View Poll Results: RIMM should sell unlocked versions of BlackBerry 10 devices

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 97.87%
  • No

1 2.13%
    Do you want to see RIMM also sell carrier unlocked versions of the upcoming BlackBerry 10 devices a la Apple and Google with their phones?
    11-16-12 01:15 PM
    Definitely would love to see this happen. Carriers have too much power and I'd rather buy a phone that they haven't loaded down with bloatware.
    11-16-12 01:27 PM
    totally should be available.

however, it requires additional resources to setup their channels for that.
    11-16-12 01:34 PM
    BlackBerry | Country Selector
    However, I don't think it's in their best interest as they receive BIS fees from the carriers and no one else has this setup in place.
    11-16-12 01:56 PM
    I'd love to see it happen, but I'm not holding my breath. RIM needs all the carriers on-board for BB 10. Why risk antagonizing them?
    11-16-12 02:38 PM
    If you are a RIM employee (or know one) you can already buy unlocked BB's for wholesale cost. I don't see why they can't take this to the street and sell them for retail. Oh ya, because the retail stores would kill them.
    11-16-12 02:50 PM
    RIM all ready does sell unlocked OS/phone by purchase from an approved outlet, sometimes called sim free. I use mobilefun in the uk, I see no reason why BB10 devices will be any different. Sold direct rather than via a carrier. Update works automatically through Desktop Manager or OTA. The OS doesnt have vendor files.
    I'm with t-mobile in the UK they are very happy to take my business, �15.00 per month ($24 USD). No contract limitations
    11-16-12 03:03 PM
    There are many vendors online that sell unbranded BlackBerrys. I bought one, my Pearl 9100, from an online dealer located in New York. Abe 123 on Amazon.com.

Edit... he doesn't have any items for sale anymore.... bummer.
    11-16-12 03:11 PM
    sell carier unlocked and aws versions at the launch
    11-16-12 06:02 PM
    RIM all ready does sell unlocked OS/phone by purchase from an approved outlet, sometimes called sim free. I use mobilefun in the uk, I see no reason why BB10 devices will be any different. Sold direct rather than via a carrier. Update works automatically through Desktop Manager or OTA. The OS doesnt have vendor files.
    I'm with t-mobile in the UK they are very happy to take my business, �15.00 per month ($24 USD). No contract limitations
    Yes we are very lucky with the way that mobile works in the UK. Unfortunately for people in the US it's not so good.
    11-16-12 06:32 PM
    BlackBerry | Country Selector
    However, I don't think it's in their best interest as they receive BIS fees from the carriers and no one else has this setup in place.
    I believe the BIS fees come from the BB data plan than one would get from a carrier, so this shouldn't affect BIS.
    11-16-12 07:46 PM
    Do you want to see RIMM also sell carrier unlocked versions of the upcoming BlackBerry 10 devices a la Apple and Google with their phones?
    Smartphone which is sold in Indonesia shall be factory unlock. Except it comes from black market
    11-16-12 09:23 PM
    Yes we are very lucky with the way that mobile works in the UK. Unfortunately for people in the US it's not so good.
    Okay I didn't know it wouldn't be the same sorry.
    11-17-12 10:52 AM
    I'd love to see it, but at this point in time, RIM needs the carriers to help them push BB10. They're not in Google's position where they can sell a device for dirt cheap and recover money through their other services, nor are they in Apple's dominant position where they can dictate terms to carriers, and where they have many who will pay full pop to get the latest i-Device every year. A move to increase direct or contract free sales could be perceived negatively by carriers.

Carrier device subsidies and push are going to be what gives RIM their biggest shot at regaining users in the immediate future.
    11-17-12 12:08 PM
    We can get an unbranded device from an authorised rim dealer here in indonesia

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    11-17-12 12:13 PM
    There are many vendors online that sell unbranded BlackBerrys. I bought one, my Pearl 9100, from an online dealer located in New York. Abe 123 on Amazon.com.

Edit... he doesn't have any items for sale anymore.... bummer.
    There are other 3rd party sites that sell such phones for American customers-- sites like Negri Electronics, Plemix, GSM Nation, etc. But expect to see a markup of anywhere between $50-$100 for unbranded devices

Actually you can do the same here. If you're out of contract, buy the phone at retail price (from a carrier or one of the options above--just make sure it works on the carrier of your choice), then either continue month to month on your expired contract or get prepaid service. Some carriers even let you get no-contract, postpaid service if you BYOD. They just might force you to get a data plan, though.

Smartphone which is sold in Indonesia shall be factory unlock. Except it comes from black market
    What do you mean by "comes from black market?" I'm intrigued.
    11-17-12 02:56 PM
    While I think all phones should be available in an unlocked state and available for sale to anyone with a SIM card, (I believe that in the EU - all phones are available this way by law?), RIM comes to a bit of a disadvantage to some of their competition. Google sells phones/tablets in their Play Store and Amazon tablets because they want you to consume media from them through their store which they own 100%. Both are actively sending you ads etc as well that makes them money. Selling a Nexus 4, 7 or 10 at cost, or a Kindle Tablet at cost locks you into their system. RIM is partnering with 7Digital for media so the money is not all theirs. RIM would be priced with Apple who never discounts anything (except that one black Friday sale a year), and both look to the hardware sale as very important revenue generator.
    11-17-12 03:30 PM
    RIMM should absolutely sell unlocked BB10 devices from day one! I myself intend to buy a Sim free version of the first BB10 phone to hit the market on day one as I do not wish to be tied into another contract while the one I have now is still active for many months to come. Roll on 30th January and unleash all your goodness :^)
    11-17-12 07:24 PM

What do you mean by "comes from black market?" I'm intrigued.
    smartphones that smuggled by hand carried or any other ways that don't pays for taxes in customs. And don't have any certification from our government.

you can all it black market stuff.

cheaper than legitimate one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9020 using Tapatalk
    11-17-12 09:15 PM
    That's considered more gray market than black market
    11-17-12 10:41 PM
    majority of the phones sold in India are unlocked and available with phone retailers... One should have the choice to choose an operator of his choice... Even If I purchase one from any operator it will not be locked and no contract.... you purchase the phone at cost / market price.
    11-18-12 02:03 AM
    It's frustrating that it's difficult to buy an unlocked phone in Canada. This isn't just a RIM problem. It's a industry problem. Even if you pay full price from a carrier it will still be locked. They try to claim it's to secure it to their system. It makes me laugh when they say that.
    11-18-12 02:26 AM
    Maybe I should start sending phones from here... Will be a business opportunity...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    11-18-12 10:22 AM
    I think it would be a good thing - although an expensive option for an end user up front.

I think users want that, and are used to that with iPhones and Google phones - especially here in the UK. (Although I think Google subsidise their phones?)

Unlocked 9900's as well as other BB devices are available SIM free here in the UK at a cost.

The current cost of a 9900 in PC World via the "Phones 4U" concession is 380 GBP (it was about 550 GBP a month ago - so prices are falling).

380 GBP approx 605 USD or CAD according to:
    (XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site)

Of course, the 380 GBP includes our 20% VAT (Sales Tax) which as an end user you have to pay and you can't get back.

I'm not going to give you a lecture on UK VAT here - but the rules for VAT registered businesses are slightly different when it comes to reclaiming VAT.

It can be a bit like buying a phone on credit though.

Take Vodafone in the UK on a Pay As You Go (PAYG) tariff.

Currently:
    �5 a month for BIS
    Then - depending what you want �10 / �15 or �20 a month for data and texts
    So, say you use their "Freedom Freebie" plan - you get:
    Vodafone Freebees on Vodafone UK - Get More Free With Pay As You Go
    �20 a month = 300 minutes, 3000 texts and 500MB web access

�25 a month so far for the BIS and the data.
    �380 for a BB 9900

Total cost for 2 years
    Assume prices and deals stay the same for 2 years.
    �600 for your BIS and data (�25 x 24months)
    �380 for your 9900
    �980 total cost over 2 years with the �380 paid up front

OR - get a Vodafone locked 9900 on a 2 year contract on a RED plan (RED = unlimited UK mins & UK texts).
    The only Vodafone plans you can get a 9900 on from the website seem to be RED plans - unless anyone knows differently?
    Pay Monthly Price Plans and Mobile Phones – Vodafone
    �37 a month for BIS / unlimited UK minutes / unlimited UK texts / 1GB of UK internet data
    �zero for the 9900

Total cost for 2 years
    �888 for your calls / texts / data (�37 x 24months)
    �zero for your 9900
    �888 total cost over 2 years - no up front cost but a higher monthly payment

I suppose the advantage of the PAYG option is you don't need to worry about contract terms. Like a new handset? Sell the old one and buy another. Keep your SIM. Keep your number.

Yet, the pay monthly option has the advantages of unlimited free calls - so if you use it instead of a landline - it can be interesting.

A little bit of swings and roundabouts! Most other carriers offer similar things - for example a PAYG 9900 on O2 is 350GBP etc.

Of course, a new BB10 device unlocked is likely to be higher than �380 at launch - then again the pricing plan on a pay monthly would likely be higher to reflect that.

Currently an unlocked iPhone5 in the UK is:
    Buy iPhone 5 with 16GB, 32GB or 64GB - Apple Store (UK)
    529GBP = 16Gig (circa 840USD or CAD)
    599GBP = 32Gig (circa 950USD or CAD)
    699GBP = 64Gig (circa 1,110USD or CAD)

I just don't particularly like having to sign a 2 year contract these days. 10 years ago I'd have been more comfortable with that - but these days, 2 years is a lifetime in tech.

Harry
    11-18-12 11:42 AM