I've done a bit of searching, but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. Could someone please explain the backup process to me? When you use desktop manager to back up your blackberry device, EXACTLY what is being backed up? Does this include any 3rd party applications that you've installed? If not, what happens if your device gets wiped and you need to restore from your backup? Are any apps that you have paid for gone for good?
    07-17-08 12:20 PM
    I believe the backup process backs up settings and content such as contacts and calander. I am not sure about themes, messages, etc. I am pretty sure it doesn't back up 3rd party apps. I have generally downloaded 3rd party apps to my PC then installed via desktop manager, as opposed to downloaedin over the air. that way I will still have a copy on my PC if I need to restore them.
    07-17-08 01:07 PM
    07-17-08 01:13 PM
    Thank you for that link. It's a very useful guide. I do have one question though. If I didn't uncheck the "user data and settings" and "include messages" would this in effect back up EVERYTHING including my third party apps? Would this negate the need to run a regular backup through DM and then run another backup of only third party apps?
    07-17-08 04:39 PM
    No it wouldn't.
    07-17-08 04:53 PM
    Also, it's good to back up your device once a week or so.
    07-17-08 04:57 PM
    I do a regular backup of my BB once a day (1st thing in the AM); and once a week, when I do my regular Computer Maintenance (cleanup, defrag, etc.), I also back up the 3rd party programs.

It's worth noting that if you need to restore only some of your data (for example, due to low memory a bunch of your calendar items got zapped), you can do Advanced Restore and cherry-pick ONLY the application you need to be restored. Takes a lot less time than a full 100% restore.
    07-17-08 05:34 PM
    Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it.
    07-17-08 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD