Sorry but I had to ask.

I've searched and read several threads and articles about cell phone tracking. I'm still a bit confused. I do understand the "Location On" setting locks your position and the "e911" setting locks to the closes cell tower. So I ask for clarity...

If someone(any Joe blow) has your cell phone number, can they track your every move by? In what ways? All they have is your cell number(no hidden software installed on your cell phone).

I know "big brother" or your cell phone company call track you when needed, but again, I'm talking about any average person with a computer/internet website/software/etc.

Thanks
    06-15-10 08:49 AM
    They can, but you have to let them.
    Obviously law enforcement and e911 will have access as needed (when you call 911, it goes into emergency mode, and will broadcast location), and law enforcement can get a warrent to gain this info.

YOU can make it easy for people, by activating products like "Google Latitude" found in the popular "Google Maps" but you can also control who can and can't see you. If you are worried about your privacy, staying away from products like FourSquare and BriteKite is a good idea. Just knowing a phone number won't grant anything to a user as far as your location.
    06-15-10 09:16 AM
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking but I wanted to be clear about it. I wasn't worried about someone tracking me or anything. I simply wanted to know if it was possible...(by folks other than "BIG BROTHER" aka government type agencies.) I did see Google Latitude a while ago and understands how I works. I don't plan on enabling it or any other program like it. Not my cup of tea.

But on another note...Its does seems a bit scary if someone with bad intentions were able track anyone they choose. Like a crazy boyfriend or ****..even a crazy girlfriend in this day and age...LOL

Thanks again
    06-15-10 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD