designed to be used in the dark, then why is there back lit keypads? It never seems to turn off, even during sufficient lighted areas.

// I love my BlackBerry, but I wish to hear your side of the story.
    06-17-11 04:53 AM
    Flash light- start video camera, hit space, now you got yourself a flashlight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    justineporter likes this.
    06-17-11 05:08 AM
    Flash light- start video camera, hit space, now you got yourself a flashlight.
    I never knew that! But I also never use my BB for a flash light anyway.
    06-17-11 06:31 AM
    With non-backlit keypads, there can be difficulties in dim environments seeing the right keys for typing and dialing. Dusk, dawn, if the power goes out, if you're walking under a canopy of trees,, if a bad storm is coming up, if you're a teenager texting under your covers at night...

So yes, in effect, the BB is designed to be able to function in dark environments as well as normally-lit environments.
    06-17-11 08:44 AM
    With non-backlit keypads, there can be difficulties in dim environments seeing the right keys for typing and dialing. Dusk, dawn, if the power goes out, if you're walking under a canopy of trees,, if a bad storm is coming up, if you're a teenager texting under your covers at night...

So yes, in effect, the BB is designed to be able to function in dark environments as well as normally-lit environments.
    What are you on about? Lol I thought all phones with keyboards had keyboard light, never had a phone without it.

06-17-11 08:56 AM
    The backlit keyboard is just another part of BlackBerry's world class design. And mine shuts off all the time in well lit areas.

06-17-11 10:45 AM
    Oh, it seems as if I am the only person who has a BlackBerry that has back lights that does not go out when I am inside buildings such as my school. Is there a way to set the sensitivity so it will go out at a certain brightness?

Thank you all, those were very interesting replies.
    06-17-11 06:54 PM
    For most users' convenience, BB always lights its keyboard when we touch it for making a call or begin composing a message or just wake it from standby state.
    However, it doesn't light all the time. During I make a call, the keyboard backlight keeps lighting for a while, not all the call. It means that the keyboard just lights for a little amount of time at the beginning when we use. This happens when I play a video: the keyboard backlight shines for a while and then turn off, only the screen is lighting.
    06-18-11 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD