I'm trying to set up my work account ([email protected]) and can't get it to work. Has anyone gotten an OWA account to work on their BIS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 05:21 PM
    I do believe there are configurations that prevent it from working. I know that if the logon screen is not the default it can interfere.

Here at work I can't get ours to link up, but my personal Exchange 2007 account with 1and1 works great via OWA.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but you might want to check that what you want to do is even kosher with Lockheed. Gi
    04-02-09 05:24 PM
    Following these instructions. Make sure you use https:// vs http:// for the Exchange servers address.
    04-02-09 05:43 PM
    I do believe there are configurations that prevent it from working. I know that if the logon screen is not the default it can interfere.

Here at work I can't get ours to link up, but my personal Exchange 2007 account with 1and1 works great via OWA.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but you might want to check that what you want to do is even kosher with Lockheed. Gi
    I've read on various forums about some people getting their OWA account to work on BIS, and some were unable to. I guess it's luck.

Do you host your own exchange server, or 'rent' one? I've been thinking about setting up an exchange server for personal use because of the calendar and contacts instantly syncing.
    04-02-09 06:17 PM
    Following these instructions. Make sure you use https:// vs http:// for the Exchange servers address.
    Yes, thanks. That's one of the mistakes I just found out I've been making. Hopefully it'll work tomorrow.
    04-02-09 06:18 PM
    Yep I use OWA and it works very well..

I also back in the day forgot the Https
    04-02-09 06:27 PM
    Yes, thanks. That's one of the mistakes I just found out I've been making. Hopefully it'll work tomorrow.
    Unless your company blocks access to the exchange server via BIS following those instructions should get you going. Make sure you use the same username/password required to access the OWA website for your company and pay attention to the mailbox name like is shown on the link I provided.
    Last edited by LondoJowo; 04-02-09 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
    04-02-09 06:47 PM
    Unless your company blocks access to the exchange server via BIS following those instructions should get you going. Make sure you use the same username/password required to access the OWA website for your company and pay attention to the mailbox name like is shown on the link I provided.
    Yes, I noticed that with the mailbox name. I'm still not sure that I used the right mailbox name.

Thanks LondoJowo for the link!
    04-02-09 07:41 PM
    No problem, good luck with setting up your work email.
    04-02-09 08:16 PM
    No problem, good luck with setting up your work email.
    I hope so too. I'll post my results tomorrow.

Off topic, but what's involved in setting up my own exchange server? Is ot something that i can host off my own computer?
    04-02-09 08:31 PM
    For Exchange 2003, you'll need Windows server 2003, 32 or 64 bit

For Exchange 2007, you'll need a 64 bit system and OS.

Windows Server will set you back a few hundred. Exchange about 1K.

Your ISP may frown on you having an open port 25. They may actively block it as well.

Keep in mind that unless you have your own domain, you would need a POP connector. There are a few for E2K3, I don't think any are available for E2K7. They tend to be flaky as well.
    04-03-09 11:38 AM
    By domain do you mean a website, or a domain specifically for e-mailing?

How do Windows Server and Microsoft Exchange differ? Is server the OS and exchange the program that hosts it?
    04-03-09 01:15 PM
    How did you make out on getting you OWA account to work?
    04-03-09 04:55 PM
    How did you make out on getting you OWA account to work?
    Well, it didn't work. I've had a few e-mails from BlackBerry go to my work e-mail as I was trying to set it up saying the configuration was invalid. I came to the conclusion that it's blocked from going to BIS, so I'm going to set it up to automatically forward to another e-mail address...has anyone done this, and how did it work for you? The instructions looked rather easy, I'm just wondering how well it works. Also, if I reply to an e-mail that got automatically forwarded from my work account, I can set it up so that when I reply from my BlackBerry it'll say it came from my work account, right?
    04-04-09 02:56 PM
    By domain do you mean a website, or a domain specifically for e-mailing?

How do Windows Server and Microsoft Exchange differ? Is server the OS and exchange the program that hosts it?
    email domain. You may aor may not use it for a website, but it would need a mail DNS record that points to your home IP. Then you need to accept inbound port 25 connections. Most ISPs block port inbound port 25 connections.

As well, your home IP address is dynamic. 2 issues with that. 1) it may change, requiring a change in your DNS MX record. 2) a lot of mail services simply reject mail coming form dynamic addresses as the majority of it is SPAM.

Windows Server is the OS. Exchange is the mail software. You need both to setup a mail server.
    04-06-09 08:24 AM
    Or if you use ISA to load balance/secure traffic. That still doesnt work
    04-06-09 09:13 AM
    email domain. You may aor may not use it for a website, but it would need a mail DNS record that points to your home IP. Then you need to accept inbound port 25 connections. Most ISPs block port inbound port 25 connections.

As well, your home IP address is dynamic. 2 issues with that. 1) it may change, requiring a change in your DNS MX record. 2) a lot of mail services simply reject mail coming form dynamic addresses as the majority of it is SPAM.

Windows Server is the OS. Exchange is the mail software. You need both to setup a mail server.
    Thanks for explaining that to me. It seems more involved then I thought.

Any idea why the ISP's block port 25?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 12:02 PM
    So people cant host mail servers
    04-06-09 12:03 PM
    Thanks for the link above, I am going to try this will my college's e-mail address tonight.
    04-06-09 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD