An updated BlackBerry Z10 with better specs and bigger battery will be a dream come true...

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 and LuisCast like this.
    07-05-15 03:37 AM
    I'd agree with you on the touchscreen front. The z30 is a great phone but it's a high turnover market. You need to keep the new phones coming. BlackBerry has focused on keyboard phones and neglected the touchscreens. You need to do both in the modern smartphone marketplace.

Posted via CB10
    you need to re-think it. BlackBerry has focused on enterprise and qnx implementation and neglected the consumer smartphone market. They're going at their own pace and rules.
    07-05-15 04:23 AM
    BlackBerry has a distinct advantage of knowing who their present customer base is and what they're asking for.
    In every forum they're tons of loyal BlackBerry users being very descriptive as to what Form Factor (whether Z or Q) they want to purchase. And they also give the features and level of performance they expect in a BlackBerry Device.

It's just up to BlackBerry to put out the product that their customers are asking for and resist the urge to manufacture what they feel they should have .
    I think BlackBerry has been listening to their followers in the forums to some extent, but unfortunately, that has been part of the problem. These BlackBerry fans are the ones who will buy what BlackBerry puts out anyway, but that's clearly not enough. BlackBerry should instead start listening to what the other 99.5% of the world has to say!
    07-05-15 05:50 AM
    ????????

My point was giving honest, rounded reviews instead of uninformed opinions spiked with inflammatory language. BlackBerry will not be recapturing the position it enjoyed prior to the iPhone or Galaxy any time soon but it does have a secure following. That could grow based on more objective reviews.

Take this excerpt from CNET:
    "The good: The BlackBerry Leap smartphone is a plain workhorse with BlackBerry's productivity and security pedigree.

The bad: The Amazon app store is missing many popular apps found on Google Play, or Apple's iOS app store.

The bottom line: The BlackBerry Leap ditches a physical keyboard to lure folks looking for a modern smartphone experience, but a lack of apps and a lackluster camera keep this device behind the competition.

Based on that I'd give it a look because, as I said, it suits my NEEDS. In fact CNET's only negatives were based on its lack of frills like a variety of keyboards and apps.

It has a great OS (the best out there in my opinion) I have 2 friends that converted from the S5's after seeing my Q10 and one who returned her iPhone 6 after seeing my Passport so they are turning a few heads. They preferred the BlackBerry OS to that driving their devices.

At $275 ( unlocked on Amazon) for a workhorse, as opposed to a thoroughbred, is a pretty good deal. (You're still looking at $400+ for an unlocked Galaxy S5). And it is not as if the OP could obtain what he or she wants from Amazon? And what's wrong with the Z30. Everyone I know with one has had theirs over a year and still loves it. I really don't understand his or her "2 cents".
    And for around the same price range you can purchase vastly superior phones from android the zenfone 2 and alcatel idol 3 or Windows phone the lumia 640 or 640xl. BlackBerry doesn't operate in a vacuum they are competing against platforms with much better ecosystems and hardware

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and Ed YANG like this.
    07-05-15 06:38 AM
    I hope they make another version of the z10. That's the perfect phone size for an all touch screen. I'm currently using a q10 which I love. But miss the bigger screen. I think I'm going to buy another z10 now the software has been updated. I hear the battery life is a lot better now.

Posted via CB10
    The battery life is better on mine but results differ and I doubt that it will match your Q10.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 07:17 AM
    BlackBerry has a distinct advantage of knowing who their present customer base is and what they're asking for.
    In every forum they're tons of loyal BlackBerry users being very descriptive as to what Form Factor (whether Z or Q) they want to purchase. And they also give the features and level of performance they expect in a BlackBerry Device.

It's just up to BlackBerry to put out the product that their customers are asking for and resist the urge to manufacture what they feel they should have .

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry isn't trying to sell to current BlackBerry users they are trying to sell to the tens of millions of former users who left for android or iPhone the last five years.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 08:36 AM
    I have the z10 and the leap. The leap actually performs better than the z10 in my opinion. Much better battery life as well.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-05-15 09:40 AM
    @ aha:

Fair points (though for the record everybody reads reviews prior to the purchase of their phone; maybe that's why I'm a minority).

It reminds me of one of my favorite Einstein quotes: "Two things I know of are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. It is the former I am unsure of. "
    DolemiteDONS and aha like this.
    07-05-15 10:33 AM
    It's not about ideas, it's about execution. If you don't have a team of talents to execute, it doesn't matter what you throw on to the market.

Drop the mic, good sir. Well said.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 07-05-15 at 10:59 AM.
    07-05-15 10:43 AM
    Microsoft is losing money on every phone they sell. They can afford it and are trying to do anything they can to gain market share. BlackBerry can not afford that strategy. Take the Microsoft 640 for example. The specs are not that bad but would you honestly say that at $99 they are making money? No way.
    07-05-15 11:23 AM
    they would sell more phones if people knew they still existed. i have heard "i didnt know they still make phoes" while being asked about my passport...
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-05-15 11:42 AM
    I have the z10 and the leap. The leap actually performs better than the z10 in my opinion. Much better battery life as well.

Posted via CB10
    Correct. Same impression here.
    There must be optimizations in the Leap (and its software?), the fact that both have pretty much the same specs doesn't fully explain it. Ahhh, the Z10's screen is a bit wider (more horizontal pixels 768 vs 720, iirc), so more pixels to push...

:-D

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    07-05-15 12:38 PM
    Mate, till you understand the project plan for building a newly designed device (and I am not only referring to the build) then you will keep thrashing your 2 cents across this forum.

The demand for the spec device you want and thinking should be on the market is not a strategic objective at the moment.

Take for instance the rumored BlackBerry Android device... if this is true, then let's hope that the market takes to the Android only and forgetting that it is manufactured by BlackBerry. It floods the market and BlackBerry moves into a comfortable position where the device division has enough funds to develop two OS simultaneously, then you will get what your just deserve. Till then, BlackBerry's focus is on the regulated market & it's software strategy. The end-to-end solution is developed for the regulated market and organisations outside of this focus who has the capital to invest in such.

Do your research mate rather than blurting words of ignorance.
    07-05-15 05:05 PM
    A bit frustrating!
    #bb4life #TriniAmericanPassport
    07-05-15 05:07 PM
    they would sell more phones if people knew they still existed. i have heard "i didnt know they still make phoes" while being asked about my passport...
    I absolutely get this response all day long. It's a bit frustrating!!

#bb4life #TriniAmericanPassport
    07-05-15 05:09 PM
    This right here... the biggest single reason for BlackBerry's failure... and it could have been so different...

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 07:05 PM
    the external speaker quality is probably the worst speaker I've ever heard on a modern smartphone
    The Leap's external speaker is pretty poor, but I would not go as far as what you just claimed.
    07-05-15 07:32 PM
    The Leap's external speaker is pretty poor, but I would not go as far as what you just claimed.
    If you can find me a phone from a major manufacturer released in 2014 or 15 that has a worse speaker then I'll take it back. I'm not talking stereo or anything fancy. The muffled rattling that comes out the Leaps external speaker is embarrassing for a phone that's supposed to pride itself on business use.
    07-05-15 07:52 PM
    And for around the same price range you can purchase vastly superior phones from android the zenfone 2 and alcatel idol 3 or Windows phone the lumia 640 or 640xl. BlackBerry doesn't operate in a vacuum they are competing against platforms with much better ecosystems and hardware

Posted via CB10
    The phones you mention might have superior hardware, but an inferior OS. For my purposes, a vastly inferior OS that takes them out of contention completely. I have found that I am much less productive on an Android phone or an iPhone, and that's my only measure of value. I have not spent enough time with Windows phones to have an opinion.

If you want to play games and/or run a lot of native Android apps, then select the phone that suits your needs. My phone is for work and communication. And for that, BB10 can't be beat.

I own and have experimented extensively with Android phones and tablets, iPhones and iPads
    I own half a dozen devices that I use for testing web site functionality, but I am much faster on the tasks that get me paid on my two and a half year old Z10 than on my Phone 6+ or my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. Sure they are both sexy devices. But that doesn't mean I can get more work done on them.

Despite how zippy they feel, their speed doesn't increase my productivity. I don't type faster, send more emails, or manage my calls and tasks any better. They don't have the Hub, Blend, or the typing experience that I get with my BB10 phone. Moreover, I detest the Safari browser experience on iPhone and iPad and find the mobile version of Chrome messy and annoying. 90% of the time I prefer the Native BlackBerry browser to both.

And please don't get me started on how ridiculously inefficient the Home Button is on iPhone and Android.

Perhaps the Windows phone might be a contender after Windows 10 comes out with the new Edge browser. We'll see.

Every day, I choose my Z10 to take to work over the best current Android phones and iPhones, which sit at my desk in my home office for testing purposes only.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 11:27 PM
    Mate, till you understand the project plan for building a newly designed device (and I am not only referring to the build) then you will keep thrashing your 2 cents across this forum.

The demand for the spec device you want and thinking should be on the market is not a strategic objective at the moment.

Take for instance the rumored BlackBerry Android device... if this is true, then let's hope that the market takes to the Android only and forgetting that it is manufactured by BlackBerry. It floods the market and BlackBerry moves into a comfortable position where the device division has enough funds to develop two OS simultaneously, then you will get what your just deserve. Till then, BlackBerry's focus is on the regulated market & it's software strategy. The end-to-end solution is developed for the regulated market and organisations outside of this focus who has the capital to invest in such.

Do your research mate rather than blurting words of ignorance.
    Mate, do you have any facts that would suggest that regulated customers are buying BlackBerry phones in numbers that might make the phone division profitable? How many phones were sold in support of the end to end solution or is this notion just a corporate spin?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 12:49 AM
    Sorry to interrupt... I personally do not think the LEAP is trash. But it's really an overpriced device with mediocre hardware specification device which is much expensive than any other makes in the market.
    Should the initial had not dropped to date, i wouldn't hesitate to get 2 LUMIA 640 for the price of one LEAP.
    Now it dropped, but not as much as i expected.
    Some folks disagree with me that i and some small numbers of Crackberrians are too focus on hardware specs rather than the niche-ness of the exclusive OS. Let's be frank and look around, are buyers putting their focuses on the OS as much as what the hardware and price can offer?
    No matter how high the specs, no mater how powerful the hardware, the device is only as good as the OS which is using that hardware. A cumbersome and inefficient OS will gobble up hardware resources - that is why such high-spec devices become necessary.

In my own opinion, BB OS10 is efficient. It does not require such high hardware specs in order to achieve the same (or better) performance than its competitors on devices with higher hardware specs.

As with any business, I guess you have to decide on your policy, and how you balance your focus when it comes to input costs. Good designers, developers, programmers and systems analysts, cost more, but you end up with a reliable, secure and efficient OS, which doesn't need high-spec devices in order to run well.

I reckon BB have done a pretty good job overall.
    lift likes this.
    07-06-15 12:51 AM
    .... Till then, BlackBerry's focus is on the regulated market & it's software strategy. The end-to-end solution is developed for the regulated market and organisations outside of this focus who has the capital to invest in such.
    Maybe more time is needed, but from the sales reports so far it doesn't seem that the enterprise or end-to-end solution has gained much traction either!
    07-06-15 04:25 AM
    Mate, do you have any facts that would suggest that regulated customers are buying BlackBerry phones in numbers that might make the phone division profitable? How many phones were sold in support of the end to end solution or is this notion just a corporate spin?

Posted via CB10
    Sales channel and team needs time to get on track and get going.... :-)

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    07-06-15 04:28 AM
    Given how much BlackBerry is still in the news (even as a whipping boy), it's hard to believe that most people don't think they're still around.

I think the bigger problem is whether people think they'll still be in business or making phones.
    07-06-15 05:41 AM
    Correct. Same impression here.
    There must be optimizations in the Leap (and its software?), the fact that both have pretty much the same specs doesn't fully explain it. Ahhh, the Z10's screen is a bit wider (more horizontal pixels 768 vs 720, iirc), so more pixels to push...

:-D

•   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   •
    It's not software optimization. The Leap has less pixels than the Z10 while also having a much larger battery. Makes sense that the battery would last longer.
    lift and clwydog like this.
    07-06-15 06:01 AM
91 1234