hello everyone! i recently purchased a blackberry torch 9800 and am loving it. when i popped in my sim, i received the blackberry registration message that my handheld is now registered on the network. i then set up three emails to be pushed to my bb using the email set up wizard and it's working flawlessly (except for the gmail messages not being deleted from the unified message folder -- which i have a separate thread about it). now reading threads after threads between here and other forums, i can't help but notice a lot of people talking about registering or they registered their BIS account online. i've searched for an answer for my question but didn't find one so i hope someone can enlighten my confusion:

is it necessary to create/register online at one's carrier-specific BIS portal on top of setting up emails directly from the device? or will that be redundant? what is the purpose of the account through the BIS portal?

thanks!
    08-19-10 01:59 PM
    Not required but strongly recommended. This way you can resend service books if necessary. You can also set up signatures etc. For me it is mostly a convenience issue. I recommend it for convenience's sake.
    08-19-10 02:05 PM
    thanks gizmo guy for your response. so since i've already set up my email accounts directly from my phone, i just create an account online. will i need to go through the email set up process or is there an option to skip it since i'm already set up from my device?

another thing, i've had a blackberry curve a few years ago (with the same carrier but a different line and that line is using a non-blackberry phone now) which when i did the email set up, routed me to the BIS website so i created an account then. is that BIS account registered only to that blackberry and i need to create a new one since it's for a different device and different line, or i can use the same username/account? i guess what i'm getting at is...is the BIS account device specific or line specific -- granted that it's already carrier-specific. thanks!
    08-19-10 02:42 PM
    If you log-on or created a BIS account, you can change it by changing the device
    based on the new PIN

From the BIS site:

"Change Device

To change to your new BlackBerry� device, your new device must be active with your wireless service provider. Complete the following steps:
    Note: The process is different if your device has a SIM Card.

I do not have a SIM card (CDMA devices)

To activate your new device, contact Verizon Wireless . Verify that your radio is turned on and that your device is connected to the wireless network.

Once your new device is activated and you are connected to the wireless network, click the Detect New Device button below to switch to your new device.

I have a SIM card

Insert your SIM card into your new device and verify that your device is connected to the wireless network.

Once your new device is activated and you are connected to the wireless network, click the Detect New Device button below to switch to your new device."
    08-19-10 04:27 PM
    If you log-on or created a BIS account, you can change it by changing the device
    based on the new PIN

From the BIS site:

"Change Device

To change to your new BlackBerry� device, your new device must be active with your wireless service provider. Complete the following steps:
    Note: The process is different if your device has a SIM Card.

I do not have a SIM card (CDMA devices)

To activate your new device, contact Verizon Wireless . Verify that your radio is turned on and that your device is connected to the wireless network.

Once your new device is activated and you are connected to the wireless network, click the Detect New Device button below to switch to your new device.

I have a SIM card

Insert your SIM card into your new device and verify that your device is connected to the wireless network.

Once your new device is activated and you are connected to the wireless network, click the Detect New Device button below to switch to your new device."
    Could not have said it better, myself. Thanks for helping.
    08-19-10 08:32 PM
    If you created a username and password when you went into the e-mail setup wizard, then you already created a BIS account.
    08-22-10 07:46 AM
    From your main messages folder, Menu/Options/Email Reconciliation. Select your Email account from the pull down box and make sure it is set to delete messages from Mailbox and Handheld. Hope I understood the problem correctly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD