I actually think this is what's in store for us in the future via BlackBerry Link...
    Oh my god. The single most detested piece of software in BlackBerrydom is the future?
    Guess all the threads about crashing PCs, not detecting BBs, not doing backups and missing features - rush rush to add them back - are all a fantasy?

If BlackBerry Link is the future I truly fear for the survival of BlackBerry.
    07-04-13 01:43 PM
    If BlackBerry Link is the future I truly fear for the survival of BlackBerry.
    +100.

This is my cat's phone. She lets me use it.
    07-04-13 05:10 PM
    I actually think this is what's in store for us in the future via BlackBerry Link... We're already there in terms of file access, I expect this is how they will acheive "mobile computing". Think how much money a company could save by having a high powered server on the back end, and each employee using their phone, keyboard and external monitor as a gateway to those applications...

We need to think outside the box!
    OK, so in your vision, the server provides the computing power and runs windows, you have a keyboard and external monitor....and the phone does......? The phone wouldn't even make it to dummy terminal status then....
    07-04-13 05:41 PM
    Yep..keep blaming poor products on marketing. Consumers know about BB products, that's why they stay away, they do not want buggy devices that maybe will be fixed at a later time.
    That is exactly the reason I left BlackBerry. My 9900 caused me to hate the company.

In the case of the Z10, I love the OS so I'm happy to wait.

I'm on .2354 and I love this phone.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    07-05-13 06:23 AM
    Step one release a phone that becomes a persons personal computer via docking station and maybe have some extra ram or whatever in the station.
    I believe that IS what Thorsten was talking about when he announced the death of the tablet.
    Ubuntu phone has already announced they are doing this

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 08:55 AM
    I believe that IS what Thorsten was talking about when he announced the death of the tablet.
    Ubuntu phone has already announced they are doing this

Posted via CB10
    I think this is where they need a partner for the non-phone hardware, BB's resources are stretched thin there.
    07-05-13 09:05 AM
    Except.....BlackBerries are tools, not toys......or so I've heard proselytised here.....
    Ouch.. had to get that jab in there eh? Muaahahahahaha
    07-06-13 12:43 AM
    Step one release a phone that becomes a persons personal computer via docking station and maybe have some extra ram or whatever in the station.
    Yeah, right. And how much does this docking station cost? $500? I mean, it needs a screen, right? You could spend that much and have a PC or tablet that could be used without having to tie up your smartphone. Devices that are attached to each other have never become mainstream successes.

And, this "personal computer" runs what? BB10? The platform that has practically the most restricted app catalog in existence? Even PCs running Android or Chrome are novelties at this point.
    07-06-13 12:55 AM
    Its all about:
    Apppppppppssssssssssssss.
    50% Apps 50% Marketing.

Posted via CB10 from my B@d@ss Z10
    07-06-13 02:10 AM
    Ouch.. had to get that jab in there eh? Muaahahahahaha
    Hehehehe....too good to pass up.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-06-13 02:21 AM
    LOL.....from this point on, "nothing" is going to be easier for BlackBerry....than "not" ever becoming #1 unless something changes. Right now, the focus should be on how to spend some of that money(I won't say it....again) that we keep hearing about to get back in the game.
    07-06-13 02:52 AM
    We don't need all in one devices. And using a PlayBook as a PC is not viable. I need Photoshop, MS Office and the lot.... Tablets are gimmicks and nothing more. Anyone who says that a tablet can replace a laptop or PC (excluding EFBs in airplanes) should have a reality check.

Not meant as insult and meant for everybody.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. There was a time I was listening to a radio show, a caller stated that she gave up her computer to a friend now that she had an "iPad". In no way am I bashing apple products like I usually do..but a tablet does not replace a PC or Mac. Word Processing is a chore along with email and any other type of messaging. Printing from the tablet for now will always be a headache. The only thing I find that atablet is truly good for, is browsing the Web at night when you don't feel like lugging around a laptop, and maybe a long train/plane ride.

Only ONE tablet I have can actually be used as a computer. That's the Microsoft surface. It runs Windows RT/8 depending on the model you buy. You can print like any other computer, it has a usb port for an external harddrive, printer, mouse or any personal devices you'd like to plug in including a USB extender thing. It can run the big boy apps like itunes, word etc... it is windows 8. It runs all desktop apps. Now, don't get confused. The RT version CANNOT run desktop apps.

I replied to this thread in the bathroom. I know my post doesn't make much sense but you catch my drift.

P.S. We definitely do not need all-in-one devices. When an issue arises with the device, you have three or more problems, not just one. I believe our core devices should be separate. Giving the exception though that our smartphones should be able to print through wifi and provide us with some more features that a PC can handle simply for the productivity aspect of uhm...productivity. I use my device for just about everything. Just not printing :/

Posted via Q10RR
    07-06-13 06:56 AM

I replied to this thread in the bathroom. I know my post doesn't make much sense but you catch my drift.
    Luckily the wind was blowing the other way.
    theRock1975 and Blacklatino like this.
    07-06-13 07:54 AM

I use my playbook as a pc its not bad. But if you could do it all on a phone then theres no need for tablets.

#2 Along with idea #1 turn the phone into a gaming system as well. I know both ideas have been talked about but again another docking station and controllers and cheap games could be huge.

Team up with nintendo and call the system aspect Nintendo Black.

I know its been discussed but with all the negitivity recently I imagine if they ever could produce a phone that works as your phone, computer and game station it would be game over. Spend 2 of your 3 billion to make it happen!!!!!
    Pipe Dream.
    07-06-13 07:58 AM
    I care more about friends here on CrackBerry than I do about what BlackBerry can do to regain what was lost. A lot of old timers have left and I'm forever grateful for the frIends which is directly related to my "CrackBerry" addiction. LOL
    I haven't acknowledged that in a long time. Back on topic: Anything is possible, but, it is going to be even tougher because no other platform wants to be the next one in the same spot as BlackBerry.

from my Z10 on Dev OS 10.2.0.341 (~_*)
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-06-13 10:48 AM
    As if things weren't bad enough already. NIntendo? All in one phone, computer, gaming? Seriously, this is exactly what BlackBerry should stay away from if they don't want to go down like a stack of cards. Make a phone and system that addresses the needs of adults, not kids. That will help.
    As to a video game phone, something like that was tried - didn't work out all that well. And as others have already posted, BlackBerry built its reputation as a communications tool for professionals on the go. IMO, that's what made it successful. One could open and edit documents and correspondence on the go. Can't see BlackBerry turning itself around by producing an all-in-one video game phone.
    Two points that hold on to old thinking. But if that made BB successful, did it keep them that way? Nope. (Well unless losing almost all of the marketshare when you once dominated is considered successful.)

While the OP's idea might not be the perfect one, and integrated entertainment and work functional platform has proven to be what the market responds to. Ignoring changing customer demands isn't going to keep the doors open, and it surely isn't putting anyone back to #1.
    07-06-13 01:10 PM
    Since no one has laid out, specifically, why the OP's idea is utterly impractical, here goes:

* If it were easy to make a phone as powerful as a desktop computer, or even a laptop, everyone would be doing so. This Blackberry Computer/Phone would be simultaneously the worst computer in the world, and the worst phone in the world. It would be under-powered and over-hot, and have terrible battery life.

* You can't put RAM in a dock, and connect to it with USB. RAM needs a fat, super fast bus to the processor. Have you noticed how laptops have a maximum amount of RAM, and how no one sells an "external RAM box" for laptops? And how video cards have their own VRAM, onboard? This computer/phone would have to have computer-level RAM onboard, and every gigabyte of RAM is sipping electricity the whole time (which is why phones tend to have limited RAM, even when RAM is cheap).

* Video. Most phones can barely handle the graphics requirements of their tiny screens. Read reviews of _any_ phone (BB, Apple, Samsung, HTC, whatever). One thing they _always_ look for is "lag", since modern touch OSes push the processing power of the tiny chips to the max. Now expect that tiny chip to power a screen 50x bigger. Disaster.

* Software. What applications would this magical device run? Would we expect all the developers who are already failing to write apps for BB10 to write apps for some desktop version of QNX? Or would this computer/phone run BB10 as a phone, Windows as a computer, and some console OS in console mode (requiring licensing fees for each of those OSes). A BB10/QNX machine would be convenient for folks who run a nuclear power plant at home, on a limited hardware budget, but that is a pretty small market.

* It would suck. These "all-in-one/convertible" machines are invariably janky, kludgy exercises in compromise. The MS Surface, the most audacious and coherent attempt to integrate mobile and traditional computing, can't get up a head of steam in the marketplace, and Apple is careful to keep phones, tablets, and computers as discrete categories. That does not mean that it can't be done, but it does mean that it is very, very, very hard. And I don't think Blackberry is remotely up to the challenge.
    07-06-13 02:02 PM
67 123