First of all, I don't know where to put this thread, but I figure it fits best under general BB discussion.

Why is RIM leaving Wifi or 3G off all their new devices? They released the BOLD, the ultimate BB device (nice resolution, 3G, WiFi, etc), 8 months ago and now it seems like they are taking steps backwards? The Tour doesn't have WiFi and the Curve 8900 lacks 3G, what gives?

Also, one thing I don't necessarily understand is the difference between WiFi and 3G. If someone could clear up the difference between all of these for me, that would be great! Which device would you rather have, the Curve 8900 with Wifi, or the Tour with 3G?

I've been due for an upgrade for about a month now and am having a hard time deciding which BB to get/wait for. I'm on Verizon and as of now, I'm deciding between the Tour and Storm 2. If I've heard correctly, RIM left WiFi off of the Tour, which has a speculated release of July. If the Tour doesn't have WiFi and the Storm 2 has both 3G and WiFi, why not wait for the latter of the two?
    06-08-09 05:29 PM
    Wifi is a more local technology, its what your home wireless network is (if you have one). 3G is a cell provider technology, its just the term for the faster data connection available over cell towers. I hope that helps.
    06-08-09 05:55 PM
    I think they just want the phone to appeal to different people or something, since some people may live in WiFi hotspots but have no 3G coverage and so a phone with both would only be half used.

But I think I am right in saying WiFi uses the interent like through the same source your wireless broadband would at home and 3G is through the carriers/RIM network so a data plan will be needed to use it.

And the choice is really up to you!
    06-08-09 06:01 PM
    It's about affordable pricing. They can't just roll out the same kind of phone with everything available. Otherwise it would all be the same, expensive price.

The iPhone has only one device available and appeals to people because they are available at such a low price which drives Apple stockholders nuts.

Remember the iPhone costs a lot of money to make just like a Blackberry. And the iPhone was first priced at $499 and $599 I believe. Same could be done with Blackberry if the same devices were rolled out and RIM didn't want to be genorous about pricing.
    06-08-09 06:04 PM
    First of all, I don't know where to put this thread, but I figure it fits best under general BB discussion.

Why is RIM leaving Wifi or 3G off all their new devices? They released the BOLD, the ultimate BB device (nice resolution, 3G, WiFi, etc), 8 months ago and now it seems like they are taking steps backwards? The Tour doesn't have WiFi and the Curve 8900 lacks 3G, what gives?

Also, one thing I don't necessarily understand is the difference between WiFi and 3G. If someone could clear up the difference between all of these for me, that would be great! Which device would you rather have, the Curve 8900 with Wifi, or the Tour with 3G?

I've been due for an upgrade for about a month now and am having a hard time deciding which BB to get/wait for. I'm on Verizon and as of now, I'm deciding between the Tour and Storm 2. If I've heard correctly, RIM left WiFi off of the Tour, which has a speculated release of July. If the Tour doesn't have WiFi and the Storm 2 has both 3G and WiFi, why not wait for the latter of the two?

the bold is on a GSM network

the tour is on a cdma network

the chip inside the CDMA phone is different then that of the chip inside the GSM variety..

it has been stated or speculated however you wish to say it

that there has been problems with the wi-fi chip working with the chip thats inside the cdma network devices..

in other words it would be there but they had issues and there will be future blackberrys on cdma networks that have wi-fi but not yet

Hope this helps
    06-08-09 07:00 PM
    Thank you, everyone
    06-08-09 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD