I've been watching the inventory on the BlackBerry Classic since it's availability today on ShopBlackBerry. Since I started checking there were 2998 "pre-order" units available... now 7 hours later they have 2204. Seems extremely low seeing as the Passport sold 200K units in 2 days. Even taking away the Amazon Passport sales they sold well over 100K.

Selling a little over 700 units in 7 hours seems a bit like a concern. Especially with the strong forward and upward momentum BlackBerry has had lately.

I personally think it's still priced a bit high seeing as its a slightly tweaked Q10.

Thoughts?

BlackBerry Classic priced to high? Old specs? Not enough interest?-img_20141113_191113.png

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry Passport.
    11-13-14 08:29 PM
    Different audience

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    11-13-14 08:34 PM
    I'd preorder if I knew what the full specs were. I like to know exactly what I'm spending my money on and whether it's good value for the price, especially when a q10 can be had for half the price.

Posted via CB10
    garrett lajoie likes this.
    11-13-14 08:38 PM
    I've been watching the inventory on the BlackBerry Classic since it's availability today on ShopBlackBerry. Since I started checking there were 2998 "pre-order" units available... now 7 hours later they have 2204. Seems extremely low seeing as the Passport sold 200K units in 2 days. Even taking away the Amazon Passport sales they sold well over 100K.

Selling a little over 700 units in 7 hours seems a bit like a concern. Especially with the strong forward and upward momentum BlackBerry has had lately.

I personally think it's still priced a bit high seeing as its a slightly tweaked Q10.

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141113_191113.png 
Views:	6495 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	314222

Here we go again, the usual doom and gloom predictions. I think John Chen is a tad bit more knowledgeable in running a company then you might think. The moves he has made to date has been nothing short of brilliant and will re-vitalize Blackberry as a company so I don't think you should be to worried about it. We always seem to see the same predictions "priced to high" "old specs" yada yada
    11-13-14 08:41 PM
    Here we go again, the usual doom and gloom predictions. I think John Chen is a tad bit more knowledgeable in running a company then you might think. The moves he has made to date has been nothing short of brilliant and will re-vitalize Blackberry as a company so I don't think you should be to worried about it. We always seem to see the same predictions "priced to high" "old specs" yada yada
    You're funny. There was nothing doom and gloom about my post but if that's what you interpreted, whatever.

I was merely pointing out the stark contrast in sales and was asking your thoughts on why.

Calm down.

11-13-14 08:58 PM
    I believe the market for the classic is a tiny one, no one will switch from android or iPhone to the classic. Only people who absolutely can't move on from the track belt will.
    Passport on the other hand is a flagship. And has gotten the attention of many different userz

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 09:09 PM
    Thanks, OP, for doing the legwork and tracking the sales rate for the Classic. I agree that the rate looks very low. I think the bright side may be that the Classic is set up to be a fleet phone that some companies may buy in bulk.

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1418 / T-Mobile USA
    11-13-14 09:55 PM
    I'd preorder if I knew what the full specs were. I like to know exactly what I'm spending my money on and whether it's good value for the price, especially when a q10 can be had for half the price.

Posted via CB10
    Specs mean nothing. It will run Blackberry 10 smoothly I can assure you. The Classic is for people that are still stuck on their Bolds and did not want to make the move to BlackBerry 10 because no phones had a belt. If you want specs go for the Passport, but I can assure you that you will probably see no difference between using a passport or a classic in the OS.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 10:45 PM

Thoughts?

Name:	IMG_20141113_191113.png 
Views:	6495 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	314222

Very cunning Master of Sneakiness

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 10:56 PM
    I think many are waiting to make sure which carriers carry the phone along with having the specific specs posted. As stated earlier I believe that BlackBerry is targeting corporate users who will be purchasing this phone for their employees. I think that the bulk of the phones will be sold direct to corporate America (in the U.S.).
    11-13-14 11:02 PM
    BlackBerry Classic priced to high? Old specs? Not enough interest?-q2.pngBlackBerry Classic priced to high? Old specs? Not enough interest?-untitled.jpg

The targeted enterprise fleet renewal will not take place overnight... that too on preorder
    And the 'tool not toy' guys will take their own sweet time to migrate to their new tools, IMO
    11-13-14 11:30 PM
    Am Enterprise Fleet admin. Confirming try before fleet purchase.

I wish I could afford the Z10 upgrade
    11-14-14 12:05 AM
    The Classic is for people that are still stuck on their Bolds and did not want to make the move to BlackBerry 10 because no phones had a belt.
    How many such people do you think are left in the world? I wonder if it can be all that many.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 12:07 AM

Name:	Q2.png 
Views:	2184 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	314248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	2175 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	314249

The targeted enterprise fleet renewal will not take place overnight... that too on preorder
    And the 'tool not toy' guys will take their own sweet time to migrate to their new tools, IMO
    Exactly. It's an enterprise fleet renewal device and I don't see corporations IT departments preordering on a consumer webshop on launch day.

Posted via CB10
    alternator77 likes this.
    11-14-14 12:47 AM
    People maybe waiting for the price to be a little down or maybe waiting to make sure that these batches are perfectly made or maybe because not everybody is aware of classic pre order
    I fall into 1st two category
    And also no specific spec can also be a reason...
    Also no price or ordering in main targeted countries Like India, Indonesia

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 12:55 AM
    How many such people do you think are left in the world? I wonder if it can be all that many.

Posted via CB10
    There are millions. Mainly in corporate fleets. Actually an upgraded Z30 or 10 would have as much or more interest than the classic. I think the Classic will be a nice phone for business users though.

I don't see a mass exit from BBOS either. They have minimal needs other than texting and emails.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 02:50 AM
    You're funny. There was nothing doom and gloom about my post but if that's what you interpreted, whatever.

I was merely pointing out the stark contrast in sales and was asking your thoughts on why.

Calm down.

It seems to me that this is a fleet phone that will be purchased in bulk. In that regard, order size will scale inversely with price. So for you, that Q20 maybe 499 but it's more like 299 for a Fortune 500 company.

At the consumer level, there is a group of hard core QWERTY lovers (hello Bold) and this phone will also appeal to them. Efficient, rugged and strong battery. Sometimes that is all people want. I don't expect this phone to be a barn burner like the passport. Now that is flag ship device.

I think yesterday was an incredible important day for BlackBerry. They are back with a vengeance and Chen is going for the jugular. There was a stunning display of software advancement that caught the competition off guard. Chen has simply established himself as one of the top CEOS in the business and is worth the 80 million.

Although I really like where BlackBerry is going, I do want clarity on their all touch hardware offerings. I'll give them a month to chew on the BES12 launch.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 04:59 AM
    Different audience

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    To be fair, many on Crackberry and Blackberry's official stance is that the Passport isn't intended to appeal to consumers as well.

If a large portion of the "business oriented" Passport's userbase are consumers I don't see the point in denying that a large portion of the "business oriented" Classic's userbase will be consumers as well.
    11-14-14 05:44 AM
    To be fair, many on Crackberry and Blackberry's official stance is that the Passport isn't intended to appeal to consumers as well.

If a large portion of the "business oriented" Passport's userbase are consumers I don't see the point in denying that a large portion of the "business oriented" Classic's userbase will be consumers as well.
    Uhm....why? After all the Passport and Classic are very different to each other. Just because both share a physical keyboard doesn't mean they cater to the exact same audience. The Passport has a massive screen, a massive battery and is high end from top to bottom. That will always attract some consumers as well. But the Classic with its mid grade specs and a small screen as well as a toolbelt that feels antiquated to many consumers doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 06:05 AM
    Me, and I know at least 7 BB Bold hardcore fans just changing batteries from time to time.
    11-14-14 06:14 AM
    Z10 was priced too high.

Classic will still make them a profit, just not as much

Priced just right.

Posted via CB from my Z10
    11-14-14 06:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    A lot. Since quarterly handset sales of bb10 devices just overtook bb07 this past quarter it's safe to say almost half of the buyers are still using a trackpad. Now add in q10, q5, and passport and that's a lot more than 50% using/wanting keyboard phones!

Posted via CB10
    Griffin2012 likes this.
    11-14-14 06:30 AM
    Z10 was priced too high.

Classic will still make them a profit, just not as much

Priced just right.

Posted via CB from my Z10
    Without knowing the official specs, I don't believe we can say whether it was priced right yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 06:47 AM
    I believe that the Classic is the usual device that companies who will go for a BES 12 or will convert to a BES 12 and will also look for some devices from BlackBerry will buy...It is not revolutionary as the Passport: it is meant, imho, to be the 'workers' phone.
    11-14-14 06:49 AM
    I don't know why people say BlackBerry 10 doesn't need high specs! Then why price it so high which brings it to a class with highly spec'd phones? The older the specs, the cheaper it is for the phone manufacturer. So it should be like that for us!
    This phone I think is decently priced, but I think $400 would have been perfect! Since Z10 and Q10 can be had for half the price of a Classic, which almost has the same specs!
    Few phones I believe which are perfectly priced are, Nexus 5, BlackBerry Q10, Z30, Moto E,G,X.
    I don't recommend xiaomi.
    I didn't mention Z10 because I believe it should be priced a bit "higher" now! Common it's worth more than for what it's selling right now!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jevinzac; 11-14-14 at 11:45 AM.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-14-14 06:55 AM
84 123 ...