Blackberry apparently has twice the malfunction rate of iphones.

Study: BlackBerry has twice failure rate of iPhone | Latest Wireless News - CNET News

I cant say I am surprised, I was never impressed with the older blackberries. I always thought they were very cheap in build quality. Definitely not as good as any number of my other smartphones. But I am sure that figure will come down with the release of the Bold. Bold is definitely a better build. Still not as good as my E71... but definitely a HUGE step up from the curve or 8800.
    11-11-08 06:11 AM
    At least we can fix 98% of our problems with a battery pull? Can the iPhone do that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-08 07:44 AM
    My BB has yet to fail me and this is my third. All 3 worked flawlessly. And berry me with it hit the nail on the head.....
    11-11-08 07:54 AM
    Lol, the figures came from the carriers themselves. How many Berry-addicts skew the numbers with "failures" around the time a new model comes out and no upgrade is in sight? Or the carrier gives you a new phone rather than pop in a clean trackball?

11-11-08 08:51 AM
    I am completely guilty of what bexx said. I had some issues I knew was carrier related so I told the rep it was a bad pearl and I made them give me a curve. Then I made them fix the issues on their end. Neither one had issues.

11-11-08 09:01 AM
    At least we can fix 98% of our problems with a battery pull? Can the iPhone do that?

I am no fan of the iphone but when I had it I never had any issues that I can think of. Had no need to do a ''battery pull''. Cant say the same for any of my bb's or their random restarts and dont get me started on waiting 3-5 damn minutes for them to start up. Blackberries have always been extremely cheap in build quality, anyone who denies that is dreaming and just hasn't held a decent build quality phone like higher end nokia's or htc's. We are talking about physical build quality, I dont want to see anyone rant for no reason about the BB os and user interface.
    11-11-08 09:17 AM
    Keep an eye on your memory, follow the guide for memory optimization and I'll bet your phone won't restart out of nowhere or you won't have to do a battery pull. All my BB's have been built well in my opion.
    11-11-08 09:42 AM

Beautiful! I was just thinking that I've had 2 BlackBerrys in the 3 years and Never had any problems. I guess that means the iphone is better than perfect. Lol

11-11-08 09:49 AM
    I thought the trackball was just a little jumpy or major sensitive I got mine used and it has warranty through my carrier but I just ordered a new trackball off eBay for spares cause I heard of them gettin stuck and now mine works so smooth and flawless so everyone go buy a wad of trackballs mine was 6.49 each free shipping I got two and gonna get somemore later but we need to get those numbers way down you know most of the issues are trackball related or failure to delete old texts and call log and too many apps running at once.
    11-11-08 09:50 AM
    Surely due to iphone being on the market for under 18 months vs. Blackberry for much longer. Look at all the early gen ipods that went wrong. Give it 5 years & the iphone may well be the worst

11-11-08 09:57 AM
    Problems and failure are 2 completely different things. In my 1.5 years as a BB
    user I am now on my 4th Curve. 1 trackball that decided not to go left (yes I know
    how to clean and replace) 1 that restarted constantly (with original carrier OS) and
    one whose keys went totally unresponsive.

And I do agree with the OP's assessment of the E71 being a better device
    than the Bold. Just my opinion and quite possibly my next phone.
    11-11-08 10:03 AM
    I am a former iPhone 3G user as well as having a Pearl before the iPhone and now a Curve.

I got rid of the iPhone because of the carrier and not because of the device. The iPhone barring all network-caused issues is a solid device. Never had a problem with it, i did a reset 1-2 times for the WHOLE 3 months i had it. I personally never had lag problems...and NEVER had to worry about memory optimization!

I had to say since i got my curve....i have pulled my batt at least 1x a day. Checked file free, uninstalled things thru mem. optimization...it does take some fun out of using the phone, lol u have to admit it.

Irregardless i love both devices.
    11-11-08 10:15 AM

LOL, my thoughts exactly.
    11-11-08 10:24 AM
    Excellent points ShortStop, especially about the battery pulls,
    the need to optimize and constantly monitor memory.
    11-11-08 10:25 AM
    Operator Error!!!
    11-11-08 10:28 AM
    but you just hear more about the mess ups than the non mess ups. peoples BB's who are fine and work well have no need to post or complain. it makes it seem as though every BB out there is doomed to mess up.
    This would make sense ONLY if the survey were pulling it's data from the various
    forums, which they certainly are not. They are using reporting directly from the
    manufacturers.
    11-11-08 10:30 AM
    Operator Error!!!
    One more time: DEVICE FAILURE (failure of device to function) is not
    attributable to operator error or any of the other excuses anyone wishes to
    make regarding the build quality of the BB, IPhone or anything else for that
    matter. Except I guess to totally "dialed in" fanboys.
    11-11-08 10:35 AM

Good one. Battery pulls are awesome. I love waiting 3 minutes for my phone to restart. Come on. The iPhone is a great phone and definitely has a better build quality than most berries.

11-12-08 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD