This post is mainly a question to do with running applications via wifi on a blackberry, with no data plan provisioned.

I am running a 9780 no data plan on the account. As of about 5 minutes ago I had signed on to an open wifi network and proceeded to download several apps including Google Voice and Liveprofile.

I was expecting neither of these apps to actually function and assumed I would just receive the standard 'you are not connected to the mobile network' error message which I have received many times previous when attempting to do this.

Astonishingly enough it actually worked. With both apps I was able to fully log in and utilize, update status etc with no complications. So I guess I got brave and thought to download the blackberry app world app itself to make the process of downloading much more simple then searching for direct links.

Well the app booted into the main menu just fine. Then it prompted the device with a required update. This part was the gamble. I figured that by taking this update, whatever access I was receiving would be lost. Which is exactly what happened. The phone reset and now, long and behold, I have my wonderful error message back.

I'm hoping that the users of the forum may be able to elaborate on this. I know from owning blackberry devices in the past, such a thing was always said to be not possible. Yet I can concur that this process was working for me UP UNTIL I took this 'update'. If I had 'denied' said update, I'm assuming the functionality would have continued, and I would simply have to live without 'app world'

If anyone has workarounds, ideas, information or procedures to roll back. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

*Additional

- Now this really makes no sense. I just fully refreshed my wifi connection and now I have my access back. I'm able to access both G-Voice and LP. I'm hoping it stays this way. But if anyone can provide more details on this situation I'd love to hear the feedback.

*Re-edit

- Just thought to re-edit with some further clarification. Some apps (mainly IM's) boot with error. As I have confirmed from playing with this over the past hour. Although never have I experienced App World nor the programs I mentioned previous actually function. Yet they are all still in working order. Thank you all again.
    Last edited by soundofsilence; 03-27-12 at 09:42 PM.
    03-27-12 07:19 PM
    In response to Phil UK

If you learn to READ the post. You can see that clarification as to WHY this would be happening was asked for.

If you read further you'll notice THIS IN ITSELF IS STILL ONGOING

I don't know where THEFT comes into any of this CONSIDERING this was ongoing from the minute I had initiated a WIFI connection and as stated I've never seen this occur before in the past.

So as for your smart remark and your arrogance you can do with that 'certain things' that I can not post on this board under possible threat of account closure.

The incompetence of your reply was unnecessary and not asked for. Learn to possibly answer questions before asking them.

*In addition. Perhaps you failed to notice. The error, as mentioned does occur in certain circumstances. I can only surmise that this would also be the case for other users if it is evident in my situation. Hence another reason for such a post. However I thank you for your comical lack of intelligence.

And how can I forget. I can't STEAL my own WIFI when I'm paying for it.
    Last edited by soundofsilence; 03-27-12 at 11:48 PM.
    03-27-12 11:12 PM
    @soundofsilence
    Take it easy. Your user name does not reflect your post content.

AppWorld has been able to work via WiFi since December of late last year.
    WiFi Only Support - will allow App World to still operate when a you only have a WiFi connection
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-app...-now-available

LiveProfile also has the ability to work via WiFi.
    It's 100% free and utilizes your existing data plan or WiFi.
    LiveProfile - Stay Connected

GoogleVoice sends your calls to a forwarding number, and uses your plan minutes... No data involved with that... You are using your carrier for the call.
    Domestic calls will use the standard minutes from your cell phone plan.

Each time you place a call, instead of dialing the number you want to reach, Google Voice dials a US-based direct access number. The Google Voice server then forwards your call to the actual destination number. This allows for faster call setup and the ability to place calls without a data connection. These direct access numbers may show in your phone's call log, or on your phone bill.

A unique direct access phone number is assigned to each person that you call. The direct access numbers are stored in the Google Voice application, not in your Contacts. They can be purged from your phone at any time by signing out of the Google Voice app.

Note: Direct access numbers are assigned randomly, and may include numbers that are out of your local calling area, or even out of state. If you don't have a nationwide calling plan, you may be charged long distance rates by your carrier.
    Google Voice and your cell phone bill - Google Mobile Help

However, in order to utilize the SMS function, you must have a data plan.
    SMS messages will be sent through your data plan, as opposed to your SMS plan, so there won't be any SMS charges. Replies will come to your mobile phone directly if you have it listed as one of your fowarding phones. Depending on your carrier, you may be charged for your received SMS messages.
    Sending SMS messages - Google Mobile Help

There is no need to start a new thread for this.
    Google is your friend. A simple Google search provided the answers in 5 minutes.

I hope this helps answer your questions.
    03-28-12 03:07 AM
    Excellent. Thank you very much for the explanation. That answered all my questions and very well at that I did try to search google originally. I searched "app world no data plan 2012 wifi" "wifi no data plan blackberry" but all I could find mainly was old posts and links from as far back as 08, and questions about hacking service books so on and so forth.

I was thinking that these apps were exceptioned to work and that looks to be the case. I just recently returned to Blackberry after a year and a half hiatus on an Iphone. So I was quite surprised to see App World work in such manner.

But this was a great reply and gave everything I was hoping for. Thank you very much. Any mods can feel free to delete the post if required. Thanks again MADBRADNYC!
    03-28-12 10:31 AM
    Excellent. Thank you very much for the explanation. That answered all my questions and very well at that I did try to search google originally. I searched "app world no data plan 2012 wifi" "wifi no data plan blackberry" but all I could find mainly was old posts and links from as far back as 08, and questions about hacking service books so on and so forth.

I was thinking that these apps were exceptioned to work and that looks to be the case. I just recently returned to Blackberry after a year and a half hiatus on an Iphone. So I was quite surprised to see App World work in such manner.

But this was a great reply and gave everything I was hoping for. Thank you very much. Any mods can feel free to delete the post if required. Thanks again MADBRADNYC!
    I'm very glad that you received the answers you were looking for and things are working properly for you!

Welcome back to the wonderful world of BlackBerry devices!
    It can be a bit of a task to get back into the flow of things after being on an iPhone for that long.
    Many things have changed, but we are here to help when we can.

No need to delete the thread since someone else can conduct a search for the same questions.

Enjoy your device!
    03-28-12 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD