Why does blackberry persist in taking such a new approach for every device it creates? It confuses the consumer.

Look at Apple and Samsung, they keep the same designs for a couple of years, with consistent product offerings across the range. Not only does this reinforce to the consumer what the brand is but it’s also a great way to save a bit of cash.

It is as if blackberry is searching for a 'one hit wonder' instead of looking to build a stable house. Constantly changing design language, form factors, operating systems, target markets and price points. Do they honestly believe that the Hamburg or Rome will be the saviour of the company; That there exists a magical mix of specs, price, design and form factor that will open the door? If only they could just stumble across it!

Not one device has been a direct replacement/upgrade of a previous model. It has always been a different approach. Why not take a product and develop its strengths and try to address some of the issues. This lack of any long term approach is to me the biggest reason we are seeing blackberry choking for existence in the handset business.

What do you guys think? Do you agree? Please discuss.

In other news my classic has just died and I can’t afford another so if anyone fancies on donating me one that would be lovely. (worth a shot)
    Q10Bold, brian4591 and FF22 like this.
    05-24-16 02:13 PM
    Blackberry is not looking to "save" hardware business. If the hardware division survives or not doesn't matter to major shareholders as much as the company making profits in other areas. Too much competition in hardware. Either they make it as niche player or they'll shut it down to redeploy money elsewhere. 40% of revenue is meaningless if not generating profits...

On a side note, BlackBerry Classics don't cost much anymore. A few hours OT should cover the cost. I've seen a few offered for sale rather cheap. That or place a bet on the Lightning...

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 02:32 PM
    If it doesn't matter to shareholders then why attempt it.

Rolling the dice on a different combo of specs, design and price every time seems like a bad idea every time. People need consistency in your offerings otherwise its too risky.

In other news, I cant justify the expense on a luxury item. The phone budget has been spent. I'll happily load up the 9700 for a bit of nostalgia.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 02:59 PM
    Why does blackberry persist in taking such a new approach for every device it creates? It confuses the consumer.

Look at Apple and Samsung, they keep the same designs for a couple of years, with consistent product offerings across the range. Not only does this reinforce to the consumer what the brand is but it�s also a great way to save a bit of cash.

It is as if blackberry is searching for a 'one hit wonder' instead of looking to build a stable house. Constantly changing design language, form factors, operating systems, target markets and price points. Do they honestly believe that the Hamburg or Rome will be the saviour of the company; That there exists a magical mix of specs, price, design and form factor that will open the door? If only they could just stumble across it!

Not one device has been a direct replacement/upgrade of a previous model. It has always been a different approach. Why not take a product and develop its strengths and try to address some of the issues. This lack of any long term approach is to me the biggest reason we are seeing blackberry choking for existence in the handset business.

What do you guys think? Do you agree? Please discuss.

In other news my classic has just died and I can�t afford another so if anyone fancies on donating me one that would be lovely. (worth a shot)
    I see your point but personally, the fact that Apple and Samsung's phones basically all look the same is one thing I don't like about them. BlackBerry devices, although different from each other, have certain qualities that make them distinctively BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 06:14 PM
    I see your point but personally, the fact that Apple and Samsung's phones basically all look the same is one thing I don't like about them. BlackBerry devices, although different from each other, have certain qualities that make them distinctively BlackBerry.
    Yes, anonymity and derision.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    05-24-16 06:56 PM
    See Apple and Samsung have both had major success on their devices (iPhone and galaxy) that's why they just keep updating this phones year after year, because they were proven successes. BlackBerry hasn't had a phone come out that has been widely adopted to be considered as success, therefore nothing to keep updating and improving. They need to keep trying out these different combinations until they find one that works

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 08:12 PM
    BlackBerry has a business model?
    05-24-16 08:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Apple and Samsung make money! The consumer has spoken and still BB wont listen.
    Andrew Sheil likes this.
    05-24-16 09:35 PM
    They switched to Android and are releasing new models on the OS. SMH at people thinking they'd release a Classic/Passport style 1:1 screen ratio device for Android when Google won't approve it.
    05-24-16 09:39 PM
    BlackBerry did very well with the Bold series, for example. So they do know how to build a series of successful devices that build on a consistent theme. The problem is they haven't had a successful model to build on since the last Bold.
    05-24-16 10:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    And it makes every purchase seem like a gamble on a new idea.

Your asking the consumer to take a risk on new product every time. We've all seen that product adoption graph. Blackberry will never get past early adopters if it keeps making new products instead of developing upon one that has had some success.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 02:50 AM
    BlackBerry did very well with the Bold series, for example. So they do know how to build a series of successful devices that build on a consistent theme. The problem is they haven't had a successful model to build on since the last Bold.
    This is part of the problem. The level of success that is expected of these devices. This is purely relative and probably based on the successes they have had with the bold series.

Take the passport, it was actually quite well received, it has some issues, some of which were design others were to do with the operating system.

It didn't sell huge numbers but does that make it a bad product or reflect the cautious consumer unwilling to invest this time around. For the people who did invest in it the majority are really pleased. (correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Instead of building on this a year later they decide to come up with something new altogether. This is my problem.

Perhaps the shareholders have been sold the idea that blackberry can come up with a device that can beat the iphone on its first attempt. This will never happen.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 03:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    Great point. +1

 Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2876
    05-25-16 04:33 AM
    This is part of the problem. The level of success that is expected of these devices. This is purely relative and probably based on the successes they have had with the bold series.

Take the passport, it was actually quite well received, it has some issues, some of which were design others were to do with the operating system.

It didn't sell huge numbers but does that make it a bad product or reflect the cautious consumer unwilling to invest this time around. For the people who did invest in it the majority are really pleased. (correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Instead of building on this a year later they decide to come up with something new altogether. This is my problem.

Perhaps the shareholders have been sold the idea that blackberry can come up with a device that can beat the iphone on its first attempt. This will never happen.
    Yeah, I agree that it would be helpful if there was an iconic BlackBerry. Right now there is not one. I'd agree BB under Chen are a little bit haphazard in their approach to marketing (the actual definition of marketing, not advertising).

The things that worry me about the Passport are (1) does a wide form factor app appeal to a wide enough audience? and (2) how expensive is that thing to make? Isn't it much less expensive to use more commonly available screen sizes?

Now "wide enough audience" is an open question. I understand what you're saying there. Obviously you can't expect to sell 5M devices in your first few days like a new iPhone will or even 5M in your first quarter. So that shouldn't be the level of expectation.

We've seen a high end BB10 phone with an unusual new form factor (the only new BB I've bought myself under Chen), and a mid range traditional BB10 phone, and a high end Android slider, and now apparently two new mid-range Android devices. So yeah, that's a bit all over the place.
    05-25-16 08:46 AM
    They DID know how to make a successful device. They've forgotten literally everything they ever knew, IMO. An intentional amnesia inflicted by ML himself after reading "The Innovator's Dilemma", it seems. Go figure.

BBRY is a different company producing different products designed by different people. Only the name is similar. If there's anyone who's ever even held a Bold in their hand still involved in handset & OS design, they haven't had much influence since 2011, IMO.
    05-25-16 09:25 AM
    See Apple and Samsung have both had major success on their devices (iPhone and galaxy) that's why they just keep updating this phones year after year, because they were proven successes. BlackBerry hasn't had a phone come out that has been widely adopted to be considered as success, therefore nothing to keep updating and improving. They need to keep trying out these different combinations until they find one that works

Posted via CB10
    I disagree. I think a lot of Samsungs recent success has come by after realising they need to create some consistency with their products. Reassure the consumer that their phone will be updated not replaced. The s5 wasn't a runaway success, the s6 was a nice improvement and the s7 is now considered a great phone.

Before this samsung was the best of a confused lot, now they are the defacto apple alternative.

The galaxy note was panned by most but loved by a few when it launched. They improved upon it gradually and now its loved by most and panned by few. Yes there are other reasons why the note was a success but I believe the commitment to a product has played a large part in this.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Andrew Sheil; 05-25-16 at 11:56 AM.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    05-25-16 11:26 AM
    Mainly because nothing they've created in the past decade has taken off in any way shape or form.

They're a lost child in a forest with no direction to go.
    05-25-16 11:33 AM
    Mainly because nothing they've created in the past decade has taken off in any way shape or form.

They're a lost child in a forest with no direction to go.
    They're a lost child in a forest trying to build an axe when they should concentrate on making a map.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 11:44 AM
    That are known for many phones with physical keyboards. That is what they should focus on. If people want an all-touch Android device, they already have 500+ models to choose from!
    Q10Bold and Andrew Sheil like this.
    05-25-16 11:51 AM
    They don't have a plan or vision. They are just trying to throw stuff at the wall and see if anything sticks.
    Andrew Sheil likes this.
    05-25-16 12:11 PM
    They're a lost child in a forest trying to build an axe when they should concentrate on making a map.

Posted via CB10
    That's an amazing analogy.

That's basically BlackBerry ever since the downfall started.
    techvisor likes this.
    05-25-16 12:16 PM
    People used to complain on here that BlackBerry kept making the same phone year after year... and that no one could tell the difference between and old model and a new one...

Ideas already discussed:

- They're known for keyboards and should stick with them
    - No one wants a keyboard anymore, so stop producing keyboards
    - Only two devices a year
    - Need a wide selection of devices
    - Follow Apple with only one model a year... (that was until Apple released two)
    - Flagship model this year should be next year's cheap model
    - Release full-touch, keyboard and slider (though it's true, slider has yet to be tested with BB10)
    - High-end and low-end of each type, full-touch, keyboard, slider, totaling in six models a year
    etc.
    rt2567 and jas1978 like this.
    05-25-16 04:21 PM
    I agree with OP. All of the devices issued in 2011 , Torch and Bold were distinctively BlackBerry. A good thing.
    Andrew Sheil likes this.
    05-25-16 04:36 PM
    I disagree. I think a lot of Samsungs recent success has come by after realising they need to create some consistency with their products. Reassure the consumer that their phone will be updated not replaced. The s5 wasn't a runaway success, the s6 was a nice improvement and the s7 is now considered a great phone.

Before this samsung was the best of a confused lot, now they are the defacto apple alternative.

The galaxy note was panned by most but loved by a few when it launched. They improved upon it gradually and now its loved by most and panned by few. Yes there are other reasons why the note was a success but I believe the commitment to a product has played a large part in this.

Posted via CB10
    You need to check your history bud, the S3 was a massive success and put Samsung in the true lead in the smartphone game! And then the S4 was an even bigger success. The S3 and 4 were the true iPhone killers cause they're the phones that many iPhone users actually made the jump to in mass numbers

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    05-25-16 04:59 PM
    Apple upgrades the camera and processor with each new model iPhone.
    Androids are the same, just bigger than iPhones..

BlackBerry should study this.
    05-25-16 05:15 PM
72 123