Alright so I've been trying to figure out why the Bold's keyboard isn't doing it for me. Visually of course, not technically speaking. Technically it's up to par and more, very quick and easy to use keyboard. Now when it comes to appearance, I noticed right away something wasn't what I expected. Now I see it, it's the numbers on the keys and the color of the lighting.

geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/john-mayer-blackberry-bold2jpg.jpg

In that picture you can see the numbers on the buttons are red and the keyboard appears to be backlit with a white color. On my phone, there is no red on the buttons (which I obviously can't alter) and the lighting is green. The ball is white and I was wondering if I can make the entire keyboard white like that.

Also the icons on my screen are colored thus not emphasizing the Bold's ability to strongly differentiate whites and blacks. Can anybody guide me as to where to find the icons in the provided picture above, and to a nice background for the Bold?

I greatly appreciate any replies, thanks in advance guys.
    12-25-08 10:44 AM
    Appearance aside, I really didn't like the feel of the Bold's keyboard compared to the one on my Curve...I probably won't get a Bold because of that one issue. It's a shame because other than that, the Bold is a sweet piece of hardware.
    Last edited by TampaDude; 12-25-08 at 09:07 PM.
    12-25-08 10:54 AM
    Alright so I've been trying to figure out why the Bold's keyboard isn't doing it for me. Visually of course, not technically speaking. Technically it's up to par and more, very quick and easy to use keyboard. Now when it comes to appearance, I noticed right away something wasn't what I expected. Now I see it, it's the numbers on the keys and the color of the lighting.

geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/john-mayer-blackberry-bold2jpg.jpg

In that picture you can see the numbers on the buttons are red and the keyboard appears to be backlit with a white color. On my phone, there is no red on the buttons (which I obviously can't alter) and the lighting is green. The ball is white and I was wondering if I can make the entire keyboard white like that.

Also the icons on my screen are colored thus not emphasizing the Bold's ability to strongly differentiate whites and blacks. Can anybody guide me as to where to find the icons in the provided picture above, and to a nice background for the Bold?

I greatly appreciate any replies, thanks in advance guys.
    the red keys come from different carriers. i beleive rogers, and carriers overseas have those. ATT has the all white keyboard. you can purchase a new keyboard for your bold, but it would void the warranty once you put it on. you might try using the precision silver theme on your bold as well. that should take the color out of the icons. as for wallpapers or backgrounds try this: BlackBerry 480x320 Wallpapers | CrackBerry.com
    12-25-08 11:00 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Got a few wallpapers off that link, good resource

I don't think I'd want to swap out keyboards as if something goes wrong I don't want to dish out the full $500 + for the replacement Bold. Pertaining to the keyboard though, is there any way to change the way it's lit? I've never gotten into phone hardware really, but just by looking at the scroll ball I see the color I'd want the entire keyboard to be. Is there a way for me to make the entire keyboard light up white rather than the seemingly ugly-ish green that flows through every key? Let me know guys, thanks again for the replies
    12-26-08 09:42 AM
    Hi.

I am also less than pleased with the usability of my new BB 8900's black keyboard. Its not good enough for me to to see clearly in low light situations and 'learning it' or not looking at the keyboard is a no-go for me. (I have to look - at least some of the time - and as for getting used to it - I have had about 10 years of qwerty phones experience behind me so if it hasn't happened already - its not going to now).

I suffer from the usual middle aged sight issues many people develop and now need reading glasses. I have all the fonts on my BB set to large - its all working very well. But the transition from an older BB Curve with white keys (amazingly easy to read in low light or even total darkness) to the Javelin with its dim black keys isn't sitting well with me..

Anyhow, onward from moaning to action, I do want to fit a white keyboard on mine. I have contacted a BB spares company and will report back here with my findings. Hopefully a different model will emerge (perhaps on AT&T USA) I am over in the UK and I think I saw a Carphone Warehouse 8900 with white keys (on a different network from me). Hopefully the retrofit parts will become available.

Has anyone seen an 8900 with white keys?

Has anyone put white keys on their Bold?

Thanks..
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 02-02-09 at 04:59 AM.
    02-02-09 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD