Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    PIN
    333bf4e4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry 9930 on other carriers

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I cant seem to find anything recent.

If I have my Verizon Blackberry Bold 9930 unlocked, can i use it with Pageplus or Reachout Wireless? Has anyone done this recently?
    I dont use a whole lot of minutes or data so i'm looking for a less expensive route than Verizon. Suggestions?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Once unlocked you can use it on any GSM carrier. I'm currently using a 9930 on AT&T.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,981 Global Posts

"Unlocking" only applies to the GSM side of the device. It doesn't apply to the CDMA side of the device which is what Verizon and PagePlus use. I have no idea about Reachout Wireless.

PagePlus typically will allow Verizon devices on their network. Again, no idea about Reachout.

Note that you will not be able to use data on a BlackBerry on either of those. Phone and text only.

Quote Originally Posted by porlo View Post
    Once unlocked you can use it on any GSM carrier. I'm currently using a 9930 on AT&T.

GSM carrier on EDGE only. If I remember correctly, the 9930 lacks the North American GSM 3G bands.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,338 Global Posts
    PIN
    Zebra Ballpoint

I think the given carrier has to support BlackBerry provisioning for a connection to BIS no?

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry Guy View Post
    GSM carrier on EDGE only. If I remember correctly, the 9930 lacks the North American GSM 3G bands.
    True for AT&T. I believe 9930 does support T-Mobile 3G bands but I haven't tested it.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,416 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porlo View Post
    True for AT&T. I believe 9930 does support T-Mobile 3G bands but I haven't tested it.

No, it doesn't.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts

Default Unlocked Blackberry Bold 9930 from Verizon

You can use your unlocked Blackberry Bold 9930 with GSM carrier by using a GSM sim card with your unlocked device.

To edit the CDMA phone number on your unlocked Verizon branded Blackberry 9930:
    Dial ##000000 and change the phone number to the one that your sim card is programed with.

You should also change the CDMA to GSM (mobile network)...
    To update the service books go to the "Host routing table" under advanced device options and select "Register now".
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,981 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackberry-unlocking710 View Post
    You should also change the CDMA to GSM (mobile network)...
    Wrong for PagePlus which is a CDMA network.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackberry-unlocking710 View Post
    To update the service books go to the "Host routing table" under advanced device options and select "Register now".
    This won't produce any effect on a carrier that doesn't support BIS.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    PIN
    333bf4e4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

OOOOH, ok.

So I could "unlock" it and use it with a prepaid GSM carrier then? Like Virgin Mobile or something? (Only for text and voice tho) I was under the wrong impression that CDMA had to be with CDMA.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzydukes View Post
    OOOOH, ok.

So I could "unlock" it and use it with a prepaid GSM carrier then? Like Virgin Mobile or something? (Only for text and voice tho) I was under the wrong impression that CDMA had to be with CDMA.
    It's only because the 9930, like the 9630 and 8830 before it are "world phones". They support CDMA here in North America and GSM bands that are frequently found overseas. Not all CDMA devices have this ability.
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    30,570 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dezzydukes View Post
    OOOOH, ok.

Virgin Mobile USA is CDMA and is a subsidiary of Sprint. They won't let you use a VZW device.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default page plus blackberry bold 9930

hi, i am currently using a verizon bold 9930 on page plus i have my mms working just fine, any way to use the browser or gmail/gtalk?
    CrackBerry Newbie

what did you do to get the MMS and Data working? I have a few older service books and one PagPlus_Combo_24SB.ipd....would that work? Or is there something else I have to do?