Our server here at work was wiped clean! The IT guy came and did a scan and said it came from my computer. He asked if I had anything plugged into the computer.... I told him I had my BB Storm plugged in but it's only plugged into charge while I stream Pandora.

I recieved a replacement Storm from VZW yesterday and I backed up my old Storm and then loaded all the old info on my new Storm, then I opened up DM and manually cleared everything off my old storm.

So basically what I want to know is can I get a virus from the net and then spread it to my PC and this case wipe the server clean?
    08-26-09 03:01 PM
    There is no possible way that your BlackBerry could be responsible for damage to your corporate server.

It is possible your computer could be infected, but it did not come from your Storm.

There are no documented cases of virus or malware that can infect a BlackBerry.

08-26-09 04:35 PM
    Ah, don't be so hasty there. There is one possibility I think, it's an auto run virus that could be on the media card. They infect media cards and when they are plugged in, automatically execute.

The only thing I am uncertain of is the actual auto run mechanism itself, will it act this way in mass storage mode? I am not 100% certain a BlackBerry will allow this.

So my hypothesis could be wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 04:42 PM
    Ah, don't be so hasty there. There is one possibility I think, it's an [b]auto run virus that could be on the media card. They infect media cards and when they are plugged in, automatically execute.]/b]

The only thing I am uncertain of is the actual auto run mechanism itself, will it act this way in mass storage mode? I am not 100% certain a BlackBerry will allow this.

So my hypothesis could be wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks Radius, I stand corrected.

Who knows what evil might be lurking in a removable drive that is never Anti-virus scanned?

However, unless the OP has Administrator privileges on the server, it is very unlikely the attack would succeed.

McAfee - Auto-Run Malware Infection on Rise - SPAMfighter

McAfee - Auto-Run Malware Infection on Rise

McAfee has recently launched its Q2 Threats Report which says that flash memory and USB-based malware (also popular as Auto-Run malware) remained one of the leading malware families on the Internet.

The report further reveals that in a span of 30 days in the second quarter of 2009, Auto-Run malware corrupted over 27 Million files. The detection rate crossed the most famous worm 'Conficker' by 400% that made the Auto-Run malware widely popular across the world.
    08-26-09 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD