Hi guys, new to the site.

First of all, I understand this has been answered on different threads but little things like Providers and iPhone models make my situation a little different.

I'm on a 24 month contract with Orange with the Blackberry Data Plan and I'm now bored of the 8520 Curve

I'm looking into a PAYG iPhone 3GS (obviously on Orange) and I'm wondering whether I'd be able to use the internet i.e. to surf the web, check emails, Facebook etc using the BB Data Plan.

I've searched through god knows how many forums trying to find the answer and most say that it is possible if you change a few settings on the iPhone.

Can anyone help me finalise what most forums say?
    Will it really work?

(Bare in mind that using an Orange phone for this may differ to one on a network like AT&T or Verizon)

Also I could change my bundle from "BlackBerry email �5" to the "Mobile Internet 500MB for �5" one, would that be a way around it?

Thanks for any help,
    much appreciated.
    07-26-10 09:00 AM
    I believe that if you have a BB data plan active on your account, that you would be able to access the web applications on the iPhone, but I'm not 100% sure. I know that it doesn't work the other way around. Not 100% sure how it works on Orange...
    07-26-10 09:21 AM
    A BB data plan will work on any device, a non-BB data plan will work on anything except a BB.
    07-26-10 09:46 AM
    thanks for the quick replies lads,

I see you are both on American Providers, which may (although doubtful) differ to our across the pond ones such as Orange & O2.

I'll wait for a few English replies to confirm what you've said, many thanks anyway for your help you've been great.
    07-26-10 09:51 AM
    The two member replying represent both Canada and USA.

I could change my bundle from "BlackBerry email �5" to the "Mobile Internet 500MB for �5" one, would that be a way around it?
    Yes, and your best choice if you will be retiring the BlackBerry. If you choose to keep both devices, stay with your BlackBerry plan.
    07-26-10 09:56 AM
    The two member replying represent both Canada and USA.

Yes, and your best choice if you will be retiring the BlackBerry. If you choose to keep both devices, stay with your BlackBerry plan.
    Ah fantastic, yes the blackberry will be going to a family member with a different sim.

Is it just me who thinks this is a huge glitch? Most iPhone contracts cost at least 30GBP for the very very very least amount of features. Whereas this will cost me 20 for a decent Internet allowance and Unlimited texts and 100 minutes.
    07-26-10 10:07 AM
    Just to clarify,

will I have to change certain settings in order for the Internet to work on the iPhone?

A few sites suggest I would have to mess around with the APN settings.
    07-26-10 12:53 PM
    Here's exactly what you need to do

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/how...a-plan-348311/

Someone in that thread claims that all is good even on 4.0 now
    07-26-10 01:28 PM
    Here's exactly what you need to do

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/how...a-plan-348311/

Someone in that thread claims that all is good even on 4.0 now
    Thanks The Maestro,

so in a quick summary I have to -

change my extra to the 500mb Data Plan
    use the unlockit.co.nz OR change the APN settings through the network settings on the iPhone

then I should be set to go

Many thanks to everyone who has helped,
    the community here is a lot friendlier than the one at blackberry forums who basically told me to ring Orange and get the f*ck off their page.
    07-27-10 06:17 AM
    I'm in Canada, but I use my iPhone with a BB-specific plan, with NOTHING changed.

I just pop the SIM into whichever phone I want, change nothing and I'm good to go.

That said, I don't use either of these phones much, as they are backups for my "main" BB, which is on a different carrier.
    07-27-10 06:30 AM
    Surely the provider won't make a difference, whether its Orange or Verizon.

It's a pity the new iPhone 4 won't except my SIM as it needs the micro one.
    07-27-10 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD