Hi

I am thinking of buying blackbery bold. I would like to know if it's possible to use surf internet, email, msn, and GPS without subscribing to mobile services. I was thinking about using office wifi, and homenetwork -- since these are the only two place I would be needing it. Also can I use two email account -- say office, and my gmail. A\
    10-18-08 05:29 AM
    I had an 8320 (wifi version) before the 8330. As long as you have a good cell service with high speed connectivity, you really don't need the wifi. It's nice, but in real life testing, I found not having wifi to not be an issue. That's my .02 on the topic.

Feed the need. Visit CB frequently.
    10-18-08 06:42 AM
    I have wifi and while never having used it as a stand alone client I believe it does speed up my connection with tmobile. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert.
    10-18-08 06:48 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Wifi is included to support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) with a data plan.

Without the data plan, only the Browser can use Wifi, none of the email or message functions will work.

10-18-08 10:05 AM
    I had an 8320 (wifi version) before the 8330. As long as you have a good cell service with high speed connectivity, you really don't need the wifi. It's nice, but in real life testing, I found not having wifi to not be an issue. That's my .02 on the topic.

Feed the need. Visit CB frequently.
    I believe he/she wants WiFi so he/she doesn't need to pay for a data plan.
    10-18-08 12:18 PM
    I believe he/she wants WiFi so he/she doesn't need to pay for a data plan.
    Yes, I want to use internet, email, mesenger application without paying for a data plan. I take it I can't do that if I don't have a data plan?

That's not good.
    10-19-08 11:02 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Wifi is included to support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) with a data plan.

Without the data plan, only the Browser can use Wifi, none of the email or message functions will work.

What about unlock blackberry? Owner still needs a data plan?
    10-19-08 11:05 AM
    Yes. Unlocking the device lets you use alternate carriers SIM cards, but it does not give you access to BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

BIS is required for email, IM applications, Internet Browsing and nearly all third party applications.

I used my Curve Wifi only for quite a while before my carrier introduced a rate plan I can live with.

With a Wifi Browser, you can use web based email, Google's Gmail for example. Make iGoogle your home page you can include Gmail. It works well, archiving or deleting are synchronized with the web based account.
    10-19-08 11:13 AM
    I have wifi and while never having used it as a stand alone client I believe it does speed up my connection with tmobile. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert.
    My wife has a 8110 Pearl (no wifi) and I have an 8120 with wifi, and I just tested it in our home (both of us loading CNN mobile page). It took hers 9 seconds to load the page, and mine 4, so wifi is definitly faster than EDGE.
    10-19-08 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD