why do blackberry not make a phone with a better quality camera, i have the bold which is 2 megapixels, which is pants for a phone nowadays.

i am aware there are other blackberrys with a 3.2 and when i get my next blackberry i will be gettin the onyx or tour. but cummon! there are phones with like 8 megapixels????

so does any1 know is there goin to be a blackberry like this soon? cuz i can hold on a bit longer for one, or at least a piece of mind to know one is in the making!!!
    10-02-09 01:48 PM
    why do blackberry not make a phone with a better quality camera, i have the bold which is 2 megapixels, which is pants for a phone nowadays.

i am aware there are other blackberrys with a 3.2 and when i get my next blackberry i will be gettin the onyx or tour. but cummon! there are phones with like 8 megapixels????

so does any1 know is there goin to be a blackberry like this soon? cuz i can hold on a bit longer for one, or at least a piece of mind to know one is in the making!!!
    Probably because BlackBerrys are made for productivity first. If you need an 8MP camera I suggest getting the device that has it, or a half way decent digital camera.

RIM is big on productivity and BES, not who has the best looking picture posted on flikr from a mobile device.
    10-02-09 01:57 PM
    who buys a phone to use the camera? how lame, the low res cam is for conveneint, sponataneous impromptu pics...for a decent pic try buy an actual camera
    10-02-09 02:22 PM
    You can get a 10mp digital camera for a lot less money than a new BB
    10-02-09 02:22 PM
    who buys a phone to use the camera? how lame, the low res cam is for conveneint, sponataneous impromptu pics...for a decent pic try buy an actual camera
    The Camara is one of the reason in my decsion to buy a phone, some of us who have kids don't always carry a camara around and my son is always doing stuff that i love to take a picture off!
    10-02-09 02:55 PM
    Although my preference is a real (read: film) camera, you cannot
    argue that the 8900 is lacking. This was from 8 inches away at most.

10-02-09 03:34 PM
    If people didn't want cameras in their phones, then they wouldn't be on every new phone that has come out in the past however many years. Saying the blackberry doesn't need a nice camera is so stupid. No one wants to lug around a phone + camera if they can have them both combined. You give RIM too much slack for being lazy. Blackberrys are being made for the masses now, they need to keep up.
    10-02-09 04:06 PM
    The camera on the 8900 is real solid IMO! I don't necessarily need a camera that's better than this one. I will say though since it is a nice camera I use the camera a lot more on my 8900 than I did on any other phone. The bold was out with a solid 2mp camera at a time when apple was putting out iphones with 2mp cameras also. Oh wait....every iphone has a 2mp camera!!!! I don't understand why people don't understand that! The 8900 has a better camera than one of the most popular phones on the market. The reason that better cameras aren't put into blackberries is because the typical user isn't going to use it. Everyone isn't trying to take family reunion photos on their berries! Honestly if you want a solid camera you need to buy a camera! We ask our phones to do all these things and then wonder why the batter dies so fast!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 04:38 PM
    I agree. The camera on the 8900 is really good.

10-02-09 04:50 PM
    The camera on my Storm is amazing. Well to me at least.

10-02-09 05:39 PM

10-02-09 06:49 PM
    Camera quality involves more than just MP's. More MP does not automatically mean better quality. Part of the problem with phones is lack of space. This means smaller lenses and poorer focusing. Another is the image sensor type used on cell phones.

You could have a BB w/ 10 MP and still not have a top quality camera. Use your phone when the camera is not handy, it works in a pinch but is no substitute for a real camera. All in all, the newer BB cameras are pretty good for what they are.
    10-02-09 07:02 PM
    The Bold 9000's photos are average but definitely better with OS5.0 update. Since the 3.2mp camera with autofocus and flash were implemented photos taken with them are very good.

10-02-09 07:17 PM
    Ps A camera is only as good as it's operator.

10-02-09 07:18 PM
    The Tour's 3.2 camera is good in my opinion as well. Way better than my old Bold's. It gets the job done for me whenever I need to take a quick picture.

10-02-09 09:47 PM
    If you can figure out how to mount 5 lbs of zoom lense onto a blackberry, I'll care it has a camera.

10-02-09 10:00 PM
    Well, the 8MP phones are CAMERA phones, that have a camera but not much else. I don't know of any smartphones that have a high resolution camera, personally.
    Partially, it's a cost thing, and partially it's a size thing. 8MP sensors are tend to be bigger, and space is at a premium inside smartphones.

Nope. Sorry.
    Maybe we'll see RIM work up to 5MP, or maybe not, but I'd seriously doubt we'll see anything bigger than that in the foreseeable future.

Actually I don't carry a camera ever, except my Cannon Rebel, which is a bit big for most casual uses. So having a good quality camera is a big plus to me.
    That said, I don't want my Curve to be my camera, it's just not practical.

The Camara is one of the reason in my decsion to buy a phone, some of us who have kids don't always carry a camara around and my son is always doing stuff that i love to take a picture off!
    +1

If people didn't want cameras in their phones, then they wouldn't be on every new phone that has come out in the past however many years.
    True...

Saying the blackberry doesn't need a nice camera is so stupid. No one wants to lug around a phone + camera if they can have them both combined.
    True, which is why all the newer higher end Berries have a very nice 3.2MP camera.

You give RIM too much slack for being lazy.
    So I guess you're an electronics engineer who specializes in mobile devices?
    No...?
    Then you surely must be an industrial engineer?
    Still No...?
    Oh, then you must be someone who enjoys talking out of their ***!

C'mon, you obviously don't know anything about why RIM hasn't put a higher resolution camera in their phones, so why don't you NOT act like you do.
    There are a whole HOST of reasons why RIM has chosen not to put a 8MP camera in any BlackBerries, and I can assure you that LAZINESS is not one of them.

Name one company that puts more work into their phone designs?
    10-03-09 01:11 AM
    Camera quality involves more than just MP's. More MP does not automatically mean better quality. Part of the problem with phones is lack of space. This means smaller lenses and poorer focusing. Another is the image sensor type used on cell phones.

You could have a BB w/ 10 MP and still not have a top quality camera. Use your phone when the camera is not handy, it works in a pinch but is no substitute for a real camera. All in all, the newer BB cameras are pretty good for what they are.
    Everyone needs to read and memorize this information. Megapixels mean nothing. Lens and sensor have much more to do with quality than megapixels. 3.2 megapixels is over 2000x1500. That's a much more than satisfactory picture resolution for almost any use, much higher than needed for a nice 4x6. The problem comes from having smaller sensors that aren't as high quality and less quality lenses. Without a great sensor to capture the light the picture will always turn out somewhat grainy unlike a real digital camera picture with can be sharp and clear even when blown up.
    10-03-09 01:33 AM
    More megapixel on a phone camera doesn't mean it's going to turn out better quality. I can take better pictures on my Curve 2Mp phone then the Samsung Ominia or Nokia N95.

When it comes to picture quality, you need the best lens and good lighting or flash. That's why there is Digital SLR.
    10-03-09 04:47 AM
    (Codito, above, pretty much nailed it...but I'll elaborate)

First of all, megapixels ain't all that. What needs to be considered is the size of the sensor inside the phone onto which those megapixels are crammed. Sensors in cell phones are tiny, sensors in point & shoot digital cameras are larger, and sensors in digital SLR cameras are larger still. 8 megapixels will look excellent on the SLR, a little worse on the P&S, and quite crappy on the phone. Why? Because the more pixels that are crammed into a small space, the less sensitive they are to light and the more noise is produced when an image is created because the sensor is "amping up" to capture detail.

Second of all, cell phones should NEVER be relied upon as one's sole imaging device because they just can't compete with imaging devices with larger sensors. Point and shoot cameras are so cheap and so small now that there really is no excuse NOT to have one IF you really give a crap about how your pictures look.

Cell cameras are great for in-the-moment stuff when for whatever reason you don't have a better camera handy. Resign yourself to that wisdom and you will not be disappointed again with images created with your cell phone.

JM2C and YMMV

("megapixel myth"...originally Ken Rockwell's wisdom with which I completely agree...check out his website sometime)
    Last edited by colbypaperboy; 10-03-09 at 11:18 AM. Reason: acknowledged content in prior post
    10-03-09 11:12 AM
    Precisely why I'm saying that the cam on a phone is for convenience only; not necessarily because you want to take quality pics...I use my cam as well but I recognize it's limitations and do not expect to be taking picture-frame photos with it...if ppl want a "phone-camera" then try something made by Sony Ericcson...I on the other hand cherish my BB "camera-phone" and use my real camera for taking real pics!
    10-03-09 01:57 PM
    Plus the quality of the 3.2 megapixel autofocusing camera on the new BBs is pretty damn good. Uploaded photos to Facebook look great.
    10-03-09 10:43 PM
    Take a look at the pictures from my tour thread in their subforum...I think that the Tour's camera is everything you could want in a cell phone (or could expect)
    10-03-09 11:45 PM
    More megapixel on a phone camera doesn't mean it's going to turn out better quality. I can take better pictures on my Curve 2Mp phone then the Samsung Ominia or Nokia N95.

When it comes to picture quality, you need the best lens and good lighting or flash. That's why there is Digital SLR.
    There is no way the curve is taking better pics than the n95 -- fact.

You do have a point though, it's not about the MP, it's about the lens. My iPhone 3GS camera (3.0) takes better pics than all my BlackBerry devices. This includes all 3.2MP devices.
    10-04-09 01:14 AM
    I dnt know what the Bold has, But the tour and storm are very nice cams for a phone. It balance.

Ya some peolpe do want a good cam and its not lame. Some peolpe want a Media player
    Some people want a browser, or and organizer, doc reader or just email and phone.

Can't please everyone and can't be the best at everything. But BB is the best at all as far as a good balance

10-04-09 03:15 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD