Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cjcampbell
  1. ruzpuz's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default BIS to BES transition

    Hello all,

    I'm switching to BES Express, and there are some issues before i do that. Now i have my phone book synced to google, as well as a gmail account. So, i have a couple of noobish questions.
    - When activating BES will i lose my current settings from phone?
    - Will I be able to sync contacts with both bes and google contacts (that would be ok form me)?
    - Can i have mail from exchange with bes coexisting with gmail?
    - Since bes can controll everything on my phone, will I have to manually install every app i have right now or it will remain as it is (if not explicitly said opposite in some rule on bes)?

    If I remember anything else, I will ask
  2. cjcampbell's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,803 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,807 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I can't be of any help, although some here may. The question I have for you, however, is why haven't you contacted RIM for these answers?
  3. ruzpuz's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    I can't be of any help, although some here may. The question I have for you, however, is why haven't you contacted RIM for these answers?
    Because I estimated that here I will get a quicker solution. Yes before doing anything I will be contacting RIM, but here i see a lot of bb addicts, some of them are bes administrators, it kinda looked like good place to seek info
  4. Frosty_Power's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    551 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruzpuz View Post
    Hello all,

    I'm switching to BES Express, and there are some issues before i do that. Now i have my phone book synced to google, as well as a gmail account. So, i have a couple of noobish questions.
    - When activating BES will i lose my current settings from phone?
    - Will I be able to sync contacts with both bes and google contacts (that would be ok form me)?
    - Can i have mail from exchange with bes coexisting with gmail?
    - Since bes can controll everything on my phone, will I have to manually install every app i have right now or it will remain as it is (if not explicitly said opposite in some rule on bes)?

    If I remember anything else, I will ask

    I switched from BIS to BES Express last year and it went well.
    - You will not loose any settings from your phone or any apps.
    - n/a(I don't know cause I don't sync google contacts)
    - Yes you can have exchange mail coexist with every email account.
    - No need to manually install every app again. It will remain as is.
    My IT dept set it up, sent me a link to BES with password and setup went flawlessly. Nothing changed settings wise for me. Hope this helps.
    No need whatsoever to contact RIM.
    7230>7780>8700>8100>8300>9000>8900>9700>9800>9860> 9900>Z10>Q10
    Currently a new Z30, the best phone I've ever had hands down.
    Several iPhones, Androids, and WP in between.
    Thanked by:
    ruzpuz (01-16-2013) 
  5. cjcampbell's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,803 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,807 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruzpuz View Post
    Because I estimated that here I will get a quicker solution. Yes before doing anything I will be contacting RIM, but here i see a lot of bb addicts, some of them are bes administrators, it kinda looked like good place to seek info
    That's a fair answer
    ruzpuz likes this.
  6. ruzpuz's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty_Power View Post
    I switched from BIS to BES Express last year and it went well.
    - You will not loose any settings from your phone or any apps.
    - n/a(I don't know cause I don't sync google contacts)
    - Yes you can have exchange mail coexist with every email account.
    - No need to manually install every app again. It will remain as is.
    My IT dept set it up, sent me a link to BES with password and setup went flawlessly. Nothing changed settings wise for me. Hope this helps.
    No need whatsoever to contact RIM unless your IT guys have no idea what they are doing(which I doubt).
    Thank you so much. That leaves only one open question
    Will I be able to sync contacts with both bes and google contacts?

    My best guess is that answer is yes, but I would still want to hear someone that knows a bit better than me....

    Edit: Our IT guys are not what is worrying me. It is only me, considering transition of my family and close people to BES. So in past month I've been reading tons of documentation, not to screw anything up.
    Last edited by ruzpuz; 01-16-2013 at 11:33 PM.
  7. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruzpuz View Post
    Thank you so much. That leaves only one open question
    Will I be able to sync contacts with both bes and google contacts?

    My best guess is that answer is yes, but I would still want to hear someone that knows a bit better than me....

    Edit: Our IT guys are not what is worrying me. It is only me, considering transition of my family and close people to BES. So in past month I've been reading tons of documentation, not to screw anything up.
    Article Number: KB19269
    Article Title: What is Google Mail contact synchronization
    Article Link: KB19269-What is Google Mail contact synchronization

    Particularly, "If the BlackBerry smartphone is also associated with an email address that uses a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the contact list on the BlackBerry smartphone will contain contacts from both the Google Mail address and contacts from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server email address. BlackBerry smartphone users cannot synchronize contacts between their Google Mail address and the BlackBerry Enterprise Server email address."
  8. ruzpuz's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Ok, this is confusing me... On my phone there are n contacts... and, if i activate enterprise, those contacts will not be synced with bes because im syncing them to google mail contacts?
    If i create new contact on my phone that contact will be synced with what service?

    Edit: think i get it, those will be separate contact lists?

Similar Threads

  1. BIS to BES
    By BigDaddy27 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 09:11 AM
  2. switch from BIS to BES
    By itwanmgr in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 03:01 AM
  3. Moving from BIS to BES on Verizon?
    By fpnunes in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xx
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
  4. Switching from BIS to BES
    By ywbyun in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xx
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
  5. Error trying to switch from BIS to BES
    By deltron612 in forum BlackBerry 8830 WE
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions