Hi all,

This past year, my 9700 was stolen, smashed and recovered. It has been sitting in a drawer these past few months, and recently I have been toying with the idea of repairing.

On the outside, the screen is a mess, the keyboard is dead and the trackball is in numerous peices.

I went and bought myself a set of torx screwdrivers and decided to take it apart to assess the damage on the inside.

Upon opening it, I can see that at least one, possibly two keyboard LED's are shot, and the main board has a very, very slight bend to it. Other than that, everything looks pretty good. I know with the bend, it is impossible to know whether this will be a deal breaker until I replace the broken parts and fire it up, but does anybody if the change in voltage the dead LED will cause the phone to not work? If so, I can stop right here and turf the whole project.

If anybody knows, that would be great! I really want this phone back, my heart sank when they leaked OS6 for this phone!

C
    11-23-10 12:47 PM
    Nobody?

Alright, well I guess I'll order up the parts, see what happens and report back!

Wish me luck!
    11-25-10 08:24 AM
    wish i could help you with the repair..when you said it has a slight bend on the board,you mean it is crack already?..goodluck with your project though..i hope it doesn't cost you too much..otherwise buy another 9700..maybe it is cheaper now..
    11-26-10 07:20 AM
    Hi all,

This past year, my 9700 was stolen, smashed and recovered. It has been sitting in a drawer these past few months, and recently I have been toying with the idea of repairing.

On the outside, the screen is a mess, the keyboard is dead and the trackball is in numerous peices.

I went and bought myself a set of torx screwdrivers and decided to take it apart to assess the damage on the inside.

Upon opening it, I can see that at least one, possibly two keyboard LED's are shot, and the main board has a very, very slight bend to it. Other than that, everything looks pretty good. I know with the bend, it is impossible to know whether this will be a deal breaker until I replace the broken parts and fire it up, but does anybody if the change in voltage the dead LED will cause the phone to not work? If so, I can stop right here and turf the whole project.

If anybody knows, that would be great! I really want this phone back, my heart sank when they leaked OS6 for this phone!

C
    This sounds like a lot of work. The board bend is never a good sign that it can be revived, normally that would mean just tossing it.

Why don't you buy a refurbished 9700 or...... Even better wait for the new 9780 to come out and get one much faster I hear.
    11-26-10 08:15 AM
    Thanks for the responses.

Lurking around ebay, I am having a new screen, keyboard and trackpad shipped for about 80 bucks. If the phone still doesn't work, I can flip the parts I'm sure and make some of that back.

I know it's a bit of a long shot. A new or even refurbished phone is out of the question right now due to my being in school

I will definately report back!
    11-26-10 09:45 AM
    Thanks for the responses.

Lurking around ebay, I am having a new screen, keyboard and trackpad shipped for about 80 bucks. If the phone still doesn't work, I can flip the parts I'm sure and make some of that back.

I know it's a bit of a long shot. A new or even refurbished phone is out of the question right now due to my being in school

I will definately report back!
    Ok, I hope it come back to life again Good luck with your project.
    11-26-10 10:44 AM
    wish i could help you with the repair..when you said it has a slight bend on the board,you mean it is crack already?..goodluck with your project though..i hope it doesn't cost you too much..otherwise buy another 9700..maybe it is cheaper now..

Not cracked. There is no sign of damage to the board other than a very slight bend that I tried to photograph but you couldn't see it.

I'm no hardware expert, which is why I'm not sure about this.

But we'll soon find out!
    11-27-10 12:47 PM
    My Blackberry is smashed as well, and i was wondering if you had any progress with yours
    02-12-11 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD