Contrary to what some people are posting, BIS does NOT reconcile Gmail read and unread status:

Email accounts that you can integrate with BlackBerry Internet Service 2.x and the reconciliation features available with those accounts.

I think when they say it does reconcile or sync they're talking about deleted emails, and not read ones.
    06-18-08 09:45 PM
    I may be wrong but I thought read status would reconcile when using IMAP settings and not with POP settings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 09:51 PM
    While BlackBerry devices can be connected to IMAP mail servers, they don't support IMAP features.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-18-08 at 10:23 PM. Reason: clarification
    06-18-08 10:20 PM
    While BlackBerry devices can be connected to IMAP mail servers, they don't support IMAP features.
    Which features are you referring to?
    06-18-08 10:30 PM
    You can force BIS to set up GMail over IMAP, which will make it reconcile read and unread status. Delete your GMail account from BIS. Then when you re-add it, put in your address but not your password. Tell it you will put in the settings manually, then fill out the fields with the server info.

The downside is that IMAP over BIS isin't instantaneous, expect delays of up to 15 minutes.
    06-19-08 07:55 AM
    It still won't support IMAP features like access to anything but your inbox, moving items between folders, etc.
    06-19-08 09:40 AM
    The downside is that IMAP over BIS isin't instantaneous, expect delays of up to 15 minutes.

This is why I use POP to configure my BIS Gmail. I have my GMail pushed through BIS using POP so I'm notified instantly. If I respond to a message, I just open the GMail app and do it from there. Keeps it nice and simple and I get instant notifications.
    06-19-08 09:40 AM
    I have my GMail configured to IMAP, and the read status of messages isn't being propagated to my BB.
    06-24-08 10:05 AM
    I have my GMail configured to IMAP, and the read status of messages isn't being propagated to my BB.
    It won't.... hence the title of my thread...
    06-24-08 01:50 PM
    Hopefully down the road they will add true imap and push support. Right now I just use pop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 04:17 PM
    yeh, i just noticed that, that you have to read the emails on your handheld and on the server. kind of rediculous, but hopefully BB will allow full IMAP support later on
    07-01-08 01:39 PM
    Email deleted on the Blackberry isn't deleted from the server either. Disappointing.
    07-01-08 01:54 PM
    yeh this wouldnt be that hard to fix. I dont know if its on BB's end or gmail, but whosever end it is on, then they need to take a look at it
    07-02-08 11:19 AM
    This is why I use POP to configure my BIS Gmail. I have my GMail pushed through BIS using POP so I'm notified instantly. If I respond to a message, I just open the GMail app and do it from there. Keeps it nice and simple and I get instant notifications.
    you can also just set your Gmail msgs to fwd to your BB addy. seems to be a little bit quicker to me, with the same end result. but whatevuh floats ur boat.

nice avatar Kinetic
    07-02-08 12:24 PM
    Email deleted on the Blackberry isn't deleted from the server either. Disappointing.
    Yes it is. You just don't have it set up properly. Setting up your BB to work with Gmail IMAP will give you everything that setting up your BB with Gmail POP will, except for emails take between 1-15 minutes to reach you. The up side, is that you can configure it to sync deleted items, sent items, etc. If you delete and email or read an email on your BB, it instantly syncs to the server, and reflects it in Outlook or the web. If you do the reverse, and delete an email from the server, it will still sync with your BB... but it might take up to about an hour.

Do a search for the instructions on how to set it up, but I think the main thing you are missing are the setting son the actual BB to allow this to all work. You have to go into the mail settings on the BB and change it.
    07-02-08 12:27 PM
    Yes it is. ...

Do a search for the instructions on how to set it up, but I think the main thing you are missing are the setting son the actual BB to allow this to all work. You have to go into the mail settings on the BB and change it.
    I believe you'll find that while the deleted emails don't show up in the standard inbox view, if you view all emails, the ones deleted from your BB will show up as white (not read) in that view.
    07-02-08 02:36 PM
    What is the advantage of using BIS/BB email over using googles mobile email app directly? I have the "Mail by Google" app, with notifications set, and it works well.
    07-02-08 04:43 PM
    What is the advantage of using BIS/BB email over using googles mobile email app directly? I have the "Mail by Google" app, with notifications set, and it works well.
    The BB is supposed to be an email device. Using a 3rd party program for email seems to me to defeat the purpose.
    07-02-08 04:46 PM
    One thing I don't like about the Gmail app is it doesn't support using your Blackberry contacts for sending messages (not that I've found anyway). Also, if you have two Gmail accounts like I do, I'd have to log out of one account to log in to the other using the Gmail app... with BIS I don't have to do that.
    07-08-08 09:32 AM
    Crackberry Newb here.

I was planning on going the same route as you. What type of notifications can you set? Sound? Light flashing? Icon?
    07-08-08 11:20 AM
    The thing I don't like about the Gmail Mobile App is that it's not push. It checks for email about every 20 minutes or so, you can't send attachments, and you can't view full HTML messages. It is nice to have access to all of your labels and folders though. So it's a trade-off. If google ever puts in support for sending attachments and full HTML, I will ditch BIS.
    02-25-09 08:51 AM
    The BB is supposed to be an email device. Using a 3rd party program for email seems to me to defeat the purpose.
    problem is BBs integration with other services is so carry. RIM needs to wake up and realize people these days dont ONLY use their corporate email, most people also have personal accounts on services like yahoo and gmail and such. They NEED to integrate these services better and actually allow folder sync and all of those features of IMAP if they expect to be competitive in the consumer area what so ever.
    02-25-09 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD