Are blackberry actually still running the system where a new update such as 10.1 gets released by carriers only when they are ready? Why can't they just do it like apple and everyone gets it at the same time. It's such a stupid way to release updates. I remember I had to wait nearly 6 months for an update to arrive on my carrier even though I did just install a custom firmware from another carrier its still not fair or logical? Could someone shed some light on this matter?

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 03:43 AM
    yeah, carriers will still test and then push out the update...

You can also get updates via BB Link
    04-03-13 03:46 AM
    The BB firmware includes the radio stack (the software and firmware that controls the mobile radio protocols such as LTE). The carriers want to test all radio stacks before permitting them to attach on their cellular network. There are sensible reasons for that but, a quality engineering company like BlackBerry is not likely to build the stack wrong.

There could be several reasons Apple control the update schedule:

1) Maybe Apple does not write the radio stack. If it is written by some other company, they get the approval from the carriers.

2) Apple can use it's market power and force the carriers to let Apple do what it wants.
    There is an investigation in Europe looking in to the influence Apple exerts over the carriers there.

3) Apple updates don't include radio stack updates so the carriers don't technically need to test it. This is similar to BlackBerry putting out updates through BlackBerry World. Carriers don't have to control those updates.

4) Apple permits the carriers to test the update and then distributes it themselves with carrier approval.
    04-03-13 05:33 AM
    Apple can do it because they do what they want to do.
    04-03-13 06:19 AM