Does anyone else think that BlackBerry should bring back BIS for BB10. Enterprise server grade security for consumers consisting of secure email, eBBM and ecrypted BBM voice and videos calls. Maybe rebrand under a different name: BlackBerry ghost, BlackBerry shield or... sorry that's all I have. Thoughts and better naming suggestions.
    08-03-14 11:45 PM
    BIS as we used to know it is dead. Period.

But what you suggest is close to what I myself said back when they announced that BIS would no longer be necessary: Make BIS a pack of Blackberry services (at the time BBM Music, BB Protect, Encryption, Cloud Backup).

As it is now, we could have eBBM, BB Protect, Encrypted Calls, Encrypted Messages and Cloud Backup/Restore of PIM data.
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    08-03-14 11:55 PM
    BIS is and was NEVER secure. BlackBerry never said it was but lived happily with users and media saying so.

BlackBerry should instead launch secure end to end solutions for enterprises and consumers. Enterprise users should have more management features but otherwise they should be compatible.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 12:31 AM
    If I could have BIS on LTE I would pay for it. Only for the data compression reasons. Nothing to do with the perceived "security".I used to be at 1gb a month on legacy now I am at 3gb, which costs me $15 more. Would rather pay $5 for BIS and use less data then $15 more for the 3gb data.
    08-04-14 11:19 AM
    And that's why the phone companies don't support BlackBerry, bis can cut into their profits.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 11:57 AM
    BIS the direct reason for why BlackBerry never succeed in the consumer market. In Denmark at least.

People had little interest for trying something different, than they found out they had to pay like 30$ extra per month to be able to use internet, which you don't have to pay with Android and Apple.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and yessuz like this.
    08-04-14 01:09 PM
    And that's why the phone companies don't support BlackBerry, bis can cut into their profits.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know... I pay less with my current non BIS Z10, than I paid with my BIS enabled Torch.

Now to contribute to the thread, I will reply with my own thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...utions-794697/

Some information is out of date.
    Apple allows you to edit app permissions now, and BBM has been launched since the creation of the thread, but for free, instead of some $ a year.

That consumers scream for some of the things I mentioned was very probably a hyperbole.
    I underestimated how much consumers don't care about privacy/security.
    It is however of note, that the general knowledge about privacy and security issues has attained new heights since I posted the thread...
    So maybe there is still some hope in that regard.

I am sure though, that it is possible to monetize the services I mentioned.

Tldr:
    Read the thread. And yes, a new form of BIS, a BIS 2.0, that is device agnostic, would be a solution.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 02:02 PM
    I would guess that the acquisition of Secusmart kills any discussion of BIS as far as BlackBerry goes.
    08-04-14 02:12 PM
    BIS the direct reason for why BlackBerry never succeed in the consumer market. In Denmark at least.

People had little interest for trying something different, than they found out they had to pay like 30$ extra per month to be able to use internet, which you don't have to pay with Android and Apple.

Posted via CB10
    No, now they just pay 10 times more to the carrier directly.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 08-04-14 at 07:01 PM.
    08-04-14 02:15 PM
    BIS is and was NEVER secure. BlackBerry never said it was but lived happily with users and media saying so.

BlackBerry should instead launch secure end to end solutions for enterprises and consumers. Enterprise users should have more management features but otherwise they should be compatible.

Posted via CB10
    I know bis was never secure, sorry if I created confusion. What I meant was a BES version for consumers, a simple mobile management system/service for a family who would like to keep things (communications) secure, which is platform agnostic. Something like $15 for two phones and $5 for each additional. Maybe what I'm looking for is a vpn but I'm unsure if it would work for bbm and email. A consumer grade BES is what I'm really looking for. On a side note, has anyone dropped a carrier data plan? I was thinking that since bbm is my main form of communication with family, and since it doesn't use bis anymore (negating the need for the carrier as we can access bbm infrastructure through wifi) and since everywhere I use my device has wifi, I don't think I need it. Has anyone done this.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 06:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    From what I understand, BIS was usually cheaper overall than the standard generic data plan (mostly because most grandfathered BIS plans were unlimited). BIS+voice+SMS compared to generic data+voice+SMS back then was a better deal. Some times it would be downright cheater.

Anyway, the idea here is to have an extra service people would opt in and pay directly to BlackBerry.
    08-04-14 10:15 PM