Yesterday I was at a friend's place with my best phone ever (the Q10), and while I was bragging about my Blackberry OS with my tech Geek windows Phone Nokia loyal friend, I can easily say I won on the OS UI and apps (android apps+) front and the hub. The camera was a... flop. We were both in a low light condition and took exactly the same image of the same target under the same light from the same position. His 8MP cam was amazing to say the least. Even on HDR and night mode on my BlackBerry I wasn't able to see anything or little in the picture while on his Nokia camera he was able to see every single detail with even zooming preserving a respectable degree of sharpness. My point here, I know blackberry was never about the camera but it doesn't have to be that far from the competition either, I always knew by buying blackberry that I should consider my camera to be a bit of a compromise but never thought it would be to that extent...

Powered by Blackberry
    04-11-14 08:05 AM
    I know the camera on my Z10 is a huge improvement over my old 9650.... as is most everything.

But compared to other smartphones... it is a disappointment! Especially considering how important the camera is to people today (Instagram). Put it on a tripod outdoors with a stationary subject and it takes fantastic shots. Holding it in your hand, indoor with a person... not so much.

A friend of mine that is into photogrhap told me about two camera review sites

Introduction: BlackBerry's back: Z10 camera review: Connect

BlackBerry Z10 overview - DxOMark

Think the Q10 and Z10 cameras are the same....
    04-11-14 08:23 AM
    BB needs to step up their camera game, but they probably won't. They are not catering to a marktet now that generally cares about camera quality. Needless to say the camera on all BB10 phones is not good compared to other platforms. BB has never been able to put a decent camera in their phones.
    04-11-14 08:51 AM
    Yeah, Blackberry smartphone cameras are definitely inferior to the competition, based on my personal use. To be fair, the Nokia smartphone cameras are among the best in class; the camera on my Nokia Lumia 928 is much better in most ways than the camera on my Apple iPhone 5 (and the iPhone 5's camera is itself very good). But Blackberry cameras (including the one on my Z10) don't measure up to Apple or most of the various Android manufacturers' cameras IMO. I think that's long been a (relatively minor) weak spot for Blackberry.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    04-11-14 09:06 AM
    The crappy camera is the one big thing that makes me think about jumping ship.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 09:12 AM
    BB needs to step up their camera game, but they probably won't. They are not catering to a marktet now that generally cares about camera quality. Needless to say the camera on all BB10 phones is not good compared to other platforms. BB has never been able to put a decent camera in their phones.
    you're exaggerating, because camera module is comparable to the one you find in iPhone 5. The image post-processing of camera is definitely sucks
    04-11-14 09:21 AM
    you're exaggerating, because camera module is comparable to the one you find in iPhone 5. The image post-processing of camera is definitely sucks
    Whatever it is, it doesn't take away from the fact that the camera sucks.
    04-11-14 09:26 AM
    You're comparing 3 ply toilet paper with a piece of cardboard.

Just don't.
    04-11-14 09:29 AM
    well, if it would be a hardware problem/limit nothing could be done with existing BB10 smartphones. Since it's mostly software problems we may still have a chance (even if it's a quite faint one )
    04-11-14 09:30 AM
    My problem exactly. End users don't care if it's hardware or software..if it's **** it's ****

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    04-11-14 09:32 AM