I am just curious. We all know in terms of enterprise security we have BES12.

For the consumers, I wonder is it as secure and protect privacy as we all know or is it just enterprise that get all those benefits.

What are the security built in BlackBerry for consumers that we can tell our iPhone and android friends to envy us?

Blackberry Passport
    RigoMonster and dararede like this.
    05-03-15 04:35 AM
    Nope

Via D618
    05-03-15 05:04 AM
    iOS, android, and windows phone already have fips 140-2 certification same as blackberry.
    I don't know why bbry users still think their OS is more secure than others. Blackberry's security ads is no longer unique.

Is BlackBerry's BB10 really 'Best in Class'
    senel likes this.
    05-03-15 06:33 AM
    Remember state agency "forensic" tools like cellubrite can crack and download from apple and android. Cellubrite cannot crack and download a password protected bbos phone.
    The fact that BlackBerry actually puts security on its priority list puts it ahead of android and ios, especially android.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck, Jrox74 and peter0328 like this.
    05-03-15 09:09 AM
    Even the latest iphones can be jailbroken allowing outside code to be written to the phone same with android. Try doing that to a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Anthony_2u likes this.
    05-03-15 09:15 AM
    05-03-15 09:18 AM
    Technically not. Since there are more apps for Android there might be more malware and also many people root their devices but don't know what they're doing. A larger crowd basically means a higher risk. So maybe you could say that BlackBerry kind of stays below the radar as long as you don't use the Android runtime environment extensively. But as for the system itself, it's not more secure for consumers.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 09:31 AM
    Even the latest iphones can be jailbroken allowing outside code to be written to the phone same with android. Try doing that to a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Just because a phone can be jailbroken/rooted doesn't mean it is less secure. On android for example, rooting your phone will delete all personal data on the phone so any attacker can't access anything. But if a normal user roots/jailbreaks their phone security isn't high on their priority list.

Also the second any data communication leaves your phone (be it email/3rd party apps/ whatever) you lose all control over where that data goes (same for all OSs).
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-03-15 10:03 AM
    By definition jail breaking and rooting means it is less secure. Remote malicious code can be executed on your phone without your knowledge the nsa and gchq have been doing this for years.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by keithhackneysmullet; 05-03-15 at 02:36 PM.
    05-03-15 10:24 AM
    Yes, BlackBerry is more secure than Android.

In some countries, there is Android smartphone phishing that installs tracker on your phone so that thieves can steal your telephone banking info.

First, they send a text message with a link disguised to be friendly (survey, gift, etc)

When the victim clicks on that link, an Android malware app gets automatically installed. And the phone is now being tracked.

They can listen to your conversation, as well as your phone screen.

If the malware link is clicked on a BlackBerry 10 device, nothing happens. It just does not go through.

Posted via CB10
    Anthony_2u likes this.
    05-03-15 10:42 AM
    By definition jail breaking and rooting means it is less secure. Remote malicious code can be executed on your phone without your knowledge the nsa and ghcq have been doing this for years.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, rooting/jailbraking reduces security, but if someone does root/jailbreak their phone they shouldn't expect they are as secure as before. Also in order to root a device, you need physical access to it and as I said before, rooting deletes all personal data on the device making it useless for a hacker.

Non-rooted/jail-broken devices can except similar security to BB device. It must be noted that security is different from privacy. Android with Google services is good as far as security is concerned, but privacy not so much.
    05-03-15 10:44 AM
    Yes, rooting/jailbraking reduces security, but if someone does root/jailbreak their phone they shouldn't expect they are as secure as before. Also in order to root a device, you need physical access to it and as I said before, rooting deletes all personal data on the device making it useless for a hacker.

Non-rooted/jail-broken devices can except similar security to BB device. It must be noted that security is different from privacy. Android with Google services is good as far as security is concerned, but privacy not so much.
    A third party can not root a blackberry, but a third party could root your android or iOS device and build malware into it without your knowledge. Sounds less secure to me.

Posted via CB10
    -Puck- and ArcPlug like this.
    05-03-15 10:51 AM
    A third party can not root a blackberry, but a third party could root your android or iOS device and build malware into it without your knowledge. Sounds less secure to me.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, you root it. But that deletes all of the data on the phone, including the google account and can't be reconfigured without the password. So when the phone is back to the owner, it is clear that it was tampered with. I think these are pretty good measures against attackers.
    Witmen likes this.
    05-03-15 11:13 AM
    Yes, BlackBerry is more secure than Android.

In some countries, there is Android smartphone phishing that installs tracker on your phone so that thieves can steal your telephone banking info.

First, they send a text message with a link disguised to be friendly (survey, gift, etc)

When the victim clicks on that link, an Android malware app gets automatically installed. And the phone is now being tracked.

They can listen to your conversation, as well as your phone screen.

If the malware link is clicked on a BlackBerry 10 device, nothing happens. It just does not go through.

Posted via CB10
    Phishing has nothing to do with phone security. Even though it is possible, and likely, that more phishing attempts occur on Android, it is still the user who ultimately gives access to his credentials.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 11:18 AM
    Ok, you root it. But that deletes all of the data on the phone, including the google account and can't be reconfigured without the password. So when the phone is back to the owner, it is clear that it was tampered with. I think these are pretty good measures against attackers.
    No it is not clear it has been tampered with and a consumer will just reenter all their id's and carry on, wiped or not.

"Here's your phone... Sorry it's wiped: I tried to get in to find your contact info and tried once too often with the wrong unlock code, sorry".

At this point the user has the option of tossing the phone in the trash I guess, or using 'unroot' techniques.

Rooting using 'off the shelf' techniques may wipe the device, but since the topic is 'consumer' devices, I guess the ease of rooting iOS and Android compared to the theoretical impossibility of rooting BlackBerry devices is negligible in real-world terms.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 11:19 AM
    ...to the OP, I use a Z30...and you won't find my nudes all over the Internet...so there's your answer...lol

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    Anthony_2u, MehdiQ, Jrox74 and 1 others like this.
    05-03-15 11:50 AM
    No it is not clear it has been tampered with and a consumer will just reenter all their id's and carry on, wiped or not.

"Here's your phone... Sorry it's wiped: I tried to get in to find your contact info and tried once too often with the wrong unlock code, sorry".

At this point the user has the option of tossing the phone in the trash I guess, or using 'unroot' techniques.

Rooting using 'off the shelf' techniques may wipe the device, but since the topic is 'consumer' devices, I guess the ease of rooting iOS and Android compared to the theoretical impossibility of rooting BlackBerry devices is negligible in real-world terms.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. The problem is that the scenario we both presented, isn't very likely to happen. Most people always stick to their phones and the scenarios in which your phone is stolen and returned are very very rare.
    05-03-15 11:50 AM
    I'm genuinely curious. What concrete security features make BB more secure than Android or iOS? Can someone list these out?

It seems that more and more confidential information is being kept on Android and iOS phones. I'm assuming that the CEO or other exec's wouldn't be allowed to use a phone if it were truly a security risk. If the other phones are less secure, why are so many people who rely on security using them?
    05-03-15 11:51 AM
    Outside of being directly managed through BES, BlackBerry phones are no more secure than those of the competition. Phishing attack succeeds through user gullibility and there is no fool proof technology to prevent that from happening without totally cutting the user out of the equation. BES managed handsets with very tight control but very secure are unpleasant to use outside formal usage. Two factor authentication greatly enhances security but it also significantly increases the annoyance of resource access. Security = 1/Usability.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-03-15 12:11 PM
    The ability to gain root access on ios or android relies on unpatched exploits available in the os .You cannot find a exploit in bb10 ( or it hasn't been found yet) which would allow someone root. This by itself makes BlackBerry inherently safer.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 02:56 PM
    Phishing has nothing to do with phone security. Even though it is possible, and likely, that more phishing attempts occur on Android, it is still the user who ultimately gives access to his credentials.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, phishing does have to do with security.

Users of any phone can always mess up since phishing messages are getting better each day. They access your messaging app, and send messages from your friend's account.

It is just that BlackBerry has it covered if the user messes up, which is not the case in Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 03:02 PM
    Actually, phishing does have to do with security.

Users of any phone can always mess up since phishing messages are getting better each day. They access your messaging app, and send messages from your friend's account.

It is just that BlackBerry has it covered if the user messes up, which is not the case in Android.

Posted via CB10
    Can you give me a link to any website you say installs malicious Android apps? I really want to test it. By default it shouldn't work because by default Android phones cannot install apps from unsecured sources.
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    05-03-15 03:23 PM
    No matter what the software is, there is no getting around hardware encryption.

BB10 has a long startup for a reason...it is checking MD5 checksums for changes to the boot code and verifying the integrity of its hardware before it even attempts to load software.

Many Android devices can be booted straight into a diagnostic bootloader just by holding a volume key where you can install all sorts of nasty software or even replace the whole bootloader itself with something like ClockworkMod...allowing you to run software or even install operating systems right from an SD card.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    05-03-15 03:29 PM
    I am just curious. We all know in terms of enterprise security we have BES12.

For the consumers, I wonder is it as secure and protect privacy as we all know or is it just enterprise that get all those benefits.

What are the security built in BlackBerry for consumers that we can tell our iPhone and android friends to envy us?

Blackberry Passport
    Yes.

1. Boot up takes time as it self checks all the OS files so it can't be compromised which leads to..

2. Please show me which phone cannot be rooted? iOS? Yes. Android? Yes. BB10 No.

3. A security wipe is just that. BB10's wipe makes sure all the data is over written with zeros. iOS and Android do not and with the correct tools, you could retrieve data from a second hand iOS and Android.
    -Puck-, Thunderbuck and mnc76 like this.
    05-03-15 03:31 PM
    It's a good question, I think BlackBerry should answer it.

I tweeted to @blackberry, perhaps others could do the same.

Wouldn't hold my breath for an answer though.

Via Passport
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-03-15 04:38 PM
104 123 ...