04-12-08 04:25 PM
- Hey there guys,
So I'm new to the BB and all things that go along with it. I haven't even really had a cell phone before so I'm in all at once here.
I have some general questions on a few things so if you have the answer, then shoot them my way! Thanks!
1) What is the difference between SMS and MMS?
2) What EXACTLY counts towards your data plan?? I am in Canada and on Bell and as you know we get shafted with data plans.. I have a measly 4mb and all I have done is check golf scores once and I'm almost at 1mb already. Does the act of simply GETTING an E-mail count towards it? So if you got spammed a lot your data goes up.. etc.. etc..
Does Texting count towards data usage even if you have an unlimited texting option on your contract?
Is there a way to find out exactly WHAT contributed to your data usage for the day. For example, a list that tells you, 1MB emails, 1MB internet, 2MB program downloads.. etc..etc..
3) I'm assuming it's possible to use the BlackBerry Destop Manager to load apps like the facebook app and the Messenger app without having to use my phone. Which, in turn, should avoid using up the next to no data that I have available to me right?
Actually my most pressing questions really revolve around DATA usage I guess by looking at it. I have 150 minutes of local or long distane call time and unlimited after 6pm and I think that will be just fine for me so far.
The only thing that really has me worried is the DATA costs I guess.. it isn't cheap and it costs a ton for VERY little.
I just want to be able to do my talking.. send my texts.. and once in a while check the net (maybe once every couple days) without getting completely raped but I'm paying a good chunk of money for what I feel is very little right now.
And it basically boils down to DATA.. it's just annoying me and it's the only thing dragging down the purchase of my first BlackBerry ever.04-12-08 03:56 PM
- Oh another quick question,
Well start with a statement. If blackberry comes out with a CURVE or whatever their next phone is with GPS AAAAND WIFI then obviously people will be all over it.
But the ADVANTAGE of WiFi, if I'm not wrong.. would be that you could.. for example, be at HOME.. with a WIFI connection available to the phone and use the WIFI connection to download all your apps.. surf the net.. send emails.. ALL THAT.. and it WOULD NOT count towards your data usage. Am I correct in this?
I don't know for sure but I work in a bank in a small town and I think that either the whole downtown core, or my bank, or at very least the coffee shop nearby has free wifi.
My home has a WiFi connection also...
I would be able to then have access to all my BB functions basically FREE of cost right?
That would be EXTREMELY beneficial obviously!04-12-08 04:05 PM
- Hi & Welcome to CB!
SMS = text messages only
MMS = multi media messages, text pictures etc.
SMS will use your text allowance
Data = Instant messaging, emails, possibly MMS, internet use and applications.
You could download an application called mini moni which counts your data, it does not break it down into each application though.
Last edited by Hazysky; 04-12-08 at 04:20 PM.04-12-08 04:12 PM
- I have the unlimited data plan, so that may be the case, I probably wouldn't be able to figure it out anyway, but the plan details say unlimited Pix and Flix and text, but my hubby has a non-BB (it confuses him) on the same plan, so maybe that's referring to him...04-12-08 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD