You've made this claim a few times now....but failed to explain how it was "not up to the mark" and "outdated". Simply because it didn't have an Apple logo on the back? Because it had a different sized/shaped touchscreen than Apple. Exactly how wasn't it....for the time....up to the mark?

3 years later, I'd put the 9900 up against any phone for speed and efficiency of use when it comes to communicating...it's still the reigning king in that category, a sentiment routinely echoed here on CB. Now, if you want to replace your gameboy or your GPS, you might consider something else.
    Does it run subway surfer, temple run etc? Is the browser even comparable to chrome? The display was plastic too not a glass screen if i'm not wrong. The specs were very much outdated. Not even had enough memory to install apps, but the app world sucked! Used to freeze a lot, the camera sucks, the battery is worse!. Do u need anymore reasons?

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    06-08-14 08:01 AM
    To the people saying it is priced so that people are pushed towards BB10, that is a very illogical argument. If people didn't get BB10 phones before, they won't all of a sudden decide too because the 9900 is re released and expensive. The bottom line is that $399 is not a reasonable price point for a phone released in 2011 even if there was a small production run. I think it all depends on the numbers actually produced. Hopefully they didn't produce too much.

Also people saying it is irrelevant for every days consumers are wrong because if that was the case it wouldn't be listed in shop BlackBerry. Enterprises do not buy phones from Shop BlackBerry.
    morales0416 likes this.
    06-08-14 08:18 AM
    You've made this claim a few times now....but failed to explain how it was "not up to the mark" and "outdated". Simply because it didn't have an Apple logo on the back? Because it had a different sized/shaped touchscreen than Apple. Exactly how wasn't it....for the time....up to the mark?

3 years later, I'd put the 9900 up against any phone for speed and efficiency of use when it comes to communicating...it's still the reigning king in that category, a sentiment routinely echoed here on CB. Now, if you want to replace your gameboy or your GPS, you might consider something else.
    The underlying factor is that BlackBerry phones were once used by every type of consumer, not just ones looking for speed, efficiency and the best in communication. The demands of the typical consumer have changed over the years. Apps seem to be much more important than ever these days, as well as other features that the original smartphones did not have. So in those respects, the 9900 was not up to par with its competitors. People on here like to describe apple products as toys. I don't see apple products as toys. My biggest gripe with apple are their limitations. Like being told I don't need to be able to replace my battery or that I don't need a file manager. That does not make it any less a phone or a toy and with excellent marketing the average consumer is pleased with their products. You do not represent the average consumer, because if you did, BlackBerry would not be where they are now.
    BeheGOD and solitude1984 like this.
    06-08-14 08:28 AM
    I sincerely hope that there is a method in this "madness". Time will certainly tell.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 08:31 AM

I guess that depends on what you mean by communicating. With many of the mainstream social/messaging apps missing from BB07 it really can't compare. Now I suspect you're going to tell me that you don't use any of those apps which is fine for you but if someone who wasn't bias (i.e. the sentiments echoed here on CB) had to review BB07 against iOS or Android it would lose hands down for the limitations on communicating due to those missing apps (Vine, KIK, FB-Messenger, Skype, Hangouts etc, Whatsapp). How people communicate has changed (the very thing that caught BBRY off guard IMO).

Last edited by Bigruss8; 06-08-14 at 08:59 AM.
    06-08-14 08:42 AM
    My company is waiting to buy 40 of these. We have started to offer iPhone 5c and Galaxy 4 but many employees want a physical keyboard. Our IT department is unwilling to update our servers for BB10 at this time.

Posted via CB10
    thekidshop and BeheGOD like this.
    06-08-14 08:44 AM
    Does it run subway surfer, temple run etc?

No, it's not a gameboy.

the browser even comparable to chrome?
    No, that is a definitely it's weak point, but you could still load web sites and read things and even interact, albiet with more difficulty due to screen size and browser.

DThe display was plastic too not a glass screen if i'm not wrong.
    If the 9900 screen is plastic, its the most glass like plastic I've ever seen. But don't other phones have non glass screens?

The specs were very much outdated.

Specs are relative to the job they are intended to perform.

Not even had enough memory to install apps,

Mmmm.....It doesn't have a lot of memory, but you can certainly install apps. I've got a bunch.

but the app world sucked!

The app word has nothing to do with the phone. BB doesn't make apps....developers do.

Used to freeze a lot,

Probably due to the memory issue you mentioned as you may have been running too many things

the camera sucks,

Yea, the camera mediore, but I wouldn't say it sucked. At the time it came out it wasn't that horrible.

the battery is worse!.
    Uh, what? My 9900 last for nearly two days if i do light work. It's still one of it's top advantages. And, you can CHANGE it, unlike the awesome battery of the Iphone that you can't.

. Do u need anymore reasons?

That's completely up to you and purely subjective.
    Q10Bold and flyingsolid like this.
    06-08-14 08:57 AM
    I guess that depends on what you mean by communicating.
    I mean receiving a message on a commonly used platform (not the flavor of the month) and responding quickly and accurately with the least amount of effort.

With many of the mainstream social/messaging apps missing from BB07 it really can't compare.

You mean like Facebook? The most mainstream there is. Or.....Twitter? Second most mainstream. How about Linkedin? All there.

Now I suspect you're going to tell me that you don't use any of those apps which is fine for you but if someone who wasn't bias (i.e. the sentiments echoed here on CB) had to review BB07 against iOS or Android it would lose hands down for the limitations on communicating due to those missing apps (Vine, KIK, FB-Messenger, Skype, Hangouts etc, Whatsapp). How people communicate has changed (the very thing that caught BBRY of guard IMO).

Ah, so your only biased if you don't happen to revolve around those various new proprietary services. Got it. But, this has nothing to do with the phone....this is.....as you just pointed out.....an app issue. BB doesn't make apps, nor does Apple, or Google or MS: Developers do.

Communicating is a larger concept than simply being able to run a particular proprietary service. And regardless of any particular proprietary network or flavor of the month service, communicating hasn't changed, and still requires the same things that BB, especially a 9900 excels at, even if the particular proprietary service didn't bother to make an app for a particular phones OS. It's still amazingly fast when it comes to banging out a more complex message beyond something more than 140 characters....and doing it one handed with gloves on. It's still got a keyboard and a belt for insanely fast navigation and shortcuts. It's got holster profiles, etc, etc. Yes, the other phones have apps (built by developers) for those various new services, but the same limitations of input and notification still apply.

I've owned and used them all, and to this day the 9900 is still the king of speed and efficiency, despite the fact there is no app for whatever vine-o-gram-kik-out that gets introduced next month.
    Q10Bold and Frehley like this.
    06-08-14 09:16 AM
    The underlying factor is that BlackBerry phones were once used by every type of consumer,
    This is flat out incorrect. BB was only in the hands of the elite, the biz people, the people who spend that extra money per month and could actually.........gasp.....get emails on their phone! Celebrities and rich people had them. Not 13 year-olds and grandmothers.

. The demands of the typical consumer have changed over the years. .
    The demands of the "typical consumer" have been exactly the same as when Steve Jobs stood on a stage and showed them an Ipod with a phone and email on a full touch screen. Not until he introduced this did consumers even expect this. The concept of "apps", also introduced by Jobs/Apple simply created a new market space and thus demand. Before this, no one was clamoring for any of those things so BB didn't have to make any changes. The existing BlackBerry market saw its customers eventually bailing because they were caught up in this new wave, especially as Iphone started to get push email, etc.

. Apps seem to be much more important than ever these days, as well as other features that the original smartphones did not have.
    Absolutely. Apple is the best marketing company is the history of consumer products. Blackberry was too slow to respond, and figured that 13 year olds and Grandmothers wouldn't be spending $100 month for smart phones like CEO's and celebrities were. They turned out to be wrong.

So in those respects, the 9900 was not up to par with its competitors..
    It wasn't as nearly out of vogue back when it was introduced as it is now. 3 years is an eternity. And "up to par" is subjective. Many stuck with BB because it was way better than Iphone, etc for the things they wanted most.

People on here like to describe apple products as toys. I don't see apple products as toys. My biggest gripe with apple are their limitations. Like being told I don't need to be able to replace my battery or that I don't need a file manager.
    Well, yes, that's why many people view it as more of a toy, since most people don't care about those tools you mentioned, and are mostly seen playing a game or posting on Facebook with it. It's reputation is deserved. That's doesn't mean former BB people aren't also now holding them as well.

That does not make it any less a phone or a toy and with excellent marketing the average consumer is pleased with their products.
    Yes, the average consumer isn't as concerned with tools like the original market for smart phones was when BlackBerry created it.

You do not represent the average consumer, because if you did, BlackBerry would not be where they are now.
    No, I'm much more demanding than the average consumer when it comes to productivity and ease/speed of communications. I'd LOVE to have those neat apps in the same phone that also screams at messaging, but until then I'll have to carry multiple devices. BB clearly didn't anticipate that the market for smartphones....which they owned.....would get 100 times it's size in just a few years, and most of the new consumers in that market wouldn't be as concerned about business or speed or accuracy, they'd care about cool, about touch, about itunes, etc. This snowballed as they eventually cared about apps....that BB couldn't get developers to make for them. BB could have responded and offered something similar and leveraged their already existing advantages, but by the time they did it was too late.
    Q10Bold and byex like this.
    06-08-14 09:44 AM
    Well you did exactly what I thought you would do, you dismiss those apps as 'flavor of the month', because they are unimportant to you. I think you need to google Whatsapp cause I assure you it is not flavour of the month.
    I don't know a single person that uses Whatsapp. I know a couple that use Google Hangouts. Reality is reality. Whatsapp is still down the list.

Not sure why you feel the 'complex' messages you send are only achievable using the 9900. I have no problems sending complex messages using my Note 3 (I am infinitely faster on a virtual keyboard then I ever was on my 9900).
    Note 3? Sure, I'm fast on a screen that 7 times the size too. Do you put that in your pocket or your belt?

I get your point that Apps aren't made by BBRY but unfortunately that is what is causing the most pain for BBRY right now and therefore a problem they must solve.
    But has nothing to do with 9900.

Like it or not, those flavor of the month apps that you feel are completely unimportant and don't use are used by a lot of other people for how they communicate so they need to be there.
    Define "a lot of people".
    06-08-14 09:48 AM
    This next production run is for enterprise demand and likely will have a different price for those enterprise customers. The run probably will have extra handsets and that will be sold direct to small/medium sized companies and consumers if they want them. This isn't a fire sale so get over it.

Also, what do you want BlackBerry to do? Say sorry to company X that they have to wait for the Classic? Risk them going to the competition? What's wrong with giving your best and loyal (or even new) customers what they want?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 09:53 AM
    I'm confused on something. Isn't the shop Blackberry site aimed at consumers? I keep seeing the "well it's for enterprise customers" said on here. What company is going to get on shop blackberry and purchase that phone?
    Rello likes this.
    06-08-14 09:58 AM
    I think there are more than triple the whatsapp users than bbm users! I have 500 whatsapp contacts and 100 bbm contacts.

06-08-14 10:04 AM
    I'm confused on something. Isn't the shop Blackberry site aimed at consumers? I keep seeing the "well it's for enterprise customers" said on here. What company is going to get on shop blackberry and purchase that phone?
    You need to expand your thinking on the possibilities out there. For instance, nothing's stopping an IT/MDM decision-maker for a smaller company from purchasing and testing a possible mobile solution that will meet their business requirements.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 10:19 AM
    You need to expand your thinking on the possibilities out there. For instance, nothing's stopping an IT/MDM decision-maker for a smaller company from purchasing and testing a possible mobile solution that will meet their business requirements.

Posted via CB10
    Oops pressed Post by accident. They can quickly set up a proof-of-concept and trial the usage of BlackBerry devices. Smaller companies are those not in the larger enterprise clients.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 10:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Unless they are brand new to IT I'm sure they are aware of the 9900. And I'd fire the first IT guy that purchased this phone for $400.
    Nemzy, JeepBB and MarsupilamiX like this.
    06-08-14 10:45 AM
    Just because this run is aimed at enterprise, doesn't mean they won't happily sell to Joe Consumer. They have them, they may as well sell them, especially if they can sell them at this price. This is a picture of what the future looks like for BlackBerry if they can't get consumers to adopt BB10. They'll make handsets for enterprise as an end to end solution for security with BES, and Joe Consumer will be able to have one at a premium price, likely with a very limited app catalogue. As witnessed by the response on here, that won't go over well and most of the 'fan boys' commenting on here will move to a different platform because 'I want this device, but $400 is way too much.'
    The problem I have with this is not the pricing. They need to find ways of getting BBOS users to BB10. For BB10 to survive, it needs mass adoption, either from BBOS users or users from other platforms. Other platform users are not going to come because 'there are no apps' and there aren't going to be apps unless the market share goes up. That leaves BBOS, and making another production run for them is not helping. So IMO, $400 isn't too much for this phone, $500 isn't too much. They want it, they should have to pay for it.
    06-08-14 12:26 PM
    if u want i can troll ur dumb arguments u put forth, but its just not worthy enough to waste my time on.
    And yet, here you are.

I'm a fanboy because of what it does, not because of what it thinks i should do. Means am not a "blind" fanboy like you.
    Makes no sense. You accuse someone of being a fanboy, then admit you're a fanboy. Odd.

lol do i look like i care?
    Rediculous question since I can't actually see you. But then again, I didn't really expect any logic from you based on your posts thus far. But, if I had to guess based on your posts....I'd say that, yes, you do care, otherwise you wouldn't keep trolling.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 06-08-14 at 01:31 PM.
    06-08-14 01:16 PM
    Just because this run is aimed at enterprise, doesn't mean they won't happily sell to Joe Consumer. They have them, they may as well sell them, especially if they can sell them at this price. This is a picture of what the future looks like for BlackBerry if they can't get consumers to adopt BB10. They'll make handsets for enterprise as an end to end solution for security with BES, and Joe Consumer will be able to have one at a premium price, likely with a very limited app catalogue. As witnessed by the response on here, that won't go over well and most of the 'fan boys' commenting on here will move to a different platform because 'I want this device, but $400 is way too much.'
    The problem I have with this is not the pricing. They need to find ways of getting BBOS users to BB10. For BB10 to survive, it needs mass adoption, either from BBOS users or users from other platforms. Other platform users are not going to come because 'there are no apps' and there aren't going to be apps unless the market share goes up. That leaves BBOS, and making another production run for them is not helping. So IMO, $400 isn't too much for this phone, $500 isn't too much. They want it, they should have to pay for it.
    I agree with you but if they are willing to sell it to Joe Consumer then what on earth makes them think that people will buy it off of them for $400 when they can pick up one for half the price or less from other online retailers? I could care less as to me the 9900 wasn't that great of a phone to begin with but it just shows a complete lack of reality thinking that they are even in the ballpark with this pricing and that people will pay $200 more because they bought it directly from BB.
    06-08-14 02:32 PM
    I agree with you but if they are willing to sell it to Joe Consumer then what on earth makes them think that people will buy it off of them for $400 when they can pick up one for half the price or less from other online retailers? I could care less as to me the 9900 wasn't that great of a phone to begin with but it just shows a complete lack of reality thinking that they are even in the ballpark with this pricing and that people will pay $200 more because they bought it directly from BB.
    My company could not find any Bold 9900 for sale in the past 9 months from the carrier we use (Bell). Therefore it is not $200 more because we couldn't buy any.
    06-08-14 03:07 PM
    I don't know a single person that uses Whatsapp. I know a couple that use Google Hangouts. Reality is reality. Whatsapp is still down the list.

Note 3? Sure, I'm fast on a screen that 7 times the size too. Do you put that in your pocket or your belt?

But has nothing to do with 9900.

Define "a lot of people".
    So because you don't know anyone anyone using Whatsapp it's not popular?

My Note 3 fits fine in my pocket. It's not my first touch screen device, I have had iPhones and androids, they size of the device isn't why I prefer a virtual keyboard.

I doubt you're going to debate facts with me other than engage in blind fanboyism responses.

Good luck with your 9900.
    06-08-14 03:20 PM
    My company could not find any Bold 9900 for sale in the past 9 months from the carrier we use (Bell). Therefore it is not $200 more because we couldn't buy any.
    Oh is your company Joe Consumer?
    06-08-14 03:22 PM
    You do know that there is whatsapp on BBOS7 or even Nokias Symbian?! (at least 1,5years ago, there was WA)

Posted via Q10Bold
    06-08-14 03:55 PM
    A step going backwards

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 04:00 PM
    As so many have all ready pointed out this is a phone for enterprise not for the general consumer. Don't tell BlackBerry not to sell them because you don't want one. You have a whole lot of people here complaining that you can't get all your favorite apps on this phone, but for many companies this is a bit of an advantage. Do you really want all your employees spending all their time at work checking out their friends on Facebook, following their favorite Celebrities on twitter or spending an hour or two playing candy crush. Those companies would also save quite a bit of money on Internet buy using BIS instead of another Internet service. The point is if this phone is not for you don't worry about it, get your self a different phone. Why are you here getting all worked up, there are plenty of phones on the market.

Posted via CB10
    thekidshop likes this.
    06-08-14 04:05 PM
110 12345