Hi all,

I am about to buy a blackberry and have a question. I dont want to pay an additional $50 a month for unlimited data and texting, and was wondering if I could use any third party applications or the aim application preinstalled on the blackberry bold to send and receive messages, so I wouldnt need to pay an additional $20 every month for the unlimited texting plan. I have heard conflicting answers. Some say using apps like these count as sms, while others say it uses the data. If any of these apps do use data, will my friends be charged to view the messages I sent them? I believe (I may be wrong) that if I do use these apps, unless I am signed in and have already started a chat with someone, if they text me, it will count as an sms message, and will be on my bill (since I dont want to take a text messaging plan). Is this true? Thanks for your time. Any ideas/opinions are appreciated
    11-16-09 03:04 PM
    If it is just data then you're ok, however if some apps just allow you to send texts as a matter of convenience then i think you'll be using texts. I have never used apps for this but i am sure someone will point you out in the right direction. I would prefer just having "regular" texts but 20 bucks a month is a bit of change and i understand where you are coming from.
    11-16-09 03:08 PM
    for your BB friends just use bbm otherwise yes you could use aim and these will just use data.

I text like crazy so the 20 bux is very worth it.

also you can just email people.
    11-16-09 04:38 PM
    I have read that this application isnt compatible with the bold. Do you have a link for this application?
    11-16-09 07:54 PM
    The IM clients installed stock on the BB are data and do not count as SMSs on your side, HOWEVER they could be text on the other side.

Here is a link for a program called Instango which is a free app which has the ability to handle multiple IM accounts.

instango.com - Mobile Instant Messaging
    11-16-09 08:05 PM
    I have heard of bee jive, which is I think a one time payment of 15.99. Can this also be used as an alternative to text other phones? I have heard its very stable and the best part is you are still technically logged in every time you close the program for 24 hours. And with blackberry's email capabilities, this is a good duo, if possible.
    11-16-09 08:36 PM
    I have heard of bee jive, which is I think a one time payment of 15.99. Can this also be used as an alternative to text other phones? I have heard its very stable and the best part is you are still technically logged in every time you close the program for 24 hours. And with blackberry's email capabilities, this is a good duo, if possible.
    Here are the one's available at the CB Store...

Communication & Internet - Messengers BlackBerry Software - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store

Yea beejive is a good option too, it's here...

Beejive - instant messaging anywhere
    11-17-09 12:54 AM
    two things that might help you out...

1. Sign up for google voice. Go to google.com/voice on your desktop to sign up for an account. You can send and receive SMS texts, unlimited, from your google voice control panel. Download the app for your blackberry and you can send SMS texts for free from your blackberry. I used to have the bold 9000 but now I have a storm2 with the google voice app installed and there is no way in h@ll I am ever gonna pay $15-20 or whatever extra per month just to send text messages.

2. Download a multi client I'm app like Instango or BeeJive. I've used them both before on my bold and they both work well. Beejive had a few more bells and whistles but instango is free.

If your other friends have blackberries then stick with bbm because of course that is free as long as you have at least a basic BIS plan.

Oh and by the way, all the apps I mention above all use data and do NOT deduct or charge anything as texts to your existing plan. Go to m.crackberry.com and click the link for free apps and they are listed there.
    Last edited by vegan411; 11-17-09 at 02:16 AM.
    11-17-09 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD