Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree3Likes
  1. lcooksey's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Angry Beware: Don't use a BIS email as your BlackBerry ID

    I was trying to change my BlackBerry ID password today via the BlackBerry website, but I did something wrong because now neither my original nor my new password work. I then tried the reset option, where they email you a link to reset the password. But I never got the email.

    When you use the Reset Password page, per this KB article,
    KB26361-How to reset a BlackBerry ID password

    A confirmation message will display "A password reset email has been sent to email@domain.com", at which point, a reset email will be delivered to the BlackBerry ID email address.

    Note: For security purposes, this reset email will NOT be delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone.

    So if your BlackBerry ID is an email address which only goes to your smartphone (I used my Verizon BIS address) you can't get the email with the link you need click. Oops.

    I just spent an hour on the phone with tech support. They're going to reset my BlackBerry ID password manually and either call me or email it to a different address. In the meantime, I can't get online with my PlayBook, because it keeps prompting me for a password.

    I'd start over with a new BlackBerry ID if it wasn't for all the apps I've purchased for my phone. I've only bought a few for my PlayBook, so that wouldn't be as big a deal.

    Ugh.
    Verizon Bold 9930 OS 7.0.0.254, PlayBook 32GB WiFi
    Thanked by 2:
    jafobabe (02-23-2012),  tuffy100 (06-16-2011) 
  2. TheScionicMan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,744 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lcooksey View Post
    Note: For security purposes, this reset email will NOT be delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone.
    That's a pain, but makes perfect sense from a security standpoint. If someone found your phone and wanted to get into your AppWorld, they could just request the pword and it would get sent right to the phone.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    jafobabe likes this.
  3. eds817's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,365 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,599 Global Posts
    PIN
    295E4D69
    #3  

    Default

    Thanks for the info. I recently changed mine to my BIS email. Just changed it back.
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
  4. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    55,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    55,812 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    How do you change it from the @blackberry.com?

    Never mind, I got it.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-15-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: figued it out
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
  5. gord888's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    277 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Won't your password still get delivered to your inbox? you might just need to log into your mail account using a desktop mail client, or a web client.
  6. NFLPLAYBOOK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    934 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gord888 View Post
    Won't your password still get delivered to your inbox? you might just need to log into your mail account using a desktop mail client, or a web client.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I can sign into my email account directly online. Even if it's a provider email account.
  7. lcooksey's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gord888 View Post
    Won't your password still get delivered to your inbox? you might just need to log into your mail account using a desktop mail client, or a web client.
    Doesn't work with a BIS email, at least not thru Verizon. They do not have webmail or SMTP for email addresses for the domain vzw.blackberry.net.

    So there is no way to check messages other than getting them on your BB.
    Verizon Bold 9930 OS 7.0.0.254, PlayBook 32GB WiFi
  8. lcooksey's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default Resolved: switching BlackBerry ID to new email address

    After two calls to PlayBook tech support and about four hours of talking to four different techs, the problem is fixed. The last guy I dealt with, Kevin, finally got info from documentation or another tech that if I created a new BB ID and associated it with the same purchasing info as the old ID, all my apps would be associated with the new ID. But it would require a security wipe of the PlayBook.

    That seems to have worked. All the apps I had purchased are showing up when I log into the new ID on both my phone and my PlayBook. *crosses fingers*
    Verizon Bold 9930 OS 7.0.0.254, PlayBook 32GB WiFi
    jafobabe likes this.
  9. mobibiz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    355 Posts
    PIN
    Email me at mobibizhelpdesk@mobibizlive.com
    #9  

    Default

    Quite an interesting observation, for the sake of other community members and readers who visit this. I'd like to suggest that the issue is that RIM's app world password reset thing sends out an email address to the one registered. Now if it's ur BIS account and your device is not operational, you don't have any option left to check and retrieve the same. Hence religiously follow what has been suggested here.
    Warm Regards
    Vivek
    If you have an issue and need my assistance, let me know by posting on the blog, or mobibizhelpdesk@mobibizlive.com)

    "If you have every reason to be sad, then be happy for no reason"
  10. jdesignz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    202 Posts
    PIN
    26E69C46
    #10  

    Default

    Sorry, newbie here but I didn't know that there's a BIS email? I use 3 emails on my Torch, GMail, Yahoo and my own website email. We only do have three network carriers here in my country but I don't think neither of them has BIS email enabled. Maybe, for postpaid/plan subscribers. I only use prepaid. Anyway, this is quite an interesting topic.
    OS 6.0.0.747 · BBM 6.2.0.56 · Facebook 3.2.0.12 · Twitter 3.2.0.7
    BL Ultimate OS6 | BL Ultimate OS7.1 | Twitter @jdesignz
    BerryLicio.us
    Your Source of BlackBerry News & Reviews
  11. Tiassa's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    780 Posts
    PIN
    you probably aren't going to get it
    #11  

    Default

    I only use my blackberry.net address as a place to forward email from other e-mail addresses that I want to (temporarily) monitor on my BB. I also give it out as a "pager" address. I don't want any important e-mail address tied to something as fickle as a cell phone service provider.
    Why was God able to create the world in 7 days? He didn't have an installed base!
  12. ADGrant's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,626 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,580 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiassa View Post
    I only use my blackberry.net address as a place to forward email from other e-mail addresses that I want to (temporarily) monitor on my BB. I also give it out as a "pager" address. I don't want any important e-mail address tied to something as fickle as a cell phone service provider.
    I don't use mine at all and never bothered to set it up.
  13. ComfyJammies's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    49 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    They need to allow you to change the email address. That is so stupid. Sometimes people use work or other emails, and then they change jobs or internet providers and need to change their email addresses. Pretty dumb. I did use my vzw.blackberry.net email, I don't know why, because it's a blackberry? Thankfully I don't think I'll forget my password, so I won't have that problem, but it's still annoying.
  14. NebraskaPackRat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    I'm purchasing my first BlackBerry next month (already went through the pros/cons for Android/Iphone/WindowsPhone and decided on BlackBerry). I'm trying to figure out if I should set up an account on my cell provider's BIS server. I've read quite a bit about the BIS server, what it does, what it doesn't do, etc. It looks like I can link my other accounts to a BIS account for it to grab emails from my other providers. Is this necessary? If you have a provider BIS email, what do you use it for?

    My apologies if this isn't the right place. It seemed logical based on a couple responses in this thread regarding being careful where to use the BIS email address.

    Thanks.

    Future BlackBerry User...the wait is killing me!
  15. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    BlackBerry Diva

    Posts
    7,770 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaPackRat View Post
    I'm purchasing my first BlackBerry next month (already went through the pros/cons for Android/Iphone/WindowsPhone and decided on BlackBerry). I'm trying to figure out if I should set up an account on my cell provider's BIS server. I've read quite a bit about the BIS server, what it does, what it doesn't do, etc. It looks like I can link my other accounts to a BIS account for it to grab emails from my other providers. Is this necessary? If you have a provider BIS email, what do you use it for?

    My apologies if this isn't the right place. It seemed logical based on a couple responses in this thread regarding being careful where to use the BIS email address.

    Thanks.

    Future BlackBerry User...the wait is killing me!
    I use my major 3 email addresses for most of my contacts... only 1 person has my
    blackberry.net address, so if I need to change it, it won't be too much to notify
    a lot of contacts.
    ~DENISE~
    YES, I DO BELIEVE THAT I AM WORTH IT!

    PLEASE STOP WITH THE LONG POSTS! YOU'RE BORING US.
  16. Motorcycle Mama's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    10,170 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Yet another (of a long list) of reasons to NEVER use the @carrier.blackberry.net email address for ANYTHING important. Just don't use it.
  17. ADGrant's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,626 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,580 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaPackRat View Post
    I'm purchasing my first BlackBerry next month (already went through the pros/cons for Android/Iphone/WindowsPhone and decided on BlackBerry). I'm trying to figure out if I should set up an account on my cell provider's BIS server.
    You should not.
  18. Denise in Los Angeles's Avatar
    BlackBerry Diva

    Posts
    7,770 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
    Yet another (of a long list) of reasons to NEVER use the @carrier.blackberry.net email address for ANYTHING important. Just don't use it.
    While it is a good reason to not use it for an important log in, I do love having it as
    a private email for one person.
    ~DENISE~
    YES, I DO BELIEVE THAT I AM WORTH IT!

    PLEASE STOP WITH THE LONG POSTS! YOU'RE BORING US.
  19. Tõnis's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,086 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D
    #19  

    Default

    Well, it doesn't sound like a problem with the address. It's more a matter of BlackBerry ID/playbook refusing to email reset info to your device. I use mine, because I like having an email address that comes with a service I pay for and can't be accessed from the web. But I can see how one could be screwed if he loses his device and can't get another BlackBerry or in a case like the one you've described.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  20. ADGrant's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,626 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,580 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tõnis View Post
    Well, it doesn't sound like a problem with the address. It's more a matter of BlackBerry ID/playbook refusing to email reset info to your device. I use mine, because I like having an email address that comes with a service I pay for and can't be accessed from the web. But I can see how one could be screwed if he loses his device and can't get another BlackBerry or in a case like the one you've described.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Personally I hate the idea of having an email address tied to a particular brand of cellphone, a particular cellphone carrier or an ISP.
  21. Tõnis's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,086 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D
    #21  

    Default

    Why?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  22. ADGrant's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,626 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,580 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tõnis View Post
    Why?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I want to be able to change my device or carrier without informing anyone of my new email address and I want ot be able to read my email on any of my mobile devices or computers.
  23. Tõnis's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,086 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D
    #23  

    Default

    Okay I see. I don't give the address out, but I have it set up so password recovery info and receipts for financial transactions go there.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jafobabe likes this.
  24. HaTaX's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Hmm, RIM should really look at this issue and warn people if they're signing up with a BIS hosted address. Really isn't that hard, if the email address has ".blackberry.net" at the end, it's hosted by RIM and the user should be warned that password resetting would be compromised. Or just refuse people from signing up with those domains...
  25. ADGrant's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,626 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,580 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tõnis View Post
    Okay I see. I don't give the address out, but I have it set up so password recovery info and receipts for financial transactions go there.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So if you change carrier or device, you won't be able to recover lost passwords. You should send password recovery information to your main account and change the password when you have accessed the account.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions