My work swapped us managers to BB curves. but for the longest time, we didn't have BIS.. So last week I get this notification on my phone that my BIS account is now active.. So I go through the process and set up my corporate email no problem.

My question is.. can I have a BIS account w/o there being a data package associated with it?

This is w/ AT&T if that matters...

TIA..

Rockdog
    12-16-09 04:20 PM
    No, anytime you swich out to a blackberry(even from one blackberry to a blackberry) att now requires a data package on all data devices and will add one if there isn't one on your account. There are people with data devices that don't have a data plan and can stay that way but if they change devices, change a sim, or upgrade to data device it will go on.
    12-16-09 04:45 PM
    well this is a corporate account, but we dont have BES... so I'm assuming that the addition of the BIS account, which took a few months to add, also includes a data plan..

We've had our phones for several months now and when we made the switch (about 30 BBs total for the company) I'm not sure if they had to active separate BIS accounts for each phone or not. As I mentioned, wihin the past 2 weeks is when I saw a notice come across my phone that my BIS account was (just) now active...
    12-17-09 10:29 AM
    I'm going to assume that if you have BIS, that = DATA. Otherwise, how does the DATA get to your device?
    12-17-09 03:22 PM
    Yes it sounds like you now have data, but I would advise you to double check with your IT department.
    12-17-09 03:34 PM
    I believe AT&T would automatically add a data plan to your blackberry regardless, that's part of their terms&conditions of using a smartphone on their network. Without a data plan, you're not allowed to use a smartphone on AT&T!
    12-17-09 08:49 PM
    I believe AT&T would automatically add a data plan to your blackberry regardless, that's part of their terms&conditions of using a smartphone on their network. Without a data plan, you're not allowed to use a smartphone on AT&T!
    That cannot be true. From January 2009 until two weeks ago, I had an 8820 on ATT with no data plan. I was 1.5 years into my contract in January when I bought my 8820 off ebay. The phone preceding the 8820 was a samsung sync with no data plan. ATT still allowed me to make calls even though I had no data plan.
    12-17-09 08:54 PM
    The required data plan started in September. If you didn't have a data plan before, you were not required to add one. It is for all phones activated after the start date of the requirement.
    12-17-09 11:12 PM
    That cannot be true. From January 2009 until two weeks ago, I had an 8820 on ATT with no data plan. I was 1.5 years into my contract in January when I bought my 8820 off ebay. The phone preceding the 8820 was a samsung sync with no data plan. ATT still allowed me to make calls even though I had no data plan.
    Irregardless. What happens is that any phone that is capable of using data will have to have a data plan as the system pulls the IEMI number of the phone. So as of Sept 2009, all smart phones were required to carry a data plan, and customers were given to the end of Oct to cancel a data plan on their smart phones through AT&T.

So yeah, 1.5 years with no data plan was fine then, but not now. Its required now.
    12-17-09 11:18 PM
    i don;t get it - BIS= Data,or am I missing something.
    12-18-09 02:26 AM
    Irregardless. What happens is that any phone that is capable of using data will have to have a data plan as the system pulls the IEMI number of the phone. So as of Sept 2009, all smart phones were required to carry a data plan, and customers were given to the end of Oct to cancel a data plan on their smart phones through AT&T.

So yeah, 1.5 years with no data plan was fine then, but not now. Its required now.

This is simply NOT true... please dont post this erroneous information. If you had a contract/BB before the Sept 2009 deadline, then they dont require you to nor do the automatically add the data plan. Anything AFTER Sept 2009 then yes.... but NOT for prior contracts.
    12-18-09 04:43 PM
    Ok.. so we're deviating of my original topic.

The question I had was CAN you have a BIS account and NOT have a data plan or does BIS=data plan...

I'd think that having a BIS account would be the same as having a data plan.
    12-18-09 04:45 PM
    Some international carriers have separate plans for e-mail and Internet, which would include the possibility of having BIS without a data plan. However, no US carriers (at least the major ones) offer such an option. BIS=data plan in the US with a major carrier (AT&T, VZW, Sprint, T-Mobile).
    12-18-09 07:33 PM
    Why would your company buy blackberries without data plans? Am I missing something?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-09 07:39 PM
    The company switched from Nextel to AT&T to save $$$ and we signed up for their PTT feature. For switching to their phones, AT&T threw in 30 free 8310's. I dont know what the details were or if the company discussed with AT&T any sort of useage, etc, but I do know I had to do some research regarding BIS vs BES, etc.. It had to do more with getting the phones for free.

If BIS=Data Plan, for corporate users, are there any plans other than 'unlimited' plans for BBs?
    12-19-09 09:36 PM
    BIS=Data, but it's possible your company has some kind of special deal with ATT. I urge you to check with your IT people, but it sounds like you now have data.
    12-19-09 09:52 PM
    Thanks Rich. will do..
    12-19-09 10:03 PM
    congrats on your free blackberry plus BIS!
    12-19-09 10:13 PM
    ^^ yeah no doubt! it's funny carrying two BBs: 8310 for work and my personal 9000.. switching between the two throughout the day is weird too- going from the 8310 to the 9000 makes the Bold seem HUGE..
    12-20-09 08:39 AM
    Ok.. so we're deviating of my original topic.

The question I had was CAN you have a BIS account and NOT have a data plan or does BIS=data plan...

I'd think that having a BIS account would be the same as having a data plan.
    Answering the question - BIS = DATA. If you have BIS then you have data.
    12-20-09 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD