In my view BB10 has not reached its full potential and still lags behind IOS and Android. It always frustrates me to see small simple items missing from BB10, even functions from OS7 ! I think at 2yrs out, this OS should be functionally on par with any OS and yet it still lacks many common industry features (don't get me started on the Passport camera). As Blackberry fans, we tend to compare one BB release to the next, but what Blackberry should be doing is comparing it's next release to future IOS and Android releases.

Yes, BB10 has come along way and has many great features, but in it's current state, it will never compel IOS or Android users to switch en mass.
    Please elaborate. What's missing, aside from the camera not being quite as good? (In my view, pretty much all cellphone cameras suck... I'm spoiled by my DSLR system).
    01-31-15 05:35 PM
    To go full android would mean better battery life(they could optimize the phone for the runtime instead of just throwing it in there), full access to the Play Store, and finally being able to code notifications for android apps to be in the Hub. It was annoying to no end when i would use an app on my Z and I had to physically go into the app to get a notification.
    This is not going to happen.

There are plenty of companies already making consumer-grade Android phones... Samsung, LG, Motorola/Lenovo, HTC. BlackBerry isn't going to enter that market, especially not when its edge is security, and Android is so insecure. A major reason why I've stuck with BB is for the security it offers. I imagine others here feel the same way. I appreciate having the runtime available; but I am incredibly glad BB10 is NOT Android-based. There's very little about Android I like.

CEO John Chen's strategy for devices is to carve out a niche with enterprise customers, and that's a sensible approach. The Passport has dimensions that are useful for applications in the health sector, for example.
    01-31-15 05:45 PM
    Wholeheartedly agree with your statement
    01-31-15 07:35 PM
    IMO BlackBerry 10 is doing great. But still need do homework. Especially compared with windowsphone. Windows phone store significantly develops (new apps and updates).

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is very nice and I love my Z30 but I think I would say Windows Phone has the clear advantage. If MS can pull off their universal app strategy with Windows 10 then they will be in a good strong position. Developers developing for Windows won't care so much about the small marketshare of the phone and tablet side of Windows if it just requires minimal effort to target those devices. Any extra revenue generated by phone and tablet app sales will be seen as a nice bonus.

BB10's big problem is lack of native apps and it's reliance on Android. Recently there was an update to the One Drive app in Snap so I updated it, once updated it no longer worked on the current official release of BB10 on my Z30. This is an example of an app that doesn't rely on Google Play services and still doesn't work with BB10. Sure I can install a leaked updated version of the OS but having to do that makes BB10 feel like a hobbyist OS, as does having to use something like Snap in the first place to get the app.
    01-31-15 08:52 PM
    A few issues with your comment:
    1. I'm not sure if you know this or not, but the term, "a snail's pace" usually involves how often or frequent something happens. He's referring to the frequency of updates, not their contents.
    2. He criticized BlackBerry. Is that not allowed here?
    3. Why is any criticism of BlackBerry always met with a list of issues that another company or OS may have or have had? Your comment may as well have been, "But, but Apple has problems, too!" The issue here is BlackBerry, not Apple. Don't be a fanboy and bury your head in the sand, thinking they can do no wrong or that they don't need to improve.
    1. I know the term snail. If you take time to read by yourself the link about iOS, you will learn that iOS took longer times to deliver updates. BB OS 10 has gone from 10.0.x to 10.3.x in almost two years. iOS usually takes a year to deliver a new version. So which one is snail?
    2. Show me where in my comment I said such thing.
    3. If OP ask if BB OS 10 has made significant progress, I must compare it with an OS competitor. Don't you think? A fanboy does not point to FACTS. Did I "defend" BB OS 10, or pointed progress without providing any fact?
    Last edited by eduzojordan; 01-31-15 at 10:11 PM.
    Skyforever likes this.
    01-31-15 09:37 PM
    But iOS 5 was almost 4 years back. No use talking about which grew at what pace because where they are currently, is more important.
    Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    Agree, I was just pointing the fact that first version of a competing OS lacked many "basic" functionality. Besides third party APPS, the core BB OS 10 (is my understanding that OP is talking about OS) has significant difference when compared with the competition? Do you really think that BB OS 10 has no made significant progress, considering that has achieved almost same functionality that rival OSs in two years, rather than 8 or 10 years?
    01-31-15 09:44 PM
    This is not going to happen.

There are plenty of companies already making consumer-grade Android phones... Samsung, LG, Motorola/Lenovo, HTC. BlackBerry isn't going to enter that market, especially not when its edge is security, and Android is so insecure. A major reason why I've stuck with BB is for the security it offers. I imagine others here feel the same way. I appreciate having the runtime available; but I am incredibly glad BB10 is NOT Android-based. There's very little about Android I like.

CEO John Chen's strategy for devices is to carve out a niche with enterprise customers, and that's a sensible approach. The Passport has dimensions that are useful for applications in the health sector, for example.
    I understand but just having the runtime is pretty stupid. It needs to be optimized for the phone. A Lot of apps are buggy, don't work, or need Google play services. Having a deal with Google to give them access to their store while also preserving what is the core of blackberry would be a win-win. What they have now isn't nearly enough to compete in the consumer market.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald likes this.
    01-31-15 09:44 PM
    I agree as well with the OP

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 09:46 PM
    Wait a minute, are there actually real people out there using a BB10 device who are actually denying that there has been significant progress since it's launch 2 years ago? Hm. Interesting. In my experience there has been some very cool significant progresses between the Z10, the Z30, and the Passport and it's not just the form factor of the Passport (which is amazing (by the way)! Those who complaint about the Classic. What's your problem? Don't like it, don't buy it. Those who have them love them! It's not hard to figure out that BlackBerry has a healthy market for the Classic. When I look around I see the Classic being sold when and where the Passport has never been sold. What does it all mean?! I'm just happy that I have a phone that I'm having a great time with. OP believes BlackBerry BB10 OS lags. That has not been my experience when compared to iOS, and android. BlackBerry's' server is fast, very fast, faster than any other out there, and I'm enjoying it very much. More so with each new update. I would agree that it would be very cool if we could get these updates through BlackBerry without carrier dependance. The carriers are way to slow! When you consider the Passport, the most amazing phone out there in the World the Passport is still not being sold by AT&T, or any other US carrier? I find that both intriguing and fascinating. Yet BlackBerry manages to be loved enough for their products and services to keep themselves going, and growing. Keep it moving BlackBerry. Enjoy your phone.
    01-31-15 10:47 PM
    Well said.

IOS eco system is popular – but the hardware seems to carry a steep price tag, imho.

Whilst the other popular alternative Android-based handsets are said to be potentially insecure due to that system's open source heritage.

But there is a more than tangible alternative – BlackBerry.

- Of whom, it’s now actually becoming old fashioned to think that they are “old hat” anymore.

Why?

Because the modern day BlackBerry range includes the silky Z10 and Z30 all-touch phones, with no (old-fashioned) Back Button, plus the redesigned Qwerty-based Q5 and Q10 handsets, and the new Classic model, not to mention the world-class Blackberry Passport flagship phone - all of which include the continually improving and stable BB10 operating system; which also runs Android apps.

However, BlackBerry smart phones are way too smart to be toys.

Toys can break easily, have built-in obsolescence and sometimes abruptly fall out of fashion.

But BlackBerry phones are high performance communication and information devices that thrive on a secure and stable BB10 platform - a platform that can also run popular android apps, as well as delivering swift web browsing and a media-rich experience.

The myth that BlackBerry are dead or dying is belied by the fact that global leaders continue to rely on BlackBerry phones, thanks to their world-beating security features that can also allow for the additional on-the-hoof contemporary media and communication requirements of demanding users.

And that's also why corporates and their employees need no longer fall victim to sometimes confusing and inconsistent BYOD policies, thanks to the inclusive business capabilities of today’s high calibre BlackBerry BB10 range.

Which is why picking a BlackBerry, these days, makes more sense than not.
    Last edited by PickaBlackberry; 02-01-15 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Have you picked a BlackBerry yet?
    eduzojordan likes this.
    02-01-15 12:52 AM
    Hmm...BB10 may have made some progress over the past two years but the "Tools, not toys" mantra definitely has not.
    wincyUt likes this.
    02-01-15 01:41 AM
    The OS and the company came a long way.

However, competitors came a much longer way.

Despite the progress, BlackBerry is more behind then two years ago. The others are faster, and made more progress.

And there are new entrants in the race. Today it is:
    Android
    iOS
    some Windows Phone

Hardware:
    Samsung
    Apple
    Lenovo
    Xiaomi
    Huawei

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 01:49 AM
    Our company has 30000 employees.

For BYOD, they support
    Android
    iOS

I'm the only one among all my colleagues who cannot sync Outlook calendar and email to my phone.

If there would be 1000 BlackBerry users here, they might would give a thought to support BlackBerry. But it would be stilly only 3% of users. If you are an IT department head, you have priorities, would you car about the 3%?
    And I doubt we could find 1000 users with bb...

Posted via CB10
    anon(9302980) likes this.
    02-01-15 01:56 AM
    Our company has 30000 employees.

For BYOD, they support
    Android
    iOS

I'm the only one among all my colleagues who cannot sync Outlook calendar and email to my phone.

If there would be 1000 BlackBerry users here, they might would give a thought to support BlackBerry. But it would be stilly only 3% of users. If you are an IT department head, you have priorities, would you car about the 3%?
    And I doubt we could find 1000 users with bb...

Posted via CB10
    But it's horses for courses, as I know of a corporate with over 8,000 handset users whose BYOD android phones are draining battery power at an unacceptable rate, thanks to the company's (third party) security package - that used to run quite happily on the company's previous BlackBerries.

And as the software has been tested OK on the BB10 range, the company is considering the Classic and Passport phones.
    Furthermore, I don't believe that Outlook and calendar syncing have been found to be issues with these models, otherwise they'd be a non-starter.
    eduzojordan likes this.
    02-01-15 02:25 AM
    Hmm...BB10 may have made some progress over the past two years but the "Tools, not toys" mantra definitely has not.
    Of course, BlackBerry and Business share the same first letter. And fortunately the myth-meme of BlackBerry's supposed demise isn't making any progress, either.

Toy Story or not, it's also a myth that any make of middle to upper range smart phone can perform as well as, or better than, any other type.

As I said earlier, it's horses for courses, imho, and also, it's been very tiring these past couple of years - watching the media dancing around what they wrongly perceived as BlackBerry's funeral pyre.
    02-01-15 02:42 AM
    1. I know the term snail. If you take time to read by yourself the link about iOS, you will learn that iOS took longer times to deliver updates. BB OS 10 has gone from 10.0.x to 10.3.x in almost two years. iOS usually takes a year to deliver a new version. So which one is snail?
    2. Show me where in my comment I said such thing.
    3. If OP ask if BB OS 10 has made significant progress, I must compare it with an OS competitor. Don't you think? A fanboy does not point to FACTS. Did I "defend" BB OS 10, or pointed progress without providing any fact?
    Actually to respond to the question raised by OP you don't have to compare anything to BB10. Furthermore, if you do then you should be considering BBOS as a previous version.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    02-01-15 02:45 AM
    While I will agree that BBRY/BB10 has come a far way since I got my Z10 2 years March and still love using it and with the flow of leaks makes it even better today than where started I have to also say that the other companies and O/S developments have made more advancements than BBRY has.
    My kids all use iOS as I do for my iPad & iTouch devices my girl Android and having seen the recent Windows phones yup, we have a way to go yet.
    - BBWorld - Still is a joke.
    - Developers can't be swayed to render new apps the way they do for Android & iOS.
    - BBM Groups was heralded in it has whimpered along
    - No new all touch device rendered to market
    and my list can go on.
    So I am happy but I expect and want more out of them.

Progress is good, it's not great and has a long way yet to go.
    02-01-15 04:59 AM
    Absolutely.

The Passport was in my opinion, the most innovative mobile device released in 2014, bar none.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-01-15 05:21 AM
    Definitely agree.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 05:31 AM
    If you are a real business user you will get the value of the Passport

Posted via CB10
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    02-01-15 05:32 AM
    Imho, from BlackBerry OS to BlackBerry 10, yup, agree, a huge improvement.

For email usage, as usual, very nice
    For app usage, can't even compare to other os, sorry, but it's true

I've hard times to accept the reality that BlackBerry will not have as much as app compare to other OS but now, I've already accept that, BlackBerry only for my email and phone call

I don't agree with tools but not toy
    And certainly not agree with if you really a business person, you should use BlackBerry silly statement sorry

Why? Just for example, many cooperation use these tools :
    1. Lync as a widely use tools, not even available in BlackBerry
    2. Salesforce, a very bad native app compare to other os

So?
    For work? Yes! Email and phone call
    For modern cloud working tools? No!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 05:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Living proof. Me. Said it to my wife today. Be thankful to God, it's such a blessing.

Laptop in the pocket... :-)

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    02-01-15 05:55 AM
    BB10 when it came out 2 Y ago was not completely finish product and together with Z10 when it came out was way to expensive (unlocked). Advertised as first BB with 4G /LTE and first with Skype, 10.0 came out without Skype and you need to side load it.
    (Writing about STL 100-1) since in many countries you were unable to buy anything else except STL 100-1. With 10.1 they fix the problem with side loading some of the apps since that time some of the software has been made for BB. With so many updates in last 2Y they only fixing issues that wasn't suppose to be there in first place. Not to speak about how BB10 users (Z10, Q5, Z30) waiting for official 10.3 way too long.....price tag for phones is expensive giving in consideration hardware (i don't oppose that installed hardware is more than sufficient to run BB OS ) but unlocked phones without contract have been expensive giving that they running on 1Y or 2Y old hardware (CPU etc.) Maybe only PP is bang for buck but since i don't own one i can't say..
    02-01-15 06:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    Define "real business user".
    02-01-15 07:45 AM
    Define "real business user".
    I was wondering about the definition too. Very subjective I will guess.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    02-01-15 08:00 AM
139 ... 23456