I tried to search on google and found some 'should be' answer. Would anyone confirms that if BIS/IM-Messager traffic using WiFi is not chargeable?

I travel a lot and the BlackBerry roaming charges are quite illogical i.e. $10 for one MB, While at home base, it's only $40/unlimited. In some countries that I often visit charges as low as $ 15/unlimited (3GB).

If it is true that Wifi traffic are not chargeable by RIM/Operator, how do I ensure that the traffic goes to Wifi instead of Mobile when both connections are available? Ideally, when I'm at my room with WiFi coverage, I'd like to use Wifi instead of 3G or GSM/EDGE.

Thanks
    03-14-09 11:10 AM
    Using WIFI will not result in any charges from your operator...thats if your using your own personal WIFI ie at home. I use my WIFI at home for my BIS, BBM and browsing and havent as of yet been charged.

If your using a hotspot wifi then theres a pretty good chance that you might be charged for it...whether its by your provider or the place your at ie Starbucks for instance is an entirely different question.

As formaking sure it uses WIFI rather than 3G...well mine automatically connects as soon as i get into my house...the WIFI symbol should be white and not grey and when you open your browser...it should only show WIFI in the top right hand corner.
    03-14-09 11:23 AM
    I can confirm that BIS works over WiFi. I am able to send and retrieve email/PIN(BBM) messages through WiFi.
    03-14-09 11:53 AM
    and of course it will not charge any costs, even if you connect to a hot spot browser different than your home wifi... it's not logical what spawn12 said.. BIS on wifi is always free, how rim could check if you are using a home wifi or an hotspot from a bar or restaurant?

anyway, i confirm any BIS wifi is free, i travels a lot and when i use any wi fi downloading email or browsing is free... of course, yes!

d
    03-14-09 01:22 PM
    and of course it will not charge any costs, even if you connect to a hot spot browser different than your home wifi... it's not logical what spawn12 said.. BIS on wifi is always free, how rim could check if you are using a home wifi or an hotspot from a bar or restaurant?

anyway, i confirm any BIS wifi is free, i travels a lot and when i use any wi fi downloading email or browsing is free... of course, yes!

d
    spawn12 was talking about WiFi spots that require you to pay to use them with a BB or laptop...he never said that they charge your BIS
    what spawn12 said was entirely logical and factual
    03-14-09 04:49 PM
    spawn12 was talking about WiFi spots that require you to pay to use them with a BB or laptop...he never said that they charge your BIS
    what spawn12 said was entirely logical and factual
    i'm sorry, but if you read well he's telling that using BIS with your home wifi there are no charges BUT he added that:

"If your using a hotspot wifi then theres a pretty good chance that you might be charged for it...whether its by your provider or the place your at ie Starbucks for instance is an entirely different question."

of course that some hot spot asked for paying (using credit card ie).. but the question was if using BIS on a wifi (free wifi, as starbucks ie) it's a no charging service from your carrier..
    ogl's questions is very clear: "BIS/IM-Messager traffic using WiFi is not chargeable?" ,at least, i understood that.. so the info of spawn12 it's not true and not logical...

all the world know that some hot spots are fee and some are not free... user ongl was asking if wi-fi it charges cost to BIS service.. and the only answer is 'NO'...

d
    Last edited by electro_sound; 03-14-09 at 06:02 PM.
    03-14-09 05:57 PM
    I'm not able to use BIS over WiFi. How can I do that?
    02-15-11 02:07 AM
    I'm not able to use BIS over WiFi. How can I do that?
    If you cannot use BIS over WIFI, there could be 2 of following reasons:
    1. You don't have BIS
    2. You have BIS, but your wireless service provider doesn't allow you to use BIS over WIFI. As you know that use BIS over WIFI will not deduct your data bandwidth, and thus the service provider cannot charge you on data basis. Some providers (including mine) don't allow users to use BIS over WIFI.

I found that there is one service book WIFI TCP/IP Transport exists in the list of SB but doesn't have gateway. If you can find a way to fill in the value for that SB, I guess you can use it.
    12-27-11 09:51 PM
    Why wouldn't a service provider allow BIS over wifi? Is it a security concern?
    12-27-11 09:57 PM
    here in Romania, Vodafone doesn't give by default acces to bis over wi-fi. but if you call them, they activate for you for free the access. they call this: provisioning the number corectly in all Vodafone applications. don't know what exactly means but i'm glad that now io have those small bb 4 dots near my wifi icon and not near the 3G icon...
    my personal opinion is that all operators should give free access to bis over wifi, esspecialy when you are in roaming. cheers to all.
    02-26-12 02:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD