TBH I think BlackBerry sales will continue to be low until they introduce BIS on these BlackBerry 10 devices

Unfortunately that's going to be hard since carries won't allow such things no more!

Snow White Z10 10.3.0.1052
    09-24-14 09:10 PM
    BIS was a product of its time: it was designed to make the very low bandwidth of 2G data connections some usability. Today, most places have 3G at least, and in mature markets, 4G LTE is the standard. Thus, BIS is simply not needed, and worse, BIS would actually slow down a 4G connection with latency, etc. It also would provide fairly little value today (in mature markets, at least), as most people's data usage is a result of viewing pictures, listening to music, streaming videos, or data from their GPS app, and all of this data is already compressed and can't be compressed any further.

This is why BIS wasn't built into BB10 - it's effectively obsolete.
    MarsupilamiX and 1magine like this.
    09-24-14 09:36 PM
    BIS isn't just about data compression, which would still sell in many countries anyway, but about true push email. I think BlackBerry could make some extra cash by offering BIS as an "app" on BBW for $2 per month. Many of us would pay for what BIS does. The reason it was killed off is carriers did not want to pay BlackBerry for the service.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 09:58 PM
    BIS mist definitely was not true push. The BIS servers made pop email appear to be push email. There was always a delay between polling your email accounts which users could not adjust.

BB10 supports true push email via IMAP push and Active Sync with no polling. All if my email accounts support one of those two mail protocols and my polling is set to manual as it is not needed. I get messages within seconds rather than minutes with BIS.

You have a false understanding of the technicalities of pop email which requires polling for new email and true push technologies such as IMAP push and Active Sync that automatically pushed new emails immediately to your phone.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and 1magine like this.
    09-24-14 11:34 PM
    I too must have a false understanding of the technicalities. I just know that I got my emails much faster with BIS.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:05 AM
    There's no way BIS was faster than Active Sync. None. Zip, zero, nada.

That being said, I do miss BIS. I'd much rather have a copy of the email pushed to my phone than have the mailboxes sync'd.
    09-25-14 12:53 AM
    all I know is that I never switched to a (Samsung /apple) data plan. I'm still with my BlackBerry data plan, from my 9900, on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.1154. unlimited data for about $34.

can't say if slower or faster.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:05 AM
    Not happening. We should be pushing for better plans from our carriers instead.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-25-14 01:18 AM
    Not happening. We should be pushing for better plans from our carriers instead.
    Better plans from carriers won't do anything to restore BIS email functionality.
    09-25-14 01:30 AM
    BIS mist definitely was not true push. The BIS servers made pop email appear to be push email. There was always a delay between polling your email accounts which users could not adjust.

BB10 supports true push email via IMAP push and Active Sync with no polling. All if my email accounts support one of those two mail protocols and my polling is set to manual as it is not needed. I get messages within seconds rather than minutes with BIS.

You have a false understanding of the technicalities of pop email which requires polling for new email and true push technologies such as IMAP push and Active Sync that automatically pushed new emails immediately to your phone.

Posted via CB10
    It really doesn't matter what happens at the NOC to mail server level, the fact is that BIS sent emails to BB phones instantly without the phone having to poll the NOC. That is not what happens with IMAP idle or ActiveSync, though AS is better than IMAP Idle, they both have to transmit data to the mail server to tell it what mail folders to monitor. However you look at it, classic BIS doesn't require the phone to burn batteries up transmitting data, and the NOC delivers emails faster(in every account I've seen) than AS or IMAPI.

And BIS will do this for POP accounts that have no integral push function at all.

I don't think it's me that doesn't understand how BIS works....

JR
    09-25-14 01:40 AM
    BIS was a product of its time: it was designed to make the very low bandwidth of 2G data connections some usability. Today, most places have 3G at least, and in mature markets, 4G LTE is the standard. Thus, BIS is simply not needed, and worse, BIS would actually slow down a 4G connection with latency, etc. It also would provide fairly little value today (in mature markets, at least), as most people's data usage is a result of viewing pictures, listening to music, streaming videos, or data from their GPS app, and all of this data is already compressed and can't be compressed any further.

This is why BIS wasn't built into BB10 - it's effectively obsolete.
    Ohk I didn't know about such, but some how BIS is still effective, at least here in South Africa, although some carries started throttling data and all that but it might be effective if implemented

Snow White Z10 10.3.0.1052
    09-25-14 03:55 AM
    I don't know why but the promised Vodafone 3G coverage never happened, I've been waiting for years to see improvements but nothing.

So without BIS every time I see E or GPRS as signal I know my phone is a brick, it's useless for anything except calls and SMS.
    09-25-14 11:11 AM
    I've always felt that, even though BIS (was / is) a great thing. I used it on my 8520 for 3 years. Everything has a life time and we need to move forward. Even though compression is great. Many people like having full quality images / video ect. You get a batter experience

As we have seen in BBM, they have increased the file size limit because BlackBerry understand the world we live in is becoming more data heavy and we need bigger "limits"

I'm all for the idea of bringing back BIS to save on data cost. But there is so much WI-FI everywhere these days so I rather have a higher quality experience than save a few dollars (or rands in the OP's situation)

Just my opinion obviously. I'm sure many will agree / disagree

BlackBerry 10 Wallpapers (BBM Channel) C004635F8
    09-25-14 12:04 PM
    Let BIS die peacefully already...
    It doesn't even know itself why it should still exist today.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:10 PM
    There's no way BIS was faster than Active Sync. None. Zip, zero, nada.

That being said, I do miss BIS. I'd much rather have a copy of the email pushed to my phone than have the mailboxes sync'd.
    The last part is preference, the first one just plainly wrong.

Better plans from carriers won't do anything to restore BIS email functionality.
    Well, then we should push for better email solutions, so that EAS is a worldwide standard (outside of the business world)?

I don't know why but the promised Vodafone 3G coverage never happened, I've been waiting for years to see improvements but nothing.

So without BIS every time I see E or GPRS as signal I know my phone is a brick, it's useless for anything except calls and SMS.
    Which is either a problem with your carrier, or your government.
    Doesn't mean that the rest of the world hasn't moved on from BIS.

0.3% of the devices sold this year (at best) will be devices that ere eligible for BIS.
    One wonders how 99.7% live without it, right?

But it is a pleasure to see you again.
    I nearly missed you!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:12 PM
    BIS isn't just about data compression, which would still sell in many countries anyway, but about true push email. I think BlackBerry could make some extra cash by offering BIS as an "app" on BBW for $2 per month. Many of us would pay for what BIS does. The reason it was killed off is carriers did not want to pay BlackBerry for the service.

Posted via CB10
    With ActiveSync support you no longer need BIS for email notification and push. Even my lowly community-funded ISP and email provider offers IMAP IDLE support by default and my personal email arrives on my BlackBerry Q5 instantaneously. There is little to no discernible difference between my IMPA IDLE personal account and my Microsoft Exchange & ActiveSync professional account. The only latency is marking the message on the server as read which can take up to 30 minutes. But since I primarily read my personal email on my smartphone the back-feed delay is immaterial and irrelevant, as Perry Mason frequently said in court.
    09-25-14 12:19 PM
    BIS is not coming back to newer BlackBerry phones. This was kind of a workaround solution to connect consumers with a BlackBerry handset to the BES network without the need of having their own BES.

ActiveSync is a lot better for today's needs and it's more widely accepted.
    09-25-14 02:24 PM
    It really doesn't matter what happens at the NOC to mail server level, the fact is that BIS sent emails to BB phones instantly without the phone having to poll the NOC. That is not what happens with IMAP idle or ActiveSync, though AS is better than IMAP Idle, they both have to transmit data to the mail server to tell it what mail folders to monitor. However you look at it, classic BIS doesn't require the phone to burn batteries up transmitting data, and the NOC delivers emails faster(in every account I've seen) than AS or IMAPI.

And BIS will do this for POP accounts that have no integral push function at all.

I don't think it's me that doesn't understand how BIS works....

JR
    Your already pointed out the major difference. Yes BIS pushes emails out immediately like Active Sync and IMAP idle but the key difference is the BIS polls your mail servers on an infrequent basis. About every 5 minutes. We both agree that once BIS has your email it pushes it immediately. It is waiting on BIS to poll that I no longer miss. I like immediate email response.

Another thing I like is the ability to swap SIMS while travelling. If I did that with my 9900 I lost BIS as you could not purchase pay as you go with BIS. So now when I travel I save a massive amount of money by purchasing a local SIM and having everything work including BBM.

Carries definitely won't pay for BIS but if there were enough interest, then I don't see why BBRY couldn't provide it as a monthly service outside of your phone contract. I for one do not miss BIS. I prefer instant email we you CANNOT get with BIS as well live synchronizing email, tasks and calendar entries across all accounts and all devices (tablet, phone and desktop). I live that I can manage everything on any device and all the changes sync automatically and immediately to all devices. Something BIS cannot do.

I understand you and some others live BIS and definitely agree that if there is enough demand and users are willing to pay for it then BBRY would be smart to delivery it. My guess is the community and interest may be too small for the costs to develop.

I bet CB already has taken a poll but maybe a new poll should be initiated and if they is enough interest send the results to BBRY.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 02:33 PM
    ActiveSync is a lot better for today's needs and it's more widely accepted.
    In some situations it's better, in others... not so much.
    09-25-14 02:38 PM
    I've always felt that, even though BIS (was / is) a great thing. I used it on my 8520 for 3 years. Everything has a life time and we need to move forward. Even though compression is great. Many people like having full quality images / video ect. You get a batter experience

As we have seen in BBM, they have increased the file size limit because BlackBerry understand the world we live in is becoming more data heavy and we need bigger "limits"

I'm all for the idea of bringing back BIS to save on data cost. But there is so much WI-FI everywhere these days so I rather have a higher quality experience than save a few dollars (or rands in the OP's situation)

Just my opinion obviously. I'm sure many will agree / disagree

BlackBerry 10 Wallpapers (BBM Channel) C004635F8
    Relying on public wifi hotspots is not only dangerous but it also take the "mobile" out of mobile phone.

All I known is if I find myself now out in the country the "smart" goes out of my smartphone, I can make calls and I can send SMS, that's about it.

But if you spend all your time in a city that's fine.

BB10 without BIS is two steps forward, one step back.

I remember not seeing any difference in BBM speed over 2G vs 3G, now I have to wait 30 seconds or more
    09-26-14 04:30 AM