Alright guys, there are a lot of smart people on the forums here. So let's have a debate. Rules are simple, refute the last argument, state a new argument.

This week's topic: Which is better, Torch 9860 or Bold 9900?

Argument: The torch has a larger screen and is more likely to compete in today's market.
    05-11-12 12:47 PM
    Agreed! The 9860 is an awesome phone. Will never understand why it wasn't given a fair chance, or any chance at all really!
    05-11-12 12:56 PM
    The 9900 is a better device for me simply because of what I do. I email and message a LOT, im talking thousands of messages a week. A touch screen will be hard pressed to keep up with that. I use the touch for navigating icons, but text input is definitely the keyboard.
    05-11-12 12:59 PM
    There arwe a lot of people who manage just fine with a touchscreen device when it comes to texts and emails. When I had an iPhone or all touchscreen Android device, typing tons of messages waasnt an issue at all. However, I do like the feel of the physical keyboard better. I prefer the physical keyboard also because of the keyboard shortcuts. It makes the device really efficient for me.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    05-11-12 01:04 PM
    The 9900 is a better device for me simply because of what I do. I email and message a LOT, im talking thousands of messages a week. A touch screen will be hard pressed to keep up with that. I use the touch for navigating icons, but text input is definitely the keyboard.
    Agreed ! It's the best of both worlds
    05-11-12 01:11 PM
    There arwe a lot of people who manage just fine with a touchscreen device when it comes to texts and emails. When I had an iPhone or all touchscreen Android device, typing tons of messages wasnt an issue at all. However, I do like the feel of the physical keyboard better. I prefer the physical keyboard also because of the keyboard shortcuts. It makes the device really efficient for me.
    Im not arguing that people cant type well on them at all. I have tried both and for my purposes a touch screen doesn't cut it. (for instance yesterday I received over 3000 emails, sent about 15-20% of that, countless BBMs etc). My life revolves around e-mail and I frequently will receive an e-mail on my BlackBerry and start typing long before it comes into Outlook, meaning i use the BB keyboard as much (likely more) as a standard sized desktop keyboard.
    05-11-12 01:13 PM
    There arwe a lot of people who manage just fine with a touchscreen device when it comes to texts and emails. When I had an iPhone or all touchscreen Android device, typing tons of messages waasnt an issue at all. However, I do like the feel of the physical keyboard better. I prefer the physical keyboard also because of the keyboard shortcuts. It makes the device really efficient for me.
    I think the catch with that is that you actually first have to LIKE to use a touch screen which I do not. For me 9900 all the way. I do not like slide out or flip open keyboards either.
    05-11-12 01:14 PM
    the 9900 is the perfect device for me. It's true, i know tons of people who say the touch screens are just as good as the physical keyboard. But have you every tried to type while walking and looking where you're going. I've gotten to use to typing with the keys that I rarely need to look down a the screen. I don't have neck pains and look like a hunch back like most people out there typing on their phones. And I don't walk into traffic, which I've seen many people do. That's just my own personal opinion and experience. But to each their own.
    05-11-12 01:18 PM
    Interesting thread! I'm with the best of both world camp. I think nothing beats the speed and accuracy of the 9900's physical keyboard, plus it has the largest screen of any device of it's type. That is a device WITHOUT a slideout or touch only keyboard, the "classic" RIM form factor, the 99XX is the BEST of that form factor. The addition of the touch screen only enhances it. The 99XX also have the ultimate evolution of both the software, next comes a whole new OS and the pointing device. I started out on a trackwheel which I loved, BUT the trackpad puts it to shame. The 99XX is THE RIM device right now. The 98XX series is nice, but it does not hold a candle to the 99XX!
    triplealiali and shemaree09 like this.
    05-11-12 01:29 PM
    I agree, I like the Bold 9900 alot better (I just mentioned the other in the OP to start the thread) but mainly because it personifies the BlackBerry the best. With the keyboard & touchscreen combo, trackpad, etc. it is really a better fit for me.
    05-11-12 03:57 PM
    I agree the 9900 is a great phone, but the 9860 has a bigger screen which is awesome (I hardly use my laptop at all) if you compare both phone, spec wize they are pretty much identical. it does come down to preference in the end.

The keybord on the 9860 doesn't get the kudos it deserves. The suretype is actually very very good, I don't get 3000 emails a day but more less around 50 and approx 30-40 BBM\text easy on a daily basis, once you get use the keybord you don't even need to look at it half the time.

Most of us have used a blackberry with a keybord no doubt they are fantastic. The 9860 has an awesome keyboard in its own way. Too bad RIM didn't promote this phone.

We are all in the Blackberry camp in the END! Let's Rock and Roll This!
    Last edited by evacobra; 05-11-12 at 06:03 PM.
    05-11-12 03:57 PM
    Yea the 9860 is a solid device. Two of my buddies love them. For me it's the 99xx. I i'm a huge keyboard fan. Both of their 9860's are unlocked(same network). It's a joke between us....my 9930 processes data and such a little faster. Like the other person said...we are all team BlackBerry.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-11-12 04:12 PM
    I was a big fan of the 9600 when I upgraded I went with the 9860 and will never go back to a keyboard. I can only say that because of Vlingo otherwise typing on the keyboard is easier then the touch screen but I think that has a lot to do with the 9860s screen keyboard.
    05-11-12 04:56 PM
    Bold 9900 hands down

It has THE BEST keyboard and is much more sleeker than the Torch.
    05-11-12 05:03 PM
    I have 9810 and a physical keyboard is my go to when I write my e-mails. Only time virtual keyboard becomes better is when I need to switch languages :-)

However, I am sure if I write enough of other languages, it can become a second nature.

In the end about this topic, it is all about what you do the most with your device. I decided to check out 9810 because I can try out best of both world. However, I have come to my conclusion that my next BB would be in old style BB with physical keyboard like 9900.

Cheers
    05-11-12 05:15 PM
    The Torch is a much better phone and it does not look old fashioned like the bold.
    05-11-12 05:36 PM
    I opted for the full screen - but I do love the 9900 as well. My only regret with getting the 9850 is the fact that it has been treated like the red-headed stepchild when it comes to accessories and themes and such. Otherwise it is a great device- (and the camera is better).
    05-11-12 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD