Hi all,
    I trying to get some information about blackberrys as I am thinking to purchase the Bold.

But: My carrier does not (and will not) provide a Blackberry Bold or any Blackberry services.

So, I was unable to find an answers to my questions:
    - Is it possible to have push mail without a BES?
    - Can I surf the internet? Again,

I just have a simple data plan. Do I need a provider for BIS or BES?

Regards,
    Jeran
    Last edited by jeran170; 06-11-08 at 06:37 AM.
    06-11-08 06:23 AM
    1) yes, you will/can still get gmail, yahoo, etc etc on your phone.
    2) Yes
    Welcome to CB!!!
    06-11-08 07:09 AM
    1) yes, you will/can still get gmail, yahoo, etc etc on your phone.
    2) Yes
    Welcome to CB!!!
    Thanks for the answers...

But the gmail stuff also via Push mail? For free? For a fee? Via blackberry?
    06-11-08 08:29 AM
    if it doesn't provide blackberry services as far as data goes (email, internet) you'll have to switch carriers.
    06-11-08 08:40 AM
    if it doesn't provide blackberry services as far as data goes (email, internet) you'll have to switch carriers.
    So, basically, I really need a carrier which is providing BIS? I cannot browse the internet and check emails with a simple data plan like I can do it via Wifi - or like on any other smartphone (nokia, sony, htc, ...)?

Strange things... However, thanks for the information
    06-13-08 02:27 AM
    So, basically, I really need a carrier which is providing BIS? I cannot browse the internet and check emails with a simple data plan like I can do it via Wifi - or like on any other smartphone (nokia, sony, htc, ...)?

Strange things... However, thanks for the information
    Exactly, if your current carrier offers NO BlackBerry services, you will need to switch to one that does..BlackBerry Plans are specific plans and therefore you will need a supported carrier.

Although..I am curious who your carrier is that they don't offer BlackBerry?
    06-13-08 02:41 AM
    Exactly, if your current carrier offers NO BlackBerry services, you will need to switch to one that does..BlackBerry Plans are specific plans and therefore you will need a supported carrier.

Although..I am curious who your carrier is that they don't offer BlackBerry?
    Well, it's a carrier in Austria. And in Austria, you only have 2 carriers who are providing blackberry services (out of 5).

And pricing is quite stupid in Austria regarding BIS. Currently I pay for my data plan 10 EUR for 250 MB (in fact, it is unlimited; speed is reduced from UMTS to GPRS, if I use more than 250 MB). If I want a BIS, I would pay 9 EUR base for 5 MB included - each additional MB will cost 0.80 EUR.

So, quite sad, no bold for me
    06-13-08 05:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD