If this has been answered before, please point me in the right direction. I picked up my curve and had to get unlimited internet to get the rebate. That is BIS as far as I understand. I just set up a BES on the corp server and am wondering now when I browse from my bb am I using the BIS or BES? Should I be able to cancel my internet through the carrier and stick with the BES and not be charged for data?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-08 01:22 PM
    No. A blackberry without a data plan is nothing more than a cell phone.

You have a BES server on your corporate network, but how do you think your phone communicates with it?

Whether you are using BES or BIS is irrelevant. The fact is that you need to connect through your provider to get access to the server at the other end in order to get your information. The carrier is the conduit between your phone and the server, whether that server be the BIS server or your company's BES server.

Bear in mind that there are different levels of data plans that the providers have. Verizon for example has a few different ones... some for just web and mail traffic, and some for higher capacity full access with unlimited data. You might be able to go to a lower plan, but you'll still need some form of data connection.
    05-12-08 02:43 PM
    I do quite a bit of browsing and such, I think I'll stick with my unlimited plan. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-08 03:30 PM
    You use BES on the same phone? Because it's there aren't two different plans on your account. If you were set up with BES, then you automatically get BIS service, but it's not like an addition.

When you use the browser, you are using "Blackberry Data." It is all considered one. BES and BIS is the difference between whether it's setup through your company or through RIM.
    05-12-08 11:21 PM
    You use BES on the same phone? Because it's there aren't two different plans on your account. If you were set up with BES, then you automatically get BIS service, but it's not like an addition.

When you use the browser, you are using "Blackberry Data." It is all considered one. BES and BIS is the difference between whether it's setup through your company or through RIM.
    Yes, I use BES on the same phone. We are a small corporation and I have a personal account with unlimited data on AT&T. I have set up BlackBerry Unite! on the server. I thought that Unite! acted the same as a real BES but for 5 or less users.
    05-13-08 10:31 AM
    Blackberry Unite needs at least a BIS plan through your carrier to work properly. Having Unite works like BES, but it's not BES. You don't need a BES plan through your carrier to use it (which is nice b/c the BIS plan is cheaper).
    05-13-08 02:32 PM
    Blackberry Unite needs at least a BIS plan through your carrier to work properly. Having Unite works like BES, but it's not BES. You don't need a BES plan through your carrier to use it (which is nice b/c the BIS plan is cheaper).
    Flurrycat, can you confirm where you got this information from? I'm currently on a corporate plan (not on a BES) and recently installed and am using Blackberry Unite at home. I would like to transfer to new Rogers Data Plans which were recently released but they are only for BIS users. I don't want to transfer over, only to find out I have a great data plan with no Unite server access.

Please advise.
    06-23-08 05:32 PM
    06-23-08 05:44 PM
    Thanks for the quote but I know what the difference between BIS and BES is. (I've managed numerous corporate BES servers over the years). My question is this:

Does the application "Blackberry Unite" generate only BIS or BES traffic?

If it's BIS traffic only, then I can move to a BIS only Rogers Data plan. If it's BES traffic only, then I have to stay on my BIS/BES data plan.
    06-23-08 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD