I probably would have gotten an Iphone is Verizon offered it, but...

I just purchased an 8330 curve online a few days ago and waiting on delivery. Having second thought's about the purchase and wondering if I should have instead gotten a good quality standard flip phone like the LG 8360 and a separate Itouch for a PDA.

Blackberry
    - I don't do a lot of texting.
    - It will not be sync'd with work email (personal phone)
    - Data plan is $30 p/m
    - Apps seem expensive $10-30.

Itouch
    - Many nice apps and inexpensive .99 - $10
    - Better quality video and display, larger.
    - Free use of WiFi hotspots, no data plan required

I've never had a blackberry but I did test drive it in the store and liked the trackball action, keypad and ease of navigation. I did not care of the new model with touch screen. What am I missing here? Wouldn't an Itouch and basic phone be better than a Blackberry? The Itouch has some awesome applications. Flame away... lol.
    02-13-09 10:41 PM
    It's all up to you. The one thing that Berry is the best for is email. So if you're going to be getting a lot personal email and you want the best experience, I'd go with a Berry.
    02-13-09 11:03 PM
    Chips is right, it's all on you. I will say this, I don't think you will be disappointed with the Curve. It's an amazing phone.
    02-13-09 11:13 PM
    The Curve is a great device. Give it a chance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 11:19 PM
    Why would you have to pay for apps. Every single app and theme I have on my phone I got for free. Including a fart app. Lol

02-13-09 11:20 PM
    I would have to agree, this is my first bb (curve 8330) and I couldn't be happier. And if you do a search on this site, you can find links to a bunch of free, very useful apps for your curve. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!!

02-13-09 11:23 PM
    the ipod isnt a PDA thats the problem. Its a mutimedia device but wont hold water to Blackberry or even Win Mobile in terms of PDA function. The apps are nice but in the end of the day its eye candy and less then functional to absolutely need vs a show-off toy.

Also the ipod+flip phone wont replace a good PDA phone. Only having wifi limits you to certain areas to use the ipod. you wont have a constant internet/email experience that way so why would you waste $3-400 for some eye candy that smartphones can do the same stuff just less pretty? For that much, split it monthly and you can afford the Blackberry data if youre going to get a voice plan either way you go.
    02-14-09 01:52 AM
    another post to post links.
    02-14-09 01:52 AM
    to get to post links.
    02-14-09 01:53 AM
    need to post one last one.
    02-14-09 01:53 AM
    I agree with the others give it a chance first before you make a decison I have the curve 8330 and I couldn't be happier with my choice.......

02-14-09 04:32 AM
    I'm going to play the devil's advocate and recommend the LG Dare.

Pros:
    No data/email plan required
    Larger screen than a Curve/good for multimedia
    HTML browser
    Great battery life

Cons:
    R/F performance is good, but Curve is superior
    Touch screen, but you said you don't text much
    Need Vcast package to get unlimited web/data
    Harder to navigate and select links in HTML web page, trackball on Curve more accurate

Try playing with the LG Dare in a Verizon store, it's a good phone. If you like it you can trade the Curve in for the Dare, but you'll need to pay a $35 restocking fee for the Curve.
    02-14-09 04:59 AM
    It's going to be a preference thing for YOU. Other's can give you advice but this is YOU using YOUR phone. Try them out to see what fits you best.

BTW, I like how instead of pros and cons, you listed your cons of BBs and pros of iPhones. LOL.
    02-14-09 05:36 AM
    It's going to be a preference thing for YOU. Other's can give you advice but this is YOU using YOUR phone. Try them out to see what fits you best.

BTW, I like how instead of pros and cons, you listed your cons of BBs and pros of iPhones. LOL.
    You're right.... I only listed the 2nd thoughts I was having about the Blackberry. What I do like are the great technical and user reviews - that means a lot to me and was a big factor in ordering the 8330. Also like the high marks in phone quality and the speakerphone. Like I indicated I was very impressed with the test drive. For some reason I am turned off by Winmo, even though it seems like a nice product these days but and willing to try out a new user interface that the Blackberry offers.

Lots of great feedback here... I really do appreciate it- keep it coming. It always seems to come to Needs vs Wants vs Whats available I guess. I've carried around a Dell Axim PDA for several years now and for me replace that and my cell phone with the Blackberry seems like a logical choice. Technology has come a long ways in the past 5-years and it's time to upgrade.

I had another thought this morning... I could get both the 8330 and Itouch (for play) - problem solved! I'm still wrangling with paying the extra $30 a month for the Blackberry service.
    02-14-09 08:02 AM
    here is my opinion:

The rim app store is coming out in march (or close to then.) get a blackberry and wait it out for a month and when the app store comes you will be satisfied. Plus im sure there will be tons of free apps! I've never heard of a $10 app for blackberry. At the MOST $5.

Untill the app store comes for blackberrys, do some google searching to find apps for cheap or free. Often times you can find cupoun codes as well. Go with a blackberry
    02-14-09 08:07 AM
    The 8330 curve is my first BB, and I am in love. You should atleast give it a try, and again like other peeps have said, I too have gotten all my apps and themes for free....it doesn't hurt to try it.
    02-14-09 07:26 PM
    I probably would have gotten an Iphone is Verizon offered it, but...

I just purchased an 8330 curve online a few days ago and waiting on delivery. Having second thought's about the purchase and wondering if I should have instead gotten a good quality standard flip phone like the LG 8360 and a separate Itouch for a PDA.

Blackberry
    - I don't do a lot of texting.
    - It will not be sync'd with work email (personal phone)
    - Data plan is $30 p/m
    - Apps seem expensive $10-30.

Itouch
    - Many nice apps and inexpensive .99 - $10
    - Better quality video and display, larger.
    - Free use of WiFi hotspots, no data plan required

I've never had a blackberry but I did test drive it in the store and liked the trackball action, keypad and ease of navigation. I did not care of the new model with touch screen. What am I missing here? Wouldn't an Itouch and basic phone be better than a Blackberry? The Itouch has some awesome applications. Flame away... lol.
    The 8330 doesnt have Wi-fi... but the curve is an amazing phone I loved it when I had it and im sure yu'll feel the same.
    02-14-09 07:30 PM
    I have yet to pay for an application on my Bold. I use Instango for MSN and Yahoo IM, iSkoot for Skype, Metro for transportation, Telmap for navigation (though this is because I participate in their user group, Amaze and Nav4All are free alternatives), and got games from various places.

There are hundreds of threads on this site with links to free software. A quick search should help you find these. There is also free software I believe in the crackberry store. Lastly have a look at the links section on wap.crackberry.com

02-15-09 03:58 AM
    Pickncrew - I'm not going to flame ya. Just want to correct you. There are nudnicks here that sell apps for .99 cents too.

02-15-09 05:17 AM
    Well...at least you're taking the time to think about this, before buying anything, and finding out it's nothing like what you wanted/needed...and then trashing the phone, like so many others do.

A Blackberry may not be for you. That's fine. I like the iTouch, and may get one myself, because I love it. But as far as smartphones go, I'm totally caught up in my Blackberry. I can't even imagine using another phone. I love it that much.

Whatever you decide, l wish you the best. Also, how many "apps" do you actually need? Yes, the iPhone has a ton of apps, but how many will you use?
    02-15-09 12:11 PM
    it's true, the iphone app store has tons of cool apps. but what i love about my blackberry is how it lets me stay in touch with everyone. push email, blackberry messenger (free communication with anyone with a blackberry! my friend said it lets her talk to friends who are abroad as well, but i haven't tested this, so don't quote me on that), not to mention other (free) apps like facebook, gtalk, and aim. they all run on data too, so it makes the $30 i pay every month worth it. when i first got my balckberry, i thought $30 a month was pretty excessive for data as well, but i've found that it allows me to maximize the use of my blackberry without worrying about how much data i was using.

in short, my blackberry helps me get the basic things done, but if you want something more fun, i would definitely think about getting an itouch/iphone
    Last edited by redsoxrocker; 02-15-09 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo
    02-15-09 01:33 PM
    I've had my berries for over a year and buyers remorse is really kicking in. The only thing I really found it useful for was checking baseball scores. Checking emails was cool for the first few months and having bbm to speak to my gf is great too. But if I got any other phone with text and data the monthly features would cost the same but with other phones, most apps are free and there are many more of them.

02-15-09 02:17 PM
    I've had my berries for over a year and buyers remorse is really kicking in. The only thing I really found it useful for was checking baseball scores. Checking emails was cool for the first few months and having bbm to speak to my gf is great too. But if I got any other phone with text and data the monthly features would cost the same but with other phones, most apps are free and there are many more of them.

What other phones do you speak of? You can find free games for BBs too. You cannot say that there are not many BB apps out there. I think you need to do some searching my friend.
    02-15-09 02:42 PM
    I jumped into BB's with the Storm back in Nov 08. I am on my 4th Storm because something or other keeps breaking. I don't buy this hogwash with the OS not being ready and blah blah blah.

Then I find out the to keep BB's running one must do this ritual battery pull. This I discovered after talking to people who have BB's.

Had I known that BB's were so finicky I would never have purchased one. With this phone I am never sure if it is going to work, suddendly shut down, lock up or reboot.
    02-15-09 07:14 PM
    Its all up to you OP. I personally love my blackberry. And I also love my iTouch a lot. And though a lot of the apps are free they are mostly toys and its nothing wrong with that. Blackberry also have many free apps every app I have I don't remember paying for. I wouldn't pay for apps lol. Its all about personal preference. I personally email a lot and blackberry keeps me in touch.

Now when I know I'm going out I throw my iTouch in my pocket and bring it out. And I get the same reaction with my blackberry too. But as I said before its all up to you. You just gotta think about what you want and need

02-15-09 07:40 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD