The announcement on various news sources now report that Android 4.3 will have TRIM Support baked into its OS. Being an early adopter and long time user of SSDs in the PC world, I have often wondered about this with smartphones. It sounds like BB10 has the ability to support TRIM, but is it baked into the OS like it is being reported for Android 4.3?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 04:09 AM
    The announcement on various news sources now report that Android 4.3 will have TRIM Support baked into its OS. Being an early adopter and long time user of SSDs in the PC world, I have often wondered about this with smartphones. It sounds like BB10 has the ability to support TRIM, but is it baked into the OS like it is being reported for Android 4.3?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure if it is or will be, if it was part of the QNX kernel to start with then it's not a huge stretch to think it might happen. Speaking for myself, I don't think there's been a week gone by that I haven't installed a leaked OS and did a security wipe in the process - TRIM command totally unnecessary.
    07-30-13 04:36 AM
    I'm not sure if it is or will be, if it was part of the QNX kernel to start with then it's not a huge stretch to think it might happen. Speaking for myself, I don't think there's been a week gone by that I haven't installed a leaked OS and did a security wipe in the process - TRIM command totally unnecessary.
    I agree. Doing a weekly security wipe negates the need for TRIM, however the average consumer isn't wiping his/her phone on a weekly basis.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 04:42 AM
    Anyone have any information on this?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 09:38 PM
    I cant see that BlackBerry would ever use Trim anyways, as when you use it on encrypted drives it shows which bits hold data and which don't, which could be a security issue?
    07-30-13 11:09 PM
    I cant see that BlackBerry would ever use Trim anyways, as when you use it on encrypted drives it shows which bits hold data and which don't, which could be a security issue?
    I don't know if I agree with that. Most aftermarket SSDs are encrypted, yet have Garbage Collection built into the firmware and support TRIM provided that the OS has it available and enabled.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 11:52 PM
    I don't know if I agree with that. Most aftermarket SSDs are encrypted, yet have Garbage Collection built into the firmware and support TRIM provided that the OS has it available and enabled.

Posted via CB10
    sadly theres no agree or disagree, its a matter of fact (although I may well be explaining it unclearly). I`ll quote it from Wikipedia as its the most laymans explanation, but there are many papers written on it in blog posts by security staffers.
    When software-based disk encryption is in use, using the TRIM command reveals information about which blocks are in use and which are not
    Also I must be honest im not sure quite how much of a need there is for trim now with GC being quite effective. of course im speaking from a desktop environment so mobile may well be different, but its long been questioned how much trim is needed now GC is decent on the newer SSD`s. Also you`d need the SSD software to support trim. again in mobile iv no idea if that's a standard yet like it is in desktop.
    07-31-13 12:09 AM
    Found this, looks relevant to discussion, though I'm not clear on Clewley's response, basically, it's not needed because QNX is so uber?

BlackBerry 10 & TRIM Support?-trim.png
    07-31-13 09:55 AM
    Found this, looks relevant to discussion, though I'm not clear on Clewley's response, basically, it's not needed because QNX is so uber?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trim.PNG 
Views:	264 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	187790
    So let me understand this. Michael Clewley, Director of Handheld Software Product Management, doesn't even know what TRIM is? That is pathetic.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 11:48 AM
    Found this (search for "trim" in the text):

fs-qnx6.so - BlackBerry Native

Guess it's supported on BB10, at least.
    12-19-13 09:02 PM