Since the blackberry lineup is approaching the 10000 model number, it seems all too much like a perfect opportunity for RIM to reinvent themselves using QNX.

What kind of QNX-powered Blackberry lineup would there be (and how would you name them) if you were in charge?

I was thinking:

-Bold 2 (bold touch 2)
    -Torch 2 (slider with touchscreen of course)
    -Curve 2 (I know, sounds old since we have the 3G but it would be nice to have consistency)
    -Style 2 (its actually a good phone)
    -Touch 2 (the monaco/monza w/e)

I think the numbers are a great idea as people love numbers (works for apple)
    06-14-11 06:54 PM
    No. I disagree. I believe it would cause further consumer confusion, due to apple already being on the iphone 5 by the time the BOLD/curve/touch/torch2 would come out. Making them sound inferior even though they most likely would be spec wise.

The numbers are actually more for Geeks to differentiate, as most don't know the difference between models and I like the number modeling system.

The Bold is just known as the bold, anything else is the old bold. Besides, Rim makes so many phones it would be awkward.

What would they call the CDMA Bold that comes out 5 months later than the GSM bold but might have different or even higher specs, what would they then call the next bold that comes out for GSM LTE.

apple has the luxury of having continuity and as of now they have released a phone for verizon and will for sprint, but RIM has been doing this for a while. Not to mention, they refresh their phones a lot.
    06-14-11 07:17 PM
    well obviously when it hits 10k everything will go bonkers and fry just like y2k!
    06-14-11 07:28 PM
    chiefbroski likes this.
    06-14-11 07:43 PM
    It wouldn't surprise me if QNX models became Qxxx models. That would make it easy to differentiate between the BBOS and QNX devices.
    06-14-11 07:56 PM
    Xopher - I already want a Q9000.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 09:06 PM
    Well staying on topic, with what I would prepare and name as leader of these future QNX products:
    (Feature Phones)
    Curve=Curve 4G: The low end phone, for BB starters.
    Style=Style 2: Bringing back the classics, with a torch screen.
    (Smart Phones)
    Bold=Bold Touch: The higher end phone, and alternetive to the Curve.
    Torch=Torch S: For those prefering the touch screen, but still need a keyboard.
    "New Phone, With A Full Right-Slide Out Quarty Keyboard"=Messenger: A touch screen phone, with a much larger keyboard.
    (Flagship Phones)
    "New Phone, With Dual Touch Screens"= A dual core processor, with a better optimised UI for 2 screens.
    Touch=Eclipse: Full touch screen, with geater hardware/functionality to the "Bridge" feature.
    Man, that's pretty long fantisy typing.

06-14-11 09:15 PM
    and theyll probably name the devices like

Q8000 or Q1000. otherwise, 10K 10k20 would be a tad awkward. just my 2 cents
    06-15-11 02:31 AM
    I agree with tkwolf, they will probably put a Qxxxx before all QNX devices. I couldn't see them branding a new QNX Bold the BB Bold 10020.
    06-15-11 08:25 AM
    I never thought about doing Qxxxx, but I like it.

Q1000 - Curve line
    Q2000 - Bold line
    Q3000 - Torch line
    Q4000 - Touch line
    Q5000 - Everything else

So, the first Curve would be the Curve Q1100, the 2nd Curve would be the Q1200 and so on. This will allow for 9 generations of each line before running out of numbers. And also, say the Cuve Q1100 is GSM, the Curve Q1110 would be CDMA. Then, if they only do a refresh and not a true successor, they can still do what they do now and just change the tenth digit (ie. Curve Q1150).

They could do this with every line they have and at least then they would have some sort of method to their numbering. Right now they only have a method to the last 2 digits and even that isn't an exact science. The numbers are way to confusing for non-crackberry users.
    06-15-11 10:08 AM
    No. I disagree. I believe it would cause further consumer confusion, due to apple already being on the iphone 5 by the time the BOLD/curve/touch/torch2 would come out. Making them sound inferior even though they most likely would be spec wise.

The numbers are actually more for Geeks to differentiate, as most don't know the difference between models and I like the number modeling system.

The Bold is just known as the bold, anything else is the old bold. Besides, Rim makes so many phones it would be awkward.

What would they call the CDMA Bold that comes out 5 months later than the GSM bold but might have different or even higher specs, what would they then call the next bold that comes out for GSM LTE.

apple has the luxury of having continuity and as of now they have released a phone for verizon and will for sprint, but RIM has been doing this for a while. Not to mention, they refresh their phones a lot.
    I agree with a lot of what @crackcookie said and I like the numbers. When I'm talking to people who are familiar with Blackberry, I often refer to my phone by the number.
    06-15-11 12:06 PM
    But if this is a game to see how creative RIM can and should be then I prolly want their phone line to be named after things with wings. Naming their phone the chicken, butterfly, Pigeon, or hawk would be more creative than what they have been.

When I walk in a store I usually ask for a phone as “that one” because I just need a phone and T-Mobile only has two I like. Would have been nice to have able test my phone for a month or two before getting stuff with it.
    06-15-11 12:35 PM

Q1000 - Curve line
    Q2000 - Bold line
    Q3000 - Torch line
    Q4000 - Touch line
    Q5000 - Everything else

So, the first Curve would be the Curve Q1100, the 2nd Curve would be the Q1200 and so on. This will allow for 9 generations of each line before running out of numbers. And also, say the Cuve Q1100 is GSM, the Curve Q1110 would be CDMA. Then, if they only do a refresh and not a true successor, they can still do what they do now and just change the tenth digit (ie. Curve Q1150).

They could do this with every line they have and at least then they would have some sort of method to their numbering. Right now they only have a method to the last 2 digits and even that isn't an exact science. The numbers are way to confusing for non-crackberry users.
    THIS

It will make it a lot less confusing down the line. Q1xxx will alwasys be Curve Devices and so on. LG did something very similar back in the day.
    06-15-11 02:53 PM
    I think not.. I wouldn't sound right.

06-15-11 10:50 PM

Q1000 - Curve line
    Q2000 - Bold line
    Q3000 - Torch line
    Q4000 - Touch line
    Q5000 - Everything else
    I like the complex model number. It makes it sound more intimidating to say that i have a curve 8330 and that they have a 9300. If there all around the same number i don't sound as smart
    06-15-11 11:01 PM
    (Feature Phones)
    Curve=Curve 4G: The low end phone, for BB starters.
    Style=Style 2: Bringing back the classics, with a torch screen.
    You really gotta be kidding if you think that any BlackBerry could be considered a feature phone...

Q1000 - Curve line
    Q2000 - Bold line
    Q3000 - Torch line
    Q4000 - Touch line
    Q5000 - Everything else

I'm with you, this would bring the lost numbering system back into the game. You could tell what a device was/could do just by it's numbers. (83, Curve. 00- 1st gen, 10-gps, 20-wifi, 30-cdma, so on).
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-16-11 at 09:39 AM.
    06-15-11 11:05 PM
    I like the complex model number. It makes it sound more intimidating to say that i have a curve 8330 and that they have a 9300. If there all around the same number i don't sound as smart
    Yeah,i think so.The idea is great.
    06-15-11 11:12 PM
    You really gotta be kidding if you thing that any BlackBerry could be considered a feature phone...
    Well technically smart phones had to do with instent messeging and what not. Although what do we call future phones that do way more then that? I mean now adays, standard BB can do just as good as a feature phone... Its alittle sad.
    I sell from 4 of the major U.S. Cellular carriers, and I have to admit, I mainly recommened BB for people with BB or business (which aint often). The Torch is some what equal to the: LG Optimus, Motorola Citrus, ect... (and that's the flagship phone so far). I mean... Most BB are cost less then most feature phones at my store.

Last edited by Venichie; 06-16-11 at 02:23 AM.
    06-16-11 01:46 AM
    I'll still be rocking my 9700, or 9780 if it never works again, until this device surfaces.

06-16-11 02:01 AM
    Well technically smart phones had to do with instent messeging and what not. Although what do we call future phones that do way more then that? I mean now adays, standard BB can do just as good as a feature phone... Its alittle sad.
    I sell from 4 of the major U.S. Cellular carriers, and I have to admit, I mainly recommened BB for people with BB or business (which aint often). The Torch is some what equal to the: LG Optimus, Motorola Citrus, ect... (and that's the flagship phone so far). I mean... Most BB are cost less then most feature phones at my store.
    Then why is it I have friends with Nokia and WM smartphones phones, released after my late 8520, that were always so dazzled about what I could do on my BlackBerries?

Feature phones today can do a lot, I'll give you that. BlackBerries can do far more (in right hands at least). Maybe just not as shiny as other platforms do it...
    06-16-11 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD