I got word this morning that our facility's BIG Boss is getting a Berry. There are only a few people here who have them -- and mine is a personal BIS unit. Well long story short, his assistant saw me texting away one morning and passed on to the BIG Boss that I have a Berry. It seems that he is having a tough time figuring out how to use his device, and his assistant told him I would love to help him. Shoot, I'm only three years away from early retirement, why me ?!

Can you, my CrackBerry brothers and sisters, help me look good for the BIG Boss? I can get him going with all the stuff that is the same between BIS and BES, but are there any special things I need to know about BES Berries that I will need to show him? I do know he will want to open Office docs from email, will I need to help him find a 3rd party app to do this? I don't know which unit he's getting, but knowing him, it will be the most expensive one on the market that Sprint/Nextel (our official provider) offers. Any advice, or should I just get my affairs in order?
    08-27-08 09:23 AM
    Just share with him what you already know. Its not that complicated. I guess Im missing what the issue is.
    08-27-08 09:27 AM
    looks to me like a good way to get in tight with the big boss.....maybe just reference him to Crackberry!!
    08-27-08 09:30 AM
    I think he should bump you up a pay grade.

You have the daily useage covered, if you run into something BES specific that can not be answered, you know where to look.

MS office documents, attached to email will not be a problem, the Document viewer will work with nearly all business document formats.

It is read only, no editing options.

If he needs editing, you know where to find the v4.5 updates with DocsToGo.
    08-27-08 10:08 AM
    Just share with him what you already know. Its not that complicated. I guess Im missing what the issue is.
    There isn't really, Lex, I was trying to be funny as well as see if there were any issues with the 8330 BES as opposed to the 8320 BIS. The only real issue is that he is an old school chemical engineer from MIT and I am a enviro science guy from a state college. Something he reminds me of often, .
    Last edited by exelant; 08-27-08 at 10:22 AM.
    08-27-08 10:19 AM
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought BES berries were for companies that have multiple bb's on a network--if YOU have one and the BOSS has one, then all you have to do is teach him what you know, and point him to Crackberry......just being a BOSS isn't what puts him on BES, is it? Because if so, I need to tell MY boss about that--because in my company, she and I are the only ones with BBs
    08-27-08 03:58 PM
    OS 4.5 with docs to go should keep him happy for opening docs.
    08-27-08 04:12 PM
    If the corporate Berry count is <10 it is unlikely you will have BES in house, it ain't cost effective for most businesses. And it really needs a skilled administrator to drive the server and keep everything sweet. If you had BES in house El Boss would have known about BB long ago and got one for himself. Unless he goes to BES hosted by an external provider he will be on BIS.
    08-27-08 04:36 PM
    Dittos to asylvia. I give praise to a good friend of mine all the time for telling me about CB.
    08-27-08 05:30 PM
    I should explain - two words: municipal government. There are many berries issued to various department heads and bureaucrats in the city I work for. In my department, until now, our IT person - who is actually a city hall plant, was the only one with a BlackBerry. I own my own berry and would never in a million years let anyone in IT touch it.

I work in an independent wastewater department. We are a regional plant that serves a district of nearly 400,000 citizens, but my employer is a city of 35,000. For that reason, we must keep our finances and most functions separate as our rate payers are not citizens of the city and would be upset to fund city services they don't get such as parks or police and fire. It gets a little confusing, but modern facilities are too expensive for small governments to run efficiently and meet stringent federal and state regulations, so regional plants are the future of my industry.

Never the less, my city is big enough to have over 50 BlackBerries issued to different employees. It is simply that because my department is so isolated from the rest of the city, we are behind the times with respect to smart phones being issued to our employees. My boss has decided he wants a berry like the other city department heads. I am an operations manager, not someone who expects to teach an engineer how to use his phone - I have more important things to do like prevent pollution and protect your health. That last sentence is a good reason for me to point him to a competitor's website, .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-08 06:50 PM
    I should explain - two words: municipal government. There are many berries issued to various department heads and bureaucrats in the city I work for. In my department, until now, our IT person - who is actually a city hall plant, was the only one with a BlackBerry. I own my own berry and would never in a million years let anyone in IT touch it.

I work in an independent wastewater department. We are a regional plant that serves a district of nearly 400,000 citizens, but my employer is a city of 35,000. For that reason, we must keep our finances and most functions separate as our rate payers are not citizens of the city and would be upset to fund city services they don't get such as parks or police and fire. It gets a little confusing, but modern facilities are too expensive for small governments to run efficiently and meet stringent federal and state regulations, so regional plants are the future of my industry.

Never the less, my city is big enough to have over 50 BlackBerries issued to different employees. It is simply that because my department is so isolated from the rest of the city, we are behind the times with respect to smart phones being issued to our employees. My boss has decided he wants a berry like the other city department heads. I am an operations manager, not someone who expects to teach an engineer how to use his phone - I have more important things to do like prevent pollution and protect your health. That last sentence is a good reason for me to point him to a competitor's website, .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So? did the berry get ISSUED to him, or did he buy it? Because, again, unless I am wrong, he doesn't HAVE to put his personal berry on the BES, unless he wants to us USE it for work......

And frankly, you sound like you think quite a bit of yourself with the "I have better things to do" line. I mean, what's the DOWN side of helping your boss?
    08-28-08 08:59 AM
    Find out which model he will get and go to BlackBerry and find the 101demo video. Here's the one for the 8310 101 Demonstrator for the BlackBerry� 8310� Smartphone.. It's slick and highly boss orientated.

Keep him away from Crackberry but feed him printouts from JUST THE TEXT of our 101s, FAQ, etc. This will make you look good. You can do this via email or hardcopy.

Find out from your IT dept. if you already have BES. My guess is that you do not otherwise the boss would be talking to the BES supervisor and not you.

In the Newbies section there's a tutorial on the difference between BIS and BES Lecture 2: BES and BIS: What&#039;s the Difference? | CrackBerry.com.

I too am nearly 63 so here's my final advise.
    - clean you shoes
    - do your fly zip up
    AND SMILE

We can answer ANY question that he asks and people like JeffH are BES users and they can tell you all you need to know.

Good luck.
    08-28-08 09:18 AM
    looks to me like a good way to get in tight with the big boss.....maybe just reference him to Crackberry!!
    lol don't reference him to hear then he will see your on here all the time

Nah it's good to get new people on the addiction.
    08-28-08 09:22 AM
    Yeah...now that I think about it...I don't think I want my boss on here seeing my name and posts.
    08-28-08 09:30 AM
    just change your name to something he would never be able to figure out, and delete all your personal info. do it now while your post count is still low, haha
    08-28-08 09:45 AM
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought BES berries were for companies that have multiple bb's on a network--if YOU have one and the BOSS has one, then all you have to do is teach him what you know, and point him to Crackberry......just being a BOSS isn't what puts him on BES, is it? Because if so, I need to tell MY boss about that--because in my company, she and I are the only ones with BBs
    In large corporations, the BES server may be at the corporate HeadQuarters

This means that the "higher-ups" in your branch may have Berries running of of BES, but not the employees. For example, in Exelant's case... he is using a personal BlackBerry on BIS (not company supplied). His boss has a Berry on BES through corporate (or however their company works).
    08-28-08 10:00 AM
    Thanks Pete and yester. He did get an 8330 -- it was issued to him by our employer and is on our BES. I am pretty comfortable showing him how to use his device -- and I will ask the BES people questions if anything comes up. I have come a long way this summer with CrackBerry's help and am confident I will have him up to speed in no time. I like to help people figure things out.

Dlgus, I was just trying to get a funny thread going, nothing more. I am embarrassed that I gave you that impression of me. With texts one cannot see an expression or hear a tone of voice, so I guess things written can easily be misunderstood. I sincerely hope your impression of me is not accurate. In my industry, we in operations often tease engineers and they usually play along. I work closely with the engineers who design and manage our facilities. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them; they are the most intelligent people I know.

As someone who started out on the lowest rung and worked my way up, my opinion of myself is actually quite tenuous. I keep waiting for them to find out I am an imposter masquerading as someone who knows what he is doing -- and get bounced out the door. I often mask my self doubt with bravado, and I think that is what you saw in the post. I guess I try too hard, and I have a tendency to inflate my place in the world. I am sorry and will try to be more careful in the future
    Last edited by exelant; 08-28-08 at 12:22 PM.
    08-28-08 10:28 AM
    i have the best idea ever.

recommend he hires me as a consultant. i fly in, do a 2 week training course plus setup, and even do a feasibility study on implementing and deploying devices amongst all upper management and provide cost benefit analysis.

you become a hero without any sweat off your back, and they could benefit in the long run with a more streamlined and effective communications system.
    08-28-08 12:13 PM
    i have the best idea ever.

recommend he hires me as a consultant. i fly in, do a 2 week training course plus setup, and even do a feasibility study on implementing and deploying devices amongst all upper management and provide cost benefit analysis.

you become a hero without any sweat off your back, and they could benefit in the long run with a more streamlined and effective communications system.
    Let me see if I can get that through on my purchasing card and get back to you.

LMAO!
    08-28-08 12:20 PM
    Let me see if I can get that through on my purchasing card and get back to you.

LMAO!
    nah... suggest it to your boss that you have a fool proof plan... to hire a fool.
    08-28-08 12:30 PM
    nah... suggest it to your boss that you have a fool proof plan... to hire a fool.
    you cant be that big of a fool you have a Berry!!!!
    08-28-08 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD