So I would like to know if I should buy a BlackBerry 10 phone, or not will BlackBerry 10 be around for let's say 2 more years? Also will. BlackBerry still make handsets?? Thanx

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 10:02 AM
    I am a huge BB10 fan, and plan to use my BB10 phone for the next two years, BUT I would not recommend that someone switch to BB10 unless they understand both the strengths and limitations of the platform.

Don't expect any new phones or significant updates of apps. If either happen, it's a bonus. Don't expect integration with the Google Play Store. You can reasonably expect that the core OS will be supported through 2017.

The main reason to get a BB10 phone is simple: because it supports your personal work flow better than the alternatives. That's why I'm hanging on to mine.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 10:15 AM
    The way things are looking there will be be no more BlackBerry. I just bought a couple z30 to last me till at least next year. So it's up to you I will stay till the wheels basically fall off. Or the phone no longer functions. I really wished BlackBerry would keep producing. But they keep making huge mistakes which cause consumers to fear a dead products and keep the from buying. The biggest mistake was putting them selves up for sale. That put the fear in everyone and people stop buying phones.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and crackberry_geek like this.
    01-21-16 10:17 AM
    I am a huge BB10 fan, and plan to use my BB10 phone for the next two years, BUT I would not recommend that someone switch to BB10 unless they understand both the strengths and limitations of the platform.

Don't expect any new phones or significant updates of apps. If either happen, it's a bonus. Don't expect integration with the Google Play Store. You can reasonably expect that the core OS will be supported through 2017.

The main reason to get a BB10 phone is simple: because it supports your personal work flow better than the alternatives. That's why I'm hanging on to mine.

Posted via CB10
    Well said and honest answer.
    01-21-16 10:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    I like your response but could you elaborate a little more. What does BlackBerry - Android need to offer to retain your business ? Do any other platforms offer what you need?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 12:13 PM
    I used android devices but keep using BlackBerry 10(BlackBerry Z10) as my daily driver because of how efficiently I can manage the email. The hub is beyond great and the whole OS keeps flowing even better than 3 years ago, also the virtual keyboard is a plus.

Posted via CB10
    danifulger likes this.
    01-21-16 01:10 PM
    I've been wanting and waiting for the price of the Passport Silver Edition to be influence by the Priv release and the price to drop (as many BlackBerry devices might) .
    But it's been fluctuating, it's a great device. But being what could be the last of the BlackBerry10 Flagships, is keeping the price up. If the price stays inflated, and there's a time clock on BB10 support , I'll have to trust that the present functionality of the OS and app selection will take me into 2018-2019 (because updates may be few). I've had my Z10 for three years and spent around mid $300 range, at a mid $400 price point, I'd be okay with 4 good years out of the BBPSE. That's how you could think of it, if you decide to go BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 01:44 PM
    I like your response but could you elaborate a little more. What does BlackBerry - Android need to offer to retain your business ? Do any other platforms offer what you need?
    I'll try to answer this as honestly as I can.

I recognize that much of the world has gone crazy for iOS and Android phones. But neither of those OSes are a good fit for my business. They are both basically a bare-bones mobile OS designed around a consumerist model, based on generating as many transactions as possible. App purchases, media purchases, point-of-sale payments, etc. They are designed to distract/entertain their owners with endless "choices" of things to do.

However, when it comes down to getting real work done -- coding, writing, reading, researching, thinking deeply about a problem, etc. -- they fall far short of either pencil and paper or a personal computer. What that means is that, the less time users spend on their mobile phone, the more productive they are. The real benefit of a mobile phone is to 1) communicate effectively to maintain momentum on projects and 2) keep information at your fingertips when a computer is not available.

The core functions of a smartphone for work in my business are
    - email
    - phone
    - messaging
    - internet browsing
    - contact management
    - calendar management
    - file management
    - task management

Other useful functions are maps/directions, weather, etc. But all of the other functions are non-core and can be accomplished via a number of apps or web sites.

Neither Android or iOS have done as good a job as BB10 at building a single platform for the core functions that keep my team productive, and I don't think it's likely that they will any time soon, because it would be contrary to their business model

I am hopeful that perhaps Blackberry could improve the Android experience, but I am skeptical that they still have the thought leaders and designers to bring the traditional "Blackberry Mojo" to Android. And, even if they do, I am skeptical that Android will support the kind of stripped down, integrated environment I'm talking about. After all, Google wants you to grab apps and media from the Play Store as often as possible!

Fans of Apple and Android will tell you that third-party developers make those devices infinitely configurable, but to me that's the same as saying that a Porsche 911 would provide a better driving experience if separate development teams designed all the components and driving controls separately without collaborating. There are limits to the quality of integration that is possible in an ecosystem based on third party developers. It's good business, but it's not good practice for building a productive work tool.
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 01-21-16 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Quote added.
    01-21-16 02:04 PM
    - email
    - phone
    - messaging
    - internet browsing
    - contact management
    - calendar management
    - file management
    - task management
    I can tell you, as a 10 year BlackBerry power user and owner of 5 BB10 devices, the Priv can do every one of these things as well or better. The only possible exception is email - but it has both plusses and minuses in that regard. My two cents.

Then, when you add the whole app layer, there is obviously no comparison.

I might add that I was shocked to discover this.

To the OP, if you are happy with what a BB10 phone can do for you today then go for it. Don't expect any major updates, but DO expect app availability to decrease.
    Last edited by conite; 01-21-16 at 02:38 PM.
    01-21-16 02:25 PM
    K that's fine if there isn't going to be any app updates, then I'm cool with that thanx

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 02:53 PM
    K that's fine if there isn't going to be any app updates, then I'm cool with that thanx

Posted via CB10
    If a Passport is in your budget, it is by far the best BB10 experience there is. Coming from a Z30, I had to force myself into the form factor, but it was well worth it. It is a beast.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    01-21-16 02:58 PM
    The BB10 Os is not going to die. I am getting a new BB10 Passport SE in two months from now.

  
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    01-21-16 04:27 PM
    I can tell you, as a 10 year BlackBerry power user and owner of 5 BB10 devices, the Priv can do every one of these things as well or better. The only possible exception is email - but it has both plusses and minuses in that regard. My two cents.

To the OP, if you are happy with what a BB10 phone can do for you today then go for it. Don't expect any major updates, but DO expect app availability to decrease.
    I also can do all tasks as well or better on my Samsung as I could do on the Z. The actual device is much better as well. Of course I do not need a PKB.

I always wonder when a leader of the team or family makes these decisions for the whole group. It is ideal for the team to be on the same platform but I have doubts that BB10 is more productive than Android . It is quite possible that Microsoft phone computer combo might be more productive.

Each to their own but I have high hopes that the Vienna makes a dent in the business phones market .
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-21-16 04:38 PM
    I also can do all tasks as well or better on my Samsung as I could do on the Z. The actual device is much better as well. Of course I do not need a PKB.

I always wonder when a leader of the team or family makes these decisions for the whole group. It is ideal for the team to be on the same platform but I have doubts that BB10 is more productive than Android . It is quite possible that Microsoft phone computer combo might be more productive.

Each to their own but I have high hopes that the Vienna makes a dent in the business phones market .
    Our leadership team decides in partnership with our employees what equipment to buy to meet our requirements. We pay for employees' phones and unlimited data plans. If they want to go out and buy personal phones and plans with their own money, they can do that. We discuss each year as a team how our tools are supporting our work. It's far from a dictatorship. We keep a variety of iPhone, iPads, and various Android devices around for testing and research as well.

Employees can connect personal devices to our O365 Exchange and Sharepoint servers so long as they sign a policy document accepting responsibility for data security. That policy would prohibit the use of personal apps that have access to company data.

Data security has never really been a problem for us, but our contracts require it, and we take it very seriously. We're not big enough to have an IT security professional on staff, so we rely on smart employees and conservative, clearly written policies provided by a security consultant. Exposing client data to an unauthorized third party on a personal phone or computer in violation of our policy would be grounds for summary termination.

I agree 100% that a phone/computer running Windows 10 Pro would be a very compelling replacement for BB10. No one is asking for any apps they don't already have on BB10, so I don't see any advantage to switching to Android or iPhone at this time.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende and anon(4021844) like this.
    01-21-16 05:29 PM
    They are both basically a bare-bones mobile OS designed around a consumerist model, based on generating as many transactions as possible. App purchases, media purchases, point-of-sale payments, etc. They are designed to distract/entertain their owners with endless "choices" of things to do.
    Yet, there are plenty of people in the world who are getting things done on Android and iOS.

I could argue that having a choice in apps makes me more productive. I'm not locked into Blackberrys apps, and their lack of updates.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Mecca EL and MikeX74 like this.
    01-21-16 05:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Amen and well put, I still have a few friends who are true to OS10 and are not app driven and love it. I say great, as long as it works for their needs.
    BerrySoul likes this.
    01-21-16 05:58 PM
    There are so many different situations, both personal and corporate, that make an OS decision quite personal. There is no one platform for everyone. Because one business uses X doesn't mean another one can't use Y both productively. Businesses across the world are being run on Blackberry, Android, iOS, and Windows. I hope Blackberry settles in somewhere and finds its way to be successful again.
    Prem WatsApp and IndianTiwari like this.
    01-21-16 07:03 PM
    There are so many different situations, both personal and corporate, that make an OS decision quite personal. There is no one platform for everyone. Because one business uses X doesn't mean another one can't use Y both productively. Businesses across the world are being run on Blackberry, Android, iOS, and Windows. I hope Blackberry settles in somewhere and finds its way to be successful again.
    Agreed. :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    01-21-16 07:29 PM
    I was looking forward to a near term upgrade to a Passport, but now I am not as eager to do so. The issue for me is the recent cancellation of the "Built for BB " program. It's not that I relied on it, so much as it was one area that made me feel that BlackBerry was at least making an effort to say "we may not have it all, but what is here is quality". I just can't imagine that it cost that much to run.

Of course BB10 will continue to meet my needs for email and messaging for some time, but the browser will start to lag behind (the map already does). So while I will trade app selection for a superior messaging and email platform, an aging Web browser will hurt. Add to that the eventual changes to cloud services that go unanswered (much like the PB), and it is hard for me to think spending any more on the platform is worth it.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 08:04 PM
    The way things are looking there will be be no more BlackBerry. I just bought a couple z30 to last me till at least next year. So it's up to you I will stay till the wheels basically fall off. Or the phone no longer functions. I really wished BlackBerry would keep producing. But they keep making huge mistakes which cause consumers to fear a dead products and keep the from buying. The biggest mistake was putting them selves up for sale. That put the fear in everyone and people stop buying phones.

Posted via CB10
    I agree Chen has been both a savior and an albatross but if I put my railroad up for sale it would still be a railroad when new owners take over so that should not have been the poison it ended up becoming.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 09:08 PM
    I think there will BE a BlackBerry but not the BlackBerry as we know it now. With the ending of the Built for BlackBerry developer program, it looks like that's another step to ending support for BB10. Who knows when that will happen....

If you're about to sign a contract for two years with a carrier, I'd say don't. If you get a good deal on a used one, go for it.

As sad as it is, it looks like if they go long term with hardware, it's all android. If they dump hardware, BlackBerry will be totally different than what we see now.

Best thing is to go back on the CB Youtube channel and watch all the old ones to get nostalgic as to they way it was.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    01-21-16 09:12 PM
    Was eyeing the Passport SE until just recently but will take a good look at the upcoming Vienna and make a decision this summer ?? .
    01-22-16 02:42 PM

Real Multitasking too?
    01-22-16 02:47 PM
    Real Multitasking too?
    Absolutely. As slick as BB10. The BlackBerry launcher does a great job of making it seamless.

In addition, the Android Runtime on BB10 has inconsistent multitasking performance because of the nature of the VM. As more and more people on BB10 depend on Android apps, this is a big problem. Not so on the Priv of course.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-16 02:59 PM
    but I don't speak of the Android runtime but of the real multitasking between the two. the tabbed browsing is horrible on Android. the pause in the background for apps so when you get back to them you need to redo everything all over again.
    BerrySoul likes this.
    01-22-16 03:10 PM
97 123 ...