Several posters above (and on similar threads) have mentioned that the Android versions of these Apps are flaky, slow, and crash, even when they're run on "real" Android devices. There's a thread over there, that reports that one of these vendors is going to be dropping support for their Android App because of poor performance - credit to them for seeing that their reputation is worth more than the $$$ that their service costs their Android users.

If I were a medical doctor, and I chose to use one of these Android Apps over the stable, regularly updated, iOS version to provide information that might be vital to the health and well-being of my patients - then I'd consider my ethical judgement to be in serious doubt.

I'm sorry if that sounds pompous, but honestly, professionals should be using professional tools - especially where lives may be stake.

And, that's not Android medical Apps, particularly when run on a BB10 device under the runtime!
    Maybe, but the problem is that apps are developed based on what most people use, not the best device for the purpose.

Take, for example, LexiComp, which I mentioned above. My wife has always favored the physical kb. She used to use a Bold 9900 along with an ipod touch just to run the iOS version of Lexicomp. She hated how difficult it was to enter drug names with the iOS virtual kb, especially because the names are not exactly dictionary terms. To make matters worse, the app functions by maintaining local copies of large (500+MB) databases, which you are supposed to update very regularly. iOS, in its complete inability to truly multitask, required that the app be open and open to the update screen in order to complete the update... which would sometimes take 10-15 minutes. The result was that she would put off updating drug information databases, which technically creates a risk to patient care, her license, profession, etc.

Even the crummy android port on BB10 can update in the background, while she's doing other things with her device. Not only that, but the Q10 keyboard makes it much easier to enter search terms, without even having to tap on a "search box" icon.

So you tell me, which is the best tool for the task?

Unfortunately what we have here is medical app providers catering to the devices used by the largest audience,.. even if those "professionals" only ended up with those devices because their teenage kid, or some minimum-wage employee at the carrier store told them it was the best.

Posted via CB10
    Reed Richards likes this.
    09-04-14 01:30 PM
    I'm using the BlackBerry 10 as a communication device only, to discuss cases with my colleagues, to consult each other or ask for an expert opinion. But no more than that. Because BlackBerry 10 lack the profesional app needed at the medical field right now. I have no desire to move to iPhone, but I'm really considering buying the iPad to do my work more efficiently. My hospital has an e-medical record, and we view images from desktop provided by the hospital.

If BlackBerry wants to be considered the great player at medical field, something has to change. As I have seen Passport has been advertised as a device with which doctors can see imaging studies, such as X-ray or CT scans, better, I really hope that something is in the work by BlackBerry.
    09-04-14 02:24 PM
    Several posters above (and on similar threads) have mentioned that the Android versions of these Apps are flaky, slow, and crash, even when they're run on "real" Android devices. There's a thread over there, that reports that one of these vendors is going to be dropping support for their Android App because of poor performance - credit to them for seeing that their reputation is worth more than the $$$ that their service costs their Android users.

If I were a medical doctor, and I chose to use one of these Android Apps over the stable, regularly updated, iOS version to provide information that might be vital to the health and well-being of my patients - then I'd consider my ethical judgement to be in serious doubt.

I'm sorry if that sounds pompous, but honestly, professionals should be using professional tools - especially where lives may be stake.

And, that's not Android medical Apps, particularly when run on a BB10 device under the runtime!
    To be fair, I think they won't quit Android support in general, but Android-BB10 support, because that's specifically sluggish.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 02:26 PM
28 12