From reading the forums there seems an awful lot of threads on BIS and email delay times. I find it frustrating that my mail takes 15 minutes to arrive but I understand that's the way BIS works.

I read the excellent article on how it works by Sith_Apprentice and that explained everything.

Sometimes my mail arrives in 15, other times in 3 but what I find frustrating is that it doesn't appear to be the case for everyone.

For example, I replied to a post the other day where I mentioned that Hotmail was instant but got told it wasn't instant at all. I have witnessed hotmail being instant on numerous occasions where I've emailed a colleague's personal hotmail email address from my computer or my BB only to hear the notification of it arriving on her BB within seconds of me sending it.

My Girlfriend's live.co.uk address is instant as well, again I have witnessed this yet I have another friend who has a live.co.uk address who gets his email about 15 minutes after it's sent.

Another colleague I work with has a work POP account exactly the same as one of mine. I set it up on his Blackberry for him using the exact same method I used to set up mine. Same mail server, his username and password obviously and not mine. Today I witnessed him get email on his BB instantly when I forwarded him messages from my laptop and yet his replies to me took about 9 minutes to get to my BB despite showing up in Outook instantly so I'm assuming that was the 15 minute check rule.

These are discrepancies that I've witnessed personally that seem to buck the trend.

I've also read posts on here of some people getting their POP mail as it hits their outlook inbox regularly. Some people say that they get IMAP email instantly, yet my IMAP email follows the 15 and 3 minute rules.

I've also read that if you use the carrier's blackberry email address that's instant but again for me that follows the 15 and 3 minute rules.

My personal observations and my readings on here tell me that BIS isn't as simple as POP mail takes 15 minutes and subsequent 3 minutes and IMAP is instant.

For example, the colleague with the POP account identical to mine is on the same mobile network as me, using the same model of handset as me yet his comes in instant and mine doesn't.

I understand that the speed of email delivery is also affected by the volume of email. Somebody who receives a lot of mail regularly is likely to retain the 3 minute checks rather than letting it go back to 15 minutes however to go back to my colleague, there was no delay. The message left my Outlook outbox and into my sent items and his phone notified him immediately of my mail each time so you couldn't even say it was retaining the 3 minute checks.

If BIS works by the 15 minute and 3 minute rule then that's fair enough but how some seem to follow this religiously and yet others get their mail instantly seems confusing to me.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences? Not comparing POP with gmail but like with like? POP with POP, IMAP with IMAP, hotmail with hotmail etc and any unexplained delivery time differences.
    08-21-09 07:58 PM
    My email notifications never take more than 10 seconds on my BlackBerry 8900 with BIS. I have 7
    Email addresses on Yahoo Google MSN and AOL and they all get the mail almost instantly. I have
    Tested them all and usually I get the email within 2 seconds but never has it been longer than
    10 or maybe 15 seconds at the most. Checking email every 15 minutes is not being pushed to the
    BlackBerry..its being fetched...I don't think that's he way the BlackBerry should be working.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 08:12 AM
    Gmail has always been a bit slow for me, live and yahoo were instant.
    I changed my own domain email to imap and now it takes 7 seconds. I'm with 1&1 Internet Ltd. - Home Page
    08-22-09 08:28 AM
    The BIS servers check every 15 minutes max. It is not being fetched by the device.
    08-22-09 08:46 AM
    I have a very light email load,maybe thirty a day, and it is pretty much instant. I use gmail.

08-22-09 08:51 AM
    BIS servers check every 15 minutes? Then why do I always get my email instantly pushed to my device? I have never had to wait that long for any email.
    If I had to wait 15 minutes then what would be the point of using BIS?

08-22-09 09:23 AM
    Unless you mean BIS checks "pop" servers every 15 minutes.......That I would understand. Since all my accounts are
    instant they must all be set to IMAP.....Gmail is the only one that I actually set as imap myself.

08-22-09 09:38 AM
    The only emails that arrive instantly on BIS are email servers which have IMAP_IDLE . Very few companies have this except google. But in due time..most of the large email companies will have them. Thats the closest thing you will have to BES. lol
    08-22-09 10:01 AM
    The only emails that arrive instantly on BIS are email servers which have IMAP_IDLE . Very few companies have this except google. But in due time..most of the large email companies will have them. Thats the closest thing you will have to BES. lol
    Evidently the moral of the story is to gmail then. It does pretty much suck that companies as large as MS and Yahoo cannot implement this functionality.
    08-22-09 12:28 PM
    I understand the IMAP_IDLE concept which makes messages instant like gmail does but how come the discrepancy of some people reporting their POP as instant and others not.

Or the other the discrepancy of my friend getting his POP mail instantly while I had to wait the 15 minutes to receive mine when they are both the same mail company and we both have the same handsets on the same network?
    08-22-09 01:23 PM
    My aol mail, msn mail and yahoo mail are all instant for me....I assume they're imap since this happens
    but I don't know. I do get all of them in under 15 seconds....I tested them all. If they were all checked
    every 15 minutes I would get email "clumps" from them.....this never happens...it is never a 15 minute
    wait.

08-22-09 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD