Hey,

I've recently tried to return my phone to a CeX store. (Cell Phone Exchange).

However when trying they told me before returning the handset I would have too Unregister it. I'm not to sure what they mean by this.Could anyone please give me some words and advice how to go on about this.

My phone is and was brought unlocked. Any help is much appreciated.

Thankyou
    05-13-11 12:02 PM
    you need to call your carrier, and have the device removed from your BIS account, so that the next user will be able to activate it without any trouble...
    05-13-11 03:02 PM
    TOO many people neglect to do this before they get rid of an old BB, I'm glad CeX was smart enough to insist you do it!
    05-13-11 03:15 PM
    TOO many people neglect to do this before they get rid of an old BB, I'm glad CeX was smart enough to insist you do it!
    +1. Indeed... Good on them. I'd hate to buy a device that I'd have to jump through hoops to activate... I'd also hate to give someone else (possible) access to my information...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 03:20 PM
    once GSM blackberrys have the SIM card removed, i think it automatically disassociates the device PIN from the account. ive sold numerous GSM blackberrys and have never once needed to call my carrier or log into BIS to do this. all you need to do is remove the SIM and wipe the device.

likewise, once a SIM card is inserted into a GSM handset, it will automatically register on the BIS account for that person. this has ALWAYS been the case for me and the many phones if swapped on my BIS account.

the only people that should need to call to verify the PIN has been disassociated from a BIS account are CDMA phone users.
    05-14-11 12:52 AM
    This sounds good, in theory.

The only doubt I have is lest say a GSM blackberry user decides (foolihsly) to switch to an android phone... He will take his sim card out of the BB, and put it in the androis phone. It will work right off the bat, and he moves on with his life... Since his siim card was not put into another bb, then BIS won't detect the device switch. Since he did not call his carrier to remove the pin, he is still on a bis data plan (will work with other smartphone platforms), and his old bb's bin is registered to the account...

For the poor person who bougfht that old bb, they might run into some compication...

Imo

05-14-11 08:41 AM
    This sounds good, in theory.

The only doubt I have is lest say a GSM blackberry user decides (foolihsly) to switch to an android phone... He will take his sim card out of the BB, and put it in the androis phone. It will work right off the bat, and he moves on with his life... Since his siim card was not put into another bb, then BIS won't detect the device switch. Since he did not call his carrier to remove the pin, he is still on a bis data plan (will work with other smartphone platforms), and his old bb's bin is registered to the account...

For the poor person who bougfht that old bb, they might run into some compication...

Imo

im nearly 100% sure the minute the SIM is removed from the phone, the PIN drops off the BIS account. if not, once a new SIM is inserted, the phone reregisters with that account.
    05-14-11 03:53 PM
    yup, I sold a 9000 a long time ago - no probs, and a 9800 a week ago also with no problems.

did nothing other than remove sim, wipe and sell.
    05-14-11 10:41 PM
    yup, I sold a 9000 a long time ago - no probs, and a 9800 a week ago also with no problems.

did nothing other than remove sim, wipe and sell.
    same for every phone ive ever swapped on my account or sold.

just plop the SIM in and when booted up, it will automatically register on my BIS account. as stated, since CDMA phones dont have a SIM, you need to call to release it or log into BIS and remove it manually.
    05-14-11 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD