Please someone explain!!........ I can understand what gamers say, not enough apps, however bad press stating it's not "new technology" "last year specs"etc! Have the critics used the device??

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 10-01-13 at 11:28 AM.
    10-01-13 11:17 AM
    Different priorities.
    R_from_Toronto and wayne504 like this.
    10-01-13 11:19 AM
    John Q Public doesn't care about security until his info is stolen. Unless some report gets published that states that X millions of users data was stolen from Google or Apple, they simply don't care. Even then I doubt users would be swayed enough to jump ship. They would probably just change their passwords and assume they are safer again.

Unfortunately, government use just doesn't rack up the kind of numbers that Blackberry needs to remain a strong player in the handset game.
    10-01-13 11:40 AM
    Why does john public need top secret security? John doesn't care, NSA can get the info regardless.
    R_from_Toronto likes this.
    10-01-13 11:44 AM
    Please someone explain!!........ I can understand what gamers say, not enough apps, however bad press stating it's not "new technology" "last year specs"etc! Have the critics used the device??

Posted via CB10
    When "John Public" goes to the store and sees the Galaxy S4, the G2, the X1, the HTC One and the Z10 all next to each other, reads the card with the specs and reads that those are all Android devices and have a huge ecosystem, that is enough for "John Public" to say no way.

People like staying current. Why buy a device in 2013 with 2012 specs when there are devices right next to it for the same price (not anymore the Z10 is cheaper, but the Z30 might be priced as high) with much better specs and app ecosystem? They won't and they aren't.

I really like my Z10 and understand that it is a developing platform. Not all consumers will feel the same way and no one should expect them to. It is not their job to give BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt and the "support". It is BlackBerrys job to deliver a product the market deems competitive. They haven't done that yet.
    10-01-13 11:55 AM
    I think BlackBerry will become government level devices as the rest of us are forced to use crap unsecured OS that's easy for big brother to watch. This is my only conspiracy prediction. But I think it fits well with everything that has and is happening now.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 12:41 PM
    I think BlackBerry will become government level devices as the rest of us are forced to use crap unsecured OS that's easy for big brother to watch. This is my only conspiracy prediction. But I think it fits well with everything that has and is happening now.

Posted via CB10
    You don't think they can get info from Blackberry's? I bet they can.
    10-01-13 12:47 PM
    Whether the "critics" have or have not used the device(s) is really irrelevant to this issue. The thing that is relevant is the fact that the average consumer does not need the level of security that an agency such as NATO does and because of that, no matter how much BlackBerry excels in that area they really could not care less.

The security afforded by the device(s) is not because of games and apps, it's processor, screen, keyboard or any other things that would make up "specs" so making the sort of leap that you have really confuses two separate issues...at least in the mind of the buying public.
    10-01-13 12:53 PM
    The issue as I see it is that good security isn't compatible with masses of apps by definition, I tried to explain this today with a carrier sales person in a discussion about "me being the only BB fan" "Oh you're the one" he said. I suggested that until the Joe public values their data more than their multiple applications, companies of BlackBerry's excellence (platform) will always live in the background with those of us that place high importance on security in our communication.

I am absolutely certain that BB secure apps would be enough for most of us. Its the culture that needs to change in my opinion.
    FuNKBerryZ likes this.
    10-01-13 12:58 PM
    You don't think they can get info from Blackberry's? I bet they can.
    I bet they can too but it's obvious that the security is on a different level and more difficult to get passed.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 12:58 PM
    Whether the "critics" have or have not used the device(s) is really irrelevant to this issue. The thing that is relevant is the fact that the average consumer does not need the level of security that an agency such as NATO does and because of that, no matter how much BlackBerry excels in that area they really could not care less.

The security afforded by the device(s) is not because of games and apps, it's processor, screen, keyboard or any other things that would make up "specs" so making the sort of leap that you have really confuses two separate issues...at least in the mind of the buying public.
    Perhaps to you security isn't an issue! Personally had my banking compromised on SS S4 running android, so if this isn't your concern I say GREAT!

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 01:01 PM
    I bet they can too but it's obvious that the security is on a different level and more difficult to get passed.

Posted via CB10
    On your BB10 phone, it's just like having an IPhone. There is no NOC to go through. So the same way they spy on IOS is the exact same on BB10. BBOS was different and harder. I hate when ppl using a BB10 with NO BES bring up security. Makes me laugh
    10-01-13 01:15 PM
    Besides for John Public.... what is secure about a BB10 BlackBerry? The average person is not going to have a BES10 Server at home which is required for most of the features that make a BlackBerry secure. Other than BBM, all other email and web traffic is routed the same on a BB10 device as it is on iOS or Android.

And if anything the whole "leaks" and "sideloading" requirement to get any decent use from a BB10 device negates any real claims to being a secure platform. Downloading files from unknown sources and installing them is the first thing they tell you NOT to do in a class on secure computing.
    10-01-13 01:31 PM
    BlackBerry never really marketed the benefits of having a secure operating system. If you would have the chance though, how would you?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 01:34 PM
    Perhaps to you security isn't an issue! Personally had my banking compromised on SS S4 running android, so if this isn't your concern I say GREAT!

Posted via CB10
    Where did he say this? He said the AVERAGE CONSUMER.
    10-01-13 01:36 PM
    When "John Public" goes to the store and sees the Galaxy S4, the G2, the X1, the HTC One and the Z10 all next to each other, reads the card with the specs and reads that those are all Android devices and have a huge ecosystem, that is enough for "John Public" to say no way.

People like staying current. Why buy a device in 2013 with 2012 specs when there are devices right next to it for the same price (not anymore the Z10 is cheaper, but the Z30 might be priced as high) with much better specs and app ecosystem? They won't and they aren't.

I really like my Z10 and understand that it is a developing platform. Not all consumers will feel the same way and no one should expect them to. It is not their job to give BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt and the "support". It is BlackBerrys job to deliver a product the market deems competitive. They haven't done that yet.
    This. Realistic comment on the competition.

I think this is the reason why BlackBerry chose to target the enterprise market instead.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 01:38 PM
    It's obviously clear that consumers don't think security is sexy so I'm not sure why BlackBerry keeps barking up that tree.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 01:40 PM
    On your BB10 phone, it's just like having an IPhone. There is no NOC to go through. So the same way they spy on IOS is the exact same on BB10. BBOS was different and harder. I hate when ppl using a BB10 with NO BES bring up security. Makes me laugh
    Incorrect. You do not need BES to enable the built in encryption on BB10. Just look for the little lock icon on the browser.
    10-01-13 01:54 PM
    Are you seriously asking why the average consumer doesn't want top level security? In a world of Facebook, Google, and social networking? Please answer your own question.

Your thread should be titled like this:
    BlackBerry 10, Lack of apps, no marketing, delays, not good enough for John Public???
    ajst222 likes this.
    10-01-13 02:18 PM
    Like most of the people here I have more than a passing interest in this stuff and consider myself a bit more tech savvy than the average consumer walking around a mall somewhere. YOU, me and a lot of the people here get security so you are kind of preaching to the converted. Honestly, I am trying to find anywhere in the post you quoted where I even mentioned what is important to ME personally...but never mind that for a minute.

The point I was making was not about us, the tech geeks, but the general buying public. To the general buying public any security beyond the ability to password protect their phone (if they even use that) is a non-issue. Sad, I know, but that is pretty much close to reality.
    10-01-13 02:29 PM
    No. It's not good enough for John Public.

I was once like you. I was a down-to-my-core BlackBerry evangelist. My old account has long since been lost, but I have been on CrackBerry since 2009. Hell, I still have a BlackBerry 6710 in a box someplace.

This year, I jumped from the platform.

Truth be told, I had been playing with Android since installing an early build on my HP TouchPad, so I was pretty comfortable with it, but it took some time for me to warm up to the platform as a daily driver.

The truth is, that Android is no more or less secure than most other platforms. It's only when a user starts installing questionable applications (or doesn't lock his/her device) that things go sideways. Even then, the kernel is elevated above root, so there's only so much an application can do so long as you're careful.

I consider myself a power user (as I imagine most here or on most web forums do), but I also like the frills.

When I bought my HTC One, BB10 had almost none of the apps I wanted. No Netflix, Hulu, Songza, Instagram, Nike+, myfitnesspal, Chrome etc. While it did have Facebook and Twitter, the apps paled in comparison to offerings on iOS and Android.

For me, and evidently most other consumers, the choice was clear.

Add in the fact that my device was spec'd higher than the offering from RIM at the time and you get the idea.

Encryption is not a priority for most users, even those in the enterprise. For those that it is, perhaps BB10 is a great offering. But even then, i suspect that Samsung's Knox offering will begin to fill even that gap.

I'm hard pressed to see where BB goes from here. I love the company (I'm kicking around CrackBerry again in hopes for signs of good news). Have some great friends that (used to) work in Waterloo, but I hate these devices. Absolutely not for me.

But hey, if you've honestly tried the alternatives, and still love your BlackBerry (perhaps for all the security it offers), there really is no arguing with personal taste, and I absolutely do hope that your device continues to get support in the years ahead.
    10-01-13 02:43 PM
    Something is wrong with me... I read John Public as John's Pubic..
    10-01-13 02:49 PM
    Are you seriously asking why the average consumer doesn't want top level security? In a world of Facebook, Google, and social networking? Please answer your own question.

Your thread should be titled like this:
    BlackBerry 10, Lack of apps, no marketing, delays, not good enough for John Public???
    Exactly. Security isn't the thing a consumer would look for when they go to view a phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 02:55 PM

With the eco system logic I believe you are very accurate but the logic with the latest specs are needed doesn't make sence. If it was true then Apple wouldn't have just sold 9 million iphones which are running 2012 specs, but since it just works know one cares what processor iphones have and 64bit means nothing as it will be years till it is properly used.
    10-01-13 02:56 PM
    No. It's not good enough for John Public.

I was once like you. I was a down-to-my-core BlackBerry evangelist. My old account has long since been lost, but I have been on CrackBerry since 2009. Hell, I still have a BlackBerry 6710 in a box someplace.

This year, I jumped from the platform.

Truth be told, I had been playing with Android since installing an early build on my HP TouchPad, so I was pretty comfortable with it, but it took some time for me to warm up to the platform as a daily driver.

The truth is, that Android is no more or less secure than most other platforms. It's only when a user starts installing questionable applications (or doesn't lock his/her device) that things go sideways. Even then, the kernel is elevated above root, so there's only so much an application can do so long as you're careful.

I consider myself a power user (as I imagine most here or on most web forums do), but I also like the frills.

When I bought my HTC One, BB10 had almost none of the apps I wanted. No Netflix, Hulu, Songza, Instagram, Nike+, myfitnesspal, Chrome etc. While it did have Facebook and Twitter, the apps paled in comparison to offerings on iOS and Android.

For me, and evidently most other consumers, the choice was clear.

Add in the fact that my device was spec'd higher than the offering from RIM at the time and you get the idea.

Encryption is not a priority for most users, even those in the enterprise. For those that it is, perhaps BB10 is a great offering. But even then, i suspect that Samsung's Knox offering will begin to fill even that gap.

I'm hard pressed to see where BB goes from here. I love the company (I'm kicking around CrackBerry again in hopes for signs of good news). Have some great friends that (used to) work in Waterloo, but I hate these devices. Absolutely not for me.

But hey, if you've honestly tried the alternatives, and still love your BlackBerry (perhaps for all the security it offers), there really is no arguing with personal taste, and I absolutely do hope that your device continues to get support in the years ahead.
    Its very easy for an average consumer to download something very questionable from Google play and unless they change their App submission program this will not change, iPhone and BB are therefore by default "More Secure" to an average user as you are far less likely to be able to get some malicious software on your device!

Regarding the Apps I still can't understand why I would want a lot of the so called must have apps on my phone? I want them on a tablet with a 7" ish display please so I'd always be happy with BB10 even if No other app's ever appeared, just so long as I can use an iPad mini or Nexus 7 to fulfil the app gap!
    10-01-13 03:00 PM
27 12