View Poll Results: Should RIM have used a slick concept design we see pop up on crackberry?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!! hardware change is needed!

23 45.10%
  • No! its just fine!

11 21.57%
  • RIM has surprise for us and are hiding the real hardware for release

17 33.33%
    Following apples keynote session today announcing the iphone5, i have so much hope for BB10.. seriously, if ever there was a chance to come back into the game, now (this period that RIM is announcing and releasing BB10) is the right time... seriously speaking now, iphone5 is just a bigger iphone and nothing was anything that made me go wow.. features i have already seen the new androids (which are good) but this wasnt revolutionary. The new stuff that was introduced isnt that amazing either.....

Having said that however, i felt dissapointed that the iphone 5 is just a bigger iphone 4... and that links to bb10, cos Blackberries right now are totally unique and you automatically recognise one... the L series leaks do not look that innovative however,... its definetely whats inside the counts, im only interested in the software, but the world wont be interested in just that.. they will want a nice design too... and the L-series doesnt look like any of the concept designs (seriously someone at RIM should hire a concept artist)... some have even said it looks like just another android device. My worry is that leaks can be accurate,,, the iphone5 leaks previously was exactly what they showed today...

so if these leaks of BB l-series are what the final hardware will look like... people might not pay as much attention... do u guys think the design should be something slicker or closer to the concept images we have seen? the physical keypad version wont have that problem as people that have used BB10 hardware say its a slicker bold.. and the bold is a sexy device already... they have to come out of the gates running fast imo.. so that included the L-series too

or is the design element not so important and software element even more important?? how will the world react to an amazing software but more standard hardware.. does it matter?
    Last edited by amjass12; 09-12-12 at 02:02 PM.
    09-12-12 01:56 PM
    im hoping BB10 isn't another boring rectangle slab, but who knows. Doesn't matter to me though, I want a keyboard version, along the lines of a thinner Bold 9900. With MUCH more app support too.
    amjass12 likes this.
    09-12-12 02:34 PM
    They did a really good job with the design of the 9900. I hope they can have that type of quality and premium feel to it.

If they can, I'd love it.
    amjass12 and shemaree09 like this.
    09-12-12 02:36 PM
    They did a really good job with the design of the 9900. I hope they can have that type of quality and premium feel to it.

If they can, I'd love it.
    Yeah they did. Thats why Im really in no rush to upgrade (I cant until next year anyway lol) because my 9930 is great! I like the quality, Touch+Type combo, size, and OS7. The Bold is a solid phone. Im good until 2013
    09-12-12 02:39 PM
    im hoping BB10 isn't another boring rectangle slab, but who knows. Doesn't matter to me though, I want a keyboard version, along the lines of a thinner Bold 9900. With MUCH more app support too.
    Would you prefer a heptagon, or perhaps a cyclic quadrilateral?
    09-12-12 04:06 PM
    Mobius strip please

In before apple patents it

As for the op, I like the concept design so would have no arguments from me apart from maybe the lack of trackpad, but that will depend on the screen size and UI as to whether its needed (on the current 9790 I find myself relying on it a fair bit for selecting text etc as the screen is a bit small for my fat thumbs)

I also quite like the L, there's not a lot you can do with a full touch device. If anything I was hoping itd be the same as the dev alpha with a battery door, part of me liked its playbook styling
    Last edited by Donnee; 09-12-12 at 04:56 PM.
    09-12-12 04:29 PM
    Mobius strip please

In before apple patents it

As for the op, I like the concept design so would have no arguments from me. I also quite like the L, there's not a lot you can do with a full touch device. If anything I was hoping itd be the same as the dev alpha with a battery door, part of me liked its playbook styling
    Spot on, there's really only so much you can do with a rectangular slab exterior. It's what's under the hood that matters now.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 09-12-12 at 04:43 PM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-12-12 04:39 PM
    It's what's under the hood that matters now.
    Must...not...
    Donnee and sleepngbear like this.
    09-12-12 04:46 PM
    No, I mean something that stands out. From afar, can u really tell if someone is using an iPhone, Android, or Windows phone these days? But you can spot a Blackberry from across the room. Even if it is a rectangle, make it standout!
    09-12-12 04:46 PM
    No, I mean something that stands out. From afar, can u really tell if someone is using an iPhone, Android, or Windows phone these days? But you can spot a Blackberry from across the room. Even if it is a rectangle, make it standout!
    Trouble is without putting some horribly bright bezel around the outside or making it rampant pink the only way you can really differentiate a full touch device is with the OS as that's taking up most of the front of the phone.

IOS and Samsungs galaxy home screens (without opening up pandoras box of patents) are very similar to look at, WP8 is a bit different with the tiles, we just have to hope BB10 has something unique about it to make it stand out. if it were a direct copy of the existing PB OS for example that would be quite original for a phone (assuming we ignore the palm pre)
    Last edited by Donnee; 09-12-12 at 04:58 PM.
    09-12-12 04:54 PM
    Hmmm... I seem to remember someone posting how much they were dissapointed in the looks of the London.. Okay that was me.. But I personally think it's a cheapened looking BB and needs to change.

RIM has the perfect oppurtunity right now. The i-phone also looks redundant as it looks the same as it did in 2007. Windows phones have the "live tiles" on the home screen and most people hate how messy the tiles look as there is no clean home screen. Then there's Android, and I think all of their stuff looks plasticky and cheap.

So yes, if RIM can change the look of the London to have a classy upscale look such as the current Bold.. I think they will place themselves ahead of the pack and position themselves for success.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    09-14-12 08:02 PM
    Clinto is right. However, it WILL pretty much look like the leaked photos. Birds are always chirpin' if you listen closely enough.
    09-14-12 08:35 PM
    it would nice if they made the London look like a torch '50/'60.

who said a full touch phone has to be a drab rectangle?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    09-14-12 08:51 PM
    The N series is the qwerty right? How many ways could they change the design really besides putting the keyboard on the top and screen on the bottom :/
    Everything else is aesthetics, otherwise you ditch the candybar form factor and go slider which personally I would likely despise. Knowing that the physical function keys and trackpad are gone, that's more than enough change for me (I'm too minimal in my need for changes though which I think excludes me from the mass opinions.) Still, I wish they would've kept the d*mn trackpad.

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    09-15-12 07:28 AM
    I just think they should design it in a way that makes it stand out. Give it a gunmetal color, rounded or angled corners, even keep the metal band that the 9900 has.

Not just another black rectangle that we see everyday. You should be able to tell that its a Blackberry from afar.
    Clinto likes this.
    09-15-12 08:32 AM
    I just think they should design it in a way that makes it stand out. Give it a gunmetal color, rounded or angled corners, even keep the metal band that the 9900 has.

Not just another black rectangle that we see everyday. You should be able to tell that its a Blackberry from afar.
    Yeah I agree Shemaree09! Thorsten Heinz has already stated that RIM has finally realized who their target market is. It's not the general public, its the working professional or "People That Do".

So why-o-why are they making a bland looking phone whose appearance is targetting the general public?? They should make it upscale, sharp, with no plastic, only nice materials like the Bold 99XX, and make no apologies as to who they are targetting... People That F**kng Do.
    09-15-12 12:43 PM
    You have it backwards. The general public want a glitzy phone. The "working people that do professionals" don't care what their phone looks like. They just want it to work.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    09-15-12 01:28 PM
    Spot on, there's really only so much you can do with a rectangular slab exterior. It's what's under the hood that matters now.
    There's no reason why it can't still have a thoughtful, nuanced design. Though the L-Series leak is solid, there's no heart.
    09-15-12 01:35 PM
    I'm not too concerned about what it looks like, I'm excited to see bb10. I'm sure it will look good though.
    09-15-12 01:43 PM
    You have it backwards. The general public want a glitzy phone. The "working people that do professionals" don't care what their phone looks like. They just want it to work.
    Really?? Is that why successful "People That Do" drive BMW's with "blingy" halo headlights and sharp upscale sytling and tons of horsepower.. or Mercedes Benz or Audi or Cadillac all with the same recipe??

Really? You think professionals want to drive a Camry??
    AT_Nepal likes this.
    09-15-12 01:49 PM
    Design is going to get peoples attention and drive sales. I think the leaked images of the BB London, are ok, but there is no WOW. It's not going to turn off any customers, but BB 10 will have to be really good to be a compelling buy compared to the competition. Design is one of the reasons why Apple and Samsung(when copying Apple and when not) have been so successful.

QWERTY users love the Bold. You can't go wrong with that design. If they make it more like the TK Victory, QWERTY users will be in heaven.
    09-15-12 09:14 PM
    Yep, along with the Playbook.....
    09-15-12 09:16 PM
    And support our mobile chargers so as not to have to reinvest in accccceeeesssssoooorrrieeeeesssss.... Help us protect our investments
    09-15-12 09:19 PM
    Design is going to get peoples attention and drive sales. I think the leaked images of the BB London, are ok, but there is no WOW.
    I strongly agree, the leaked images are too bland to be something that makes non-Blackberry users take notice. I'm still hoping the new phone will have more zing.
    09-15-12 09:31 PM
    funny how many people are not impressed when they saw a pic of an actual device but everyone was going crazy when this came out
    Exclusive: First Image of a BlackBerry 10 Superphone!! | CrackBerry.com
    09-15-12 10:15 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD